1. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 08:39
    I played in the Hearts chess congress yesterday, minor tourney ECF 120. I won one (opps rating ecf 39) and drew the 2nd (opps ECF rating 114) , and took a bye in the third. I was so nervous in the first game that most of my time was spent ruining my score sheet and forgetting to touch the clock, saying that my opponent was brilliant as was everyone at the event . In the 2nd game I was more composed , having some help from the organiser about quick notation, I still kept forgetting to stop the clock. I,m supposed to play two games today , but I'm knackered , I fell a sleep as soon as I got in . I'm still on a high and am looking at the London classic rapid play tourneys in December. Has anyone got an advice about controlling nerves , or is this completely normal, my heart rate seem to go through the roof. I'll post the games if anyone's interested, I'll have to wait till the organisers post them , my sheets are a mess.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 10:42
    Originally posted by kaminsky
    I played in the Hearts chess congress yesterday, minor tourney ECF 120. I won one (opps rating ecf 39) and drew the 2nd (opps ECF rating 114) , and took a bye in the third. I was so nervous in the first game that most of my time was spent ruining my score sheet and forgetting to touch the clock, saying that my opponent was brilliant as was everyone at the e ...[text shortened]... if anyone's interested, I'll have to wait till the organisers post them , my sheets are a mess.
    If it's any consolation to you, you're not the only one there who is nervous. If there is a separate hall for post mortems, go there after your games are finished and strike up some conversations. You are bound to find someone there to share your experiences with and help you analyze your games. You might be able to look over the shoulders of some stronger players and watch as they analyze their games; you'll learn a lot that way. I recall playing in the US Open at the time of Fischer-Spassky. Bent Larsen and Walter Browne were playing in the US Open that year (having been knocked out by Fischer in the candidates). It was grand watching them analyze their games; they were happy to comment aloud for anyone who cared to listen. Larsen would then comment on the latest developments in Fischer-Spassky (the moves were relayed from Iceland by fax directly to the hotel). Chin up, and good luck!
  3. e4
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 12:36
    "I'll post the games if anyone's interested."

Please do.
  4. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 13:35
    Originally posted by moonbus
    If it's any consolation to you, you're not the only one there who is nervous. If there is a separate hall for post mortems, go there after your games are finished and strike up some conversations. You are bound to find someone there to share your experiences with and help you analyze your games. You might be able to look over the shoulders of some stronger p ...[text shortened]... sky (the moves were relayed from Iceland by fax directly to the hotel). Chin up, and good luck!
    Although the Herts chess congress isn't the US open, I was impressed with the stamina of most of the players after 2/3 hr games ,standing around the analysis tables going over games and using engines on laptops. I had to wait a couple of hours , but wasn't bored there seem to be plenty of characters at these things. I was dreading being drawn against a precocious 8 year old , I thought of asking the doctor for some beta blockers , but a thread in chess.com says they're banned , looks like its vodka.
  5. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 13:38
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    "I'll post the games if anyone's interested."

Please do.
    As soon as Herts put them on the database , I'll put them up , thx.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 21:031 edit
    I played in the Hearts chess congress yesterday, minor tourney ECF 120. I won one (opps rating ecf 39) and drew the 2nd (opps ECF rating 114) , and took a bye in the third. I was so nervous in the first game that most of my time was spent ruining my score sheet and forgetting to touch the clock, saying that my opponent was brilliant as was everyone at the e ...[text shortened]... if anyone's interested, I'll have to wait till the organisers post them , my sheets are a mess.
    Have a drink or a doobie before the game. πŸ™‚
    The scoresheet will be much worse but you won't care πŸ˜›
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 21:041 edit
    "I thought of asking the doctor for some beta blockers , but a thread in chess.com says they're banned , looks like its vodka."

There is no ban on B vitamins. And remember that no one's infallible--not even Fischer was.
  8. SubscriberRagwortonline
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 21:49
    Hey - I was playing in the Major - the next section up from you.

If I had noticed this thread this morning maybe we could have introduced ourselves.
    What you describe sounds to me like "the buzz of OTB" - you'll get used to it in time and the routine of move, clock, score-sheet helps to settle things down.
  9. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 07:04
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Have a drink or a doobie before the game. πŸ™‚
    The scoresheet will be much worse but you won't care πŸ˜›
    Doobie ,is it alright if you don't inhale.
  10. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 07:09
    "I thought of asking the doctor for some beta blockers , but a thread in chess.com says they're banned , looks like its vodka."

There is no ban on B vitamins. And remember that no one's infallible--not even Fischer was.
    I'll try anything including vitamin B , probably better though to keep things in perspective.
  11. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 07:18
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    Hey - I was playing in the Major - the next section up from you.

If I had noticed this thread this morning maybe we could have introduced ourselves.
    What you describe sounds to me like "the buzz of OTB" - you'll get used to it in time and the routine of move, clock, score-sheet helps to settle things down.
    Pity a bit of friendly advice would have calmed me down, really more play is the answer, the London classic rapid tourneys are held over 1 day probably suit me and get more otb games under my belt.
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 02:40
    If it's any consolation to you, you're not the only one there who is nervous. If there is a separate hall for post mortems, go there after your games are finished and strike up some conversations. You are bound to find someone there to share your experiences with and help you analyze your games. You might be able to look over the shoulders of some stronger p ...[text shortened]... sky (the moves were relayed from Iceland by fax directly to the hotel). Chin up, and good luck!
    This is excellent advice.
  13. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 03:04
    I can't imagine what I'd be like OTB now... I suspect I would still write on the scoresheet P-K4. I don't think I ever played OTB when it wasn't part of a team though.. so always had someone to banter with. Respect for going alone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree