1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 18:28
    http://phys.org/news/2014-12-evidence-mysterious-phase-high-temperature-superconductivity.html

-one incremental step towards room temperature superconductors I hope
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 14:46
    Originally posted by humy
    http://phys.org/news/2014-12-evidence-mysterious-phase-high-temperature-superconductivity.html

-one incremental step towards room temperature superconductors I hope
    Progress in this field is frustratingly slow.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 18:562 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Progress in this field is frustratingly slow.
    Yes. I wonder why exactly. If it was simple to understand high temperature superconductivity then someone would have already explained it by now.
    Perhaps totally new yet-to-discover physics is needed to understand high temperature superconductivity?
    Or perhaps no new physics needed and the old quantum physics needs to be applied in an extraordinary complex and subtle way nobody has yet imagined?
    Or perhaps what is required to understand it is so complex and subtle that no human will work it out in a million years because it requires a far greater intellect than any human intellect and the only hope is for us to create an AI with that greater intellect and work it out for us?
    ...If only we could somehow at least narrow down these possibilities.
    Hopefully we will know within our lifetimes.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 19:02
    Originally posted by humy
    Yes. I wonder why exactly.
    Perhaps totally new yet-to-discover physics is needed to understand superconductivity?
    Or perhaps no new physics needed and the old quantum physics needs to be applied in an extraordinary complex and subtle way nobody has yet imagined?
    Or perhaps what is required to understand it is so complex and subtle that no human will work ...[text shortened]... th that greater intellect and work it out for us?
    Hopefully we will know within our lifetimes.
    It also may be a problem worked out on the fastest of the fastest exaflop computers which should should be here in a few years. I think they are around 3.5% of an Exaflop machne so far, like 35ish petaflops. Can you imagine that home computers in 20 years might be pumping out a petaflop!

The petaflop tablet🙂
  5. Joined
    27 Jan '15
    Moves
    27 Jan '15 00:29

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    27 Jan '15
    Moves
    27 Jan '15 00:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree