1. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    24 Feb '15 03:31
    How do you hang a picture from two nails (with a piece of string) in such a way that removing any of the nails will cause the picture to fall down?
  2. Aylesbury
    Moves
    24 Feb '15 15:04
    Tie a knot in the string. Clamp the knot between 2 nails.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '15 19:08
    Knock one nail into the wall, the other into the picture frame. Loop the string around them.
  4. Aylesbury
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 21:20
    Knock 2 nails into the wall, level, just about as wide apart as the picture width. Balance the picture on the nails. Throw the string away.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 08:21
    Originally posted by Duncan Clarke
    Knock 2 nails into the wall, level, just about as wide apart as the picture width. Balance the picture on the nails. Throw the string away.
    That's good but the picture would not be "hanging".

1. "Hang" picture on taut string between two nails.

2. Put the nails in the wall level and 2x cm apart where x is distance to floor.
    Hang string over both nails, removal of one will cause picture to hit floor.
  6. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 04:481 edit
    These are all arguable solutions. But what if the nails are already in the wall, high enough; the string is short enough and already attached to the picture; and in general all is prepared for a completely normal hanging of a picture?
  7. Aylesbury
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 17:01
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    These are all arguable solutions. But what if the nails are already in the wall, high enough; the string is short enough and already attached to the picture; and in general all is prepared for a completely normal hanging of a picture?
    In which case, why bother with a difficult and pointless solution. Loop the string over both nails. Then if one falls out, then the picture will still be hanging. After all, what is the point of the string and nails, of not to hang the picture?
  8. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 20:531 edit
    Originally posted by Duncan Clarke
    In which case, why bother with a difficult and pointless solution. Loop the string over both nails. Then if one falls out, then the picture will still be hanging. After all, what is the point of the string and nails, of not to hang the picture?
    There is no point, there are just stipulations. And a beautiful solution to be discovered.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 01:03
    There is no point, there are just stipulations. And a beautiful solution to be discovered.
    A "beautiful solution" .. so it isn't a trick.
    Topology?
    Somehow make both nails "outside" the loop of string.
    Cant fathom it at the moment ... where's ball of string!?
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 17:09
    How do you hang a picture from two nails (with a piece of string) in such a way that removing any of the nails will cause the picture to fall down?
    Consider this: We have twoo loops at the picture frame which are large enough to let a knot through.

Now thread the string through both loops. make a knot on nail 1 and make a seond knot around nail two.
  11. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 17:453 edits
    What do you mean by the string being "already attached to the picture"?

In what manner?

My solution would be similar to ponderable's (I think?):

Tie the string in a loop, thread the loop through a hole or under a hook on the picture frame, and put the two ends of the loop around each of the nails.
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 17:59
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    What do you mean by the string being "already attached to the picture"?

In what manner?

My solution would be similar to ponderable's (I think?):

Tie the string in a loop, thread the loop through a hole or under a hook on the picture frame, and put the two ends of the loop around each of the nails.
    The arrangement is similar to mine indeed.

And I have missed the "already attached" part 🙁
  13. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 19:452 edits
    I'm sorry I'm not making it very clear. I've been trying to get around the fact that I don't know a certain word in English and have failed. I think I know how to say it now. There are two holes , one in each of the upper corners of the rectangular picture frame. The two ends of the string are tied firmly to the holes is such a way that the string and the upper side of the frame form a loop. There are no knots in the string except for the ones that tie it to the frame. These knots are taboo -- you cannot touch them. The whole contraption lies on a table in such a way that there are no self-crossings of the string. Your task is to pick it up and hang it The two nails are already in the wall, at the same night, within a reasonable distance from each other.

I really like the last two solutions!
  14. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 08:22
    The nails are at the same hight, not at the same night. 🙂 Sorry, that was autocorrect.
  15. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 08:25
    The nails are at the same hight, not at the same night. 🙂 Sorry, that was autocorrect.
    height would probably have stood 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree