1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 13:58
    The European Women’s Individual Chess Championship being held in Turkey has new rules that include banning cleavage from the competition.

According to MarySue.com, the organizers are calling a halt to low necklines because of crude comments from the audience.

According to the new rules, women chess players in the tournament may only leave two buttons open on their blouse.

“I heard many comments from spectators and coaches,” Sava Stoisavljevic, the European Chess Union General Secretary, told Chessbase News. “There is dress code in many different sports, and we decided to establish our rules as well.”

… Players who are in violation of the new rules will receive several verbal and written warnings before being forced to leave the competition if they still refuse to comply. Stoisavljevis said they had noticed a lot of improper clothing during tournaments and decided something needed to be done.

The New York Times elaborates:

Headgear, except for religious reasons, is not allowed. Players must be “free of body odor.” Clothing should be free of holes and have “a pulled-together, harmonious, complete look.” And only jewelry “coordinated to the outfit may be worn.”

One would assume lipstick is encouraged given their banner [which depicts a rook lipstick dispenser].

http://blog.chron.com/hottopics/2012/03/chess-players-told-to-cover-their-cleavage/
  2. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 15:231 edit
    “free of body odor.”

do they mean no perfume?or bathe the day you play (prior to the game)?
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 15:291 edit
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    “free of body odor.”

do they mean no perfume?or bathe the day you play (prior to the game)?
    I thought they meant body odor (not perfume). After all, they are primarily Europeans.
  4. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 15:50
    so my smelly feet won't win me any more games 🙁

yes,am guilty of being european
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 16:17
    so my smelly feet won't win me any more games 🙁

yes,am guilty of being european
    I was just kidding.
  6. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 17:27
    i wasn't 😛
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 20:351 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Mar '12 01:15
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The European Women’s Individual Chess Championship being held in Turkey has new rules that include banning cleavage from the competition.

According to MarySue.com, the organizers are calling a halt to low necklines because of crude comments from the audience.

According to the new rules, women chess players in the tournament may only leave two ...[text shortened]... .

http://blog.chron.com/hottopics/2012/03/chess-players-told-to-cover-their-cleavage/
    Personally, I'd want to see photographic proof before I rush to judgment.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Mar '12 19:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Mar '12 21:47
    What a slippery slope we are being led down- any day now I expect to be forced to cover my bald spot. Oh the glare!
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    24 Mar '12 23:49
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    What a slippery slope we are being led down- any day now I expect to be forced to cover my bald spot. Oh the glare!
    If you play poker you might want to do that. 😉
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '12 14:53
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Ridiculous and childish.

I'd like to see them enforce these rules in beach volleyball...

Richard
  13. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    25 Mar '12 16:26
    Gave it some thought and decided I'd much rather lose to a nice cleavage than get blasted off the board in 15 moves by a snotty kid who has memorized half MCO.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '12 17:191 edit
    Gave it some thought and decided I'd much rather lose to a nice cleavage than get blasted off the board in 15 moves by a snotty kid who has memorized half MCO.
    with nice cleavage, you could get into serious time trouble.
  15. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    25 Mar '12 19:501 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Ridiculous and childish.

I'd like to see them enforce these rules in beach volleyball...

Richard
    Interesting. That is in fact the very last rule I'd like to see them enforce in beach volleyball.

Each their own,

Q

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree