1. Joined
    31 Jan '12
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 04:31
    what would happen if I get an opponent in a position where he cannot move his King (only piece left) without moving into check but is not in check where he is?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 04:511 edit
    Originally posted by silverbacked
    what would happen if I get an opponent in a position where he cannot move his King (only piece left) without moving into check but is not in check where he is?
    To win the opponent has to resign, run out time and you claim the win, or be checkmated. So if he can not move that is called a stalemate and the game counts as a draw.

Stalemate is a situation in the game of chess where the player whose turn it is to move is not in check but has no legal moves. A stalemate ends the game in a draw (i.e. having no winner). Stalemate is covered in the rules of chess.

Someone will need to claim the draw. However, you could wait and if he runs out of time and the skull appears you can get a win by clicking on the skull.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalemate

The Instructor
  3. Joined
    31 Jan '12
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 05:18
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    To win the opponent has to resign, run out time and you claim the win, or be checkmated. So if he can not move that is called a stalemate and the game counts as a draw.

Stalemate is a situation in the game of chess where the player whose turn it is to move is not in check but has no legal moves. A stalemate ends the game in a draw (i.e. having no winner) ...[text shortened]... get a win by clicking on the skull.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalemate

The Instructor
    Someone will need to claim the draw. However, you could wait and if he runs out of time and the skull appears you can get a win by clicking on the skull.

ok. if he claims a draw can I refuse it & MAKE him run out of time or will the stalemate be recognised & awarded?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 05:33

ok. if he claims a draw can I refuse it & MAKE him run out of time or will the stalemate be recognised & awarded?
    Normally, in other situation on RHP the person to move has the option of asking for a draw or claiming a draw. If a draw is claimed the RHP computer takes over and determines if it is a draw by the rules of chess. When one asks for a draw he must submit a move and then it would be up to you to accept it or just submit your next move. However, in this case he will not be able to make a legal move and any move he tries to make will be rejected by the RHP computer as not being legal. Therefore, the only thing he can do is claim a draw or not move.

The Instructor
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '12
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 06:43
    Thank you for your informative and comprehensive reply.

Fortunately, after further thinking I have worked out how to get Mate in the next 3 moves and avoid putting him in the position of not being able to move.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 08:45
    Thank you for your informative and comprehensive reply.

Fortunately, after further thinking I have worked out how to get Mate in the next 3 moves and avoid putting him in the position of not being able to move.
    You are not supposed to ask about one of your games in progress on RHP. You can ask about a hypothetical situation or a game that has finished.

The Instructor
  7. e4
    Moves
    02 Jul '13 02:132 edits
    It is now finshed Game 10010717 White was checkmated.

Black missed picking up a piece on move 11 but White found a way
    to give Black an extra piece a few moves later.

A piece up Black had a few half-hearted attempts at getting the Queens off.
    He would have suceeded if he had spotted.

24...Qd5

He may have ending up wish he did because here White has a trap
    that I've seen players walking into even though it's only one move deep.

White played 31.Nxf5 But the Queen sacrifice was worth a try
    31. Qxf5 Nxf5 32. Ne6 mate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree