1. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 02:54
    does anyone seriously think it's "fair" to do nothing but try and force a draw when you find yourself in a losing position??? and the "people do it to me" excuse is pretty weak by the way...
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 03:011 edit
    Originally posted by fatherdeath
    does anyone seriously think it's "fair" to do nothing but try and force a draw when you find yourself in a losing position??
    Yes
    And if he's in a losing position, how is it possible he forced a draw? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 03:08
    why not resign if you won't try to win? you spend the entire game trying to win, then the second you have 1 less piece then your opponent you go for a draw?? thats more cowardly then anything else to me.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 03:19
    why not resign if you won't try to win? you spend the entire game trying to win, then the second you have 1 less piece then your opponent you go for a draw?? thats more cowardly then anything else to me.
    Why resign when you can force a draw? Not only is it fair, any true chess player lives to do that very thing.

Consider tiddly winks. ๐Ÿ˜•
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 04:011 edit
    Well, your opinion is more ignorant than anything else to me.

Learn to protect your King if you want to win with your extra piece. Or take up something more your speed, like checkers or knitting.

Edit: Yep, found it. Game 10416783. You screwed it up. You had a win, and blew it. Suck it up and take the draw.
  6. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 04:25
    You ask why your opponent plays on when he can't win. I ask why you play on when you can't win.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 05:35
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Well, your opinion is more ignorant than anything else to me.

Learn to protect your King if you want to win with your extra piece. Or take up something more your speed, like checkers or knitting.

Edit: Yep, found it. Game 10416783. You screwed it up. You had a win, and blew it. Suck it up and take the draw.
    Explain it to him as John Madden. ๐Ÿ˜€
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 05:42
    does anyone seriously think it's "fair" to do nothing but try and force a draw when you find yourself in a losing position??? and the "people do it to me" excuse is pretty weak by the way...
    Forcing a draw when you can't win is part of strategy. Preventing your opponent from forcing a draw when HE can't win is part of strategy. Nothing to do with fairness.
  9. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 06:022 edits
    If you can't win from a winning position then you deserve the draw you get.

I mess up in the endings all the time, it can happen to anyone. Check out this game.

KnightStalker47 (1964) vs. SeinfeldFan91 (2239)

10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 06:051 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Explain it to him as John Madden. ๐Ÿ˜€
    You run over there, and BOOM! Queen check. So you try to run over there, and BOOM! - another Queen check. Run-Boom-Run-Boom-Run-Boom and you're back where ya started. And then BOOM! He does it all over again.
  11. Joined
    04 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 08:36
    You run over there, and BOOM! Queen check. So you try to run over there, and BOOM! - another Queen check. Run-Boom-Run-Boom-Run-Boom and you're back where ya started. And then BOOM! He does it all over again.
    Oh my goodness, that is hilarious!
  12. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 08:46
    Of course it's fair. If you find that you can force a draw, you are not in a losing position.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 10:311 edit
    I made a list of things that are considered rude, unfair - in general against sport spirit, and I made a list of in/to/do things, recommended thing.

Rude!

- using en passant rule
    - not resigning if your opponent think you should do that
    - forbidding your opponnet to make 2 moves as a White at the begininng of the game simply because FIDE rules say so
    - promotong something other than Queen (*if that helps you avoid stalemate)
    - seeking for a draw when in weaker or lost position
    - claiming three-fold repetition in lost or dead draw position
    - or, in short, using any rule which is uncommon in the mountains where people mix checkers and domino with chess

Good! (*recommended behavior)

- coughing at the face of your opponent during the game
    - making irritating noise with a tea spoon and a cup of coffee or tea during the game
    - making excuses before and after the game (complaining over hangover, tiredness, illness or mentioning any other distractions, that should belittle opponent's win in advance or post festum)
    - starting conversation during the game in order to distract the opponent
    - smoking and blowing smoke in opponent-s face (provided thre is a smoking permition /that smoking is legally allowed/)
    - kicking the opponent under the table
    - using the help (in form of nasty remarks, analysis etc.) of seemingly unbiased kibitzers, that turn to be your cousins, friends etc. (during the game, of course)

That's it.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 11:412 edits
    additional modes of recommended behavior:

1. arrange the seating so that your opponent's face is towards the sun;
    2. keep your revolver concealed under the table and pointed between your opponent's legs at all times;
    3. casually mention that only a wuss would try for a draw when there was still a logically possible blunder your opponent might make in a clearly won position.

I think that about covers it.

PS "If you can force a draw, you're not in a lost position." Correct; you're in a drawn position. It still bears mention, however, that enticing your opponent into a draw when in a lost position is an element of strategy.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 12:08
    12. 0-0-0

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree