23 Jun '13 11:501 edit

WHITE TO PLAY
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 16:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    [fen]1k6/1P6/2P5/P7/5ppp/8/6K1/8 b - - 0 1[/fen]

WHITE TO PLAY
    unsolvable you chickens! well i couldn't do it either, still dont know what the solution is after many attempts.
  3. out on bail
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 17:001 edit
    unsolvable you chickens! well i couldn't do it either, still dont know what the solution is after many attempts.
    Kg1 I think wins for white. ER.... perhaps not!

( I need to think again!!)
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 17:06
    It's not really solvable, because there aren't any forced moves. But here's one solution I came up with:

5. out on bail
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 17:14
    Originally posted by vivify
    It's not really solvable, because there aren't any forced moves. But here's one solution I came up with:

[pgn][Date "????.??.??"]
    [Result "*"]
    [FEN "1k6/1P6/2P5/P7/5ppp/8/6K1/8 w - - 0 1"]

1.a6 f3+ 2.Kf2 h3 3.c7+ Ka7 4.c8=Q
    *[/pgn]
    3...kxc7!
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 17:152 edits
    [fen]1k6/1P6/2P5/P7/5ppp/8/6K1/8 b - - 0 1[/fen]

WHITE TO PLAY
    There is only one winning move for White- all other moves win for Black.

Here's a hint: Black will lose if he is forced into a position where he has to move his king. White's goal is to maneuver his king in such a way that, when Black inevitably moves his pawns, he can place his king in a position to blockade them so that subsequent pawn moves would only result in black losing them one by one.

When that is accomplished, black will be in zugzwang. He will either lose all his pawns, or he will have to move his king, and if his king moves, white can advance his pawns and win.

Yeah, I know it's a big hint, but knowing the plan does not mean that the position will play itself, so you still have to find the moves.

EDIT: The important thing is to know how a king can stop three connected passed pawns in the absence of any other piece intervention. Know that, and all positions like this become much easier to solve.

2nd EDIT: We need an endgame blog.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 18:47
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    There is only one winning move for White- all other moves win for Black.

Here's a hint: Black will lose if he is forced into a position where he has to move his king. White's goal is to maneuver his king in such a way that, when Black inevitably moves his pawns, he can place his king in a position to blockade them so that subsequent pawn moves woul ...[text shortened]... d all positions like this become much easier to solve.

2nd EDIT: We need an endgame blog.
    oh its no use , no matter how i shuffle my king around, one of the outside pawns always makes queen! How hard can it be, its a one in six chance for goodness sake.

P.S thanks for the hint, ill get this sucka if it takes me all summer, which it probably will.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 01:05
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 01:17
    Originally posted by michael liddle
    3...kxc7!
    *bangs head on keyboard*

Thanks.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 01:17
    And SG is offically God.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 07:402 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    [pgn]
    [Event "Edited position"]
    [Date "2013.06.23"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "-"]
    [Black "-"]
    [Result " "]
    [FEN "1k6/1P6/2P5/P7/5ppp/8/6K1/8 w - - 0 1"]
    [SetUp "1"]
    1. Kg1 { ! - it is extremely important to wait and directly blockade any pawn that may advance. If 1.a6? then 1...g3! and white's K must let a P advance to f3 or h3, which is death. } 1... K establishes a direct blockade, it is all over. } 4...Kc7 5.a7 {1-0}
    [/pgn]
    yes i eventually got it through a process of elimination, King has five moves, all moves on the second rank fail because black will be able to reach a formation and queen a pawn and we cannot stop him. Kf2 ...h3, Kh2 ...f3 and we end up with a formation that is impossible or us to stop, that leaves three moves, Kf1, Kg1 and Kh1. Kf1 ...h3, Kh1 ...f3 and again we are in an formation that is impossible for us to blockade effectively, the only move therefore, after having eliminated all others must be Kg1!! and now if ....g3 then Kf2 and we blockade successfully or eat pawn, or if ...h3 then Kh2 and we blockade successfully or eat pawn, or if ...g3 then Kg2 and again we are successful.

a thoroughly instructive problem, thanks to everyone for taking the time. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to play through branches of variations in the the annotation window.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 08:441 edit
    yes i eventually got it through a process of elimination, King has five moves, all moves on the second rank fail because black will be able to reach a formation and queen a pawn and we cannot stop him. Kf2 ...h3, Kh2 ...f3 and we end up with a formation that is impossible for us to stop, that leaves three moves, Kf1, Kg1 and Kh1. Kf1 ...h3, Kh1 ... ...[text shortened]... dn't it be nice to be able to play through branches of variations in the the annotation window.
    oops double post sowwy!
  13. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 10:13
    That SwissGambit guy has got a brain🙂
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 23:44
    OK not a problem as in a "white to win" type, but in this game I've just played over on chesscube there are some real endgame problems I need to solve. The guy I was playing was rated some 300 points higher so when he kept exchanging down I was quite happy as I thought I could draw the endgame fairly easily, but he posed some real issues for me to deal with. I'm white the fun starts at move 25. My mind set is "easy opposite coloured bishops draw"

what I thought was an easily drawn endgame proved to be anything but (and I'm sure I missed loads in the game and the analysis so feel free to point it out !)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree