1. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 10:38
    I met this for the first time last night (in an OTB game) and felt I was rather lucky to get a draw. Has anyone got any games they can show me where Black does better than I managed to do?
  2. e4
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 13:50
    Not too fond of 12...Ne8. He has to hold the g-pawn whilst prepping h4-h5
    and g5 - Nh5 holds things up. (I hope)

But that is defending.

12...a4, let him worry about a3 or Knight sacs on b3.

Couple that with c6. or Qe7 ideas getting the f8 Rook to b8 and playing b5.

You held on well defending. It looked very dodgy OTB at one stage,
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 18:441 edit
    In my chess club during late seventies on club championships it was popualr variation 6. h3 on King´s Indian so-called Bagirov´s system becaues he used to play it very often.

Black could be stubborn with ...Nh5 and ...f5, as it was usually the case then, or - as theory now recommends - to attack on Queen Wing with movement of "a" Pawn a5-a4-a3, and Qb8, and Rf-/c/b8 etc.

White was too nervous in his attacks, "h5" was premature but you weren´t aware that it was you who had advantage after White played h5 and you took the Pawn on "g4".

edit::
    With Bagirov´s system White wanted to avoid long variations of Mar Del Plate.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 23:28
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    I met this for the first time last night (in an OTB game) and felt I was rather lucky to get a draw. Has anyone got any games they can show me where Black does better than I managed to do?
    [pgn]
    [White "Latvian bloke"]
    [Black "Fat Lady"]
    [Result "1/2-1/2"]

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. d4 g6 3. c4 d6 4. Nc3 Nbd7 5. e4 e5
    6. d5 Bg7 7. h3 Nc5 8.Qc2 a5 9. Be3 b6 10. g ...[text shortened]... 8. Rxh5 Nf6 19. Rxh7+ Nxh7 20. Rh1 Kg8
    21. Nxh7 Rf7 22. Bg5 Qe8 23. Bh6 Qe7 24. Bg5 Qe8
    [/pgn]
    I found a few games that I believe to be of interest. (I grew up thinking of this as the "Benko-Pinter Attack" from Nunn's works on the KID, but I am sure the exact permutations and names vary a bit by region.)

The first is a Radjabov- Morozevich game where black varied on move 9 ( I would have played 9. ... b6 just like you almost out of reflex). It is a much higher quality game ratings-wise than any of the others.

Morozevich had a clear advantage at one point (in my opinion), but Radjabov plays tenaciously and shows that his expertise on the black side also helps him as white!

Your move 12. ... Ne8 is apparently a novelty, with ...Qb8 and ...a4 being the preference in ascending order. Here are the two highest-quality examples I could find:

Now with 12. ... a4:

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree