1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:101 edit
    Now this may be first (and last) time, but I am going to take RJHinds' advice.

In another thread (where Dasa is evading my enquiry for source material on the Vedas and Islam), he said:

But don't despire for you can use the time searching for the real truth by
    reading the Holy Bible. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!

So that is what I am going to do, cover to cover, starting this Sunday (seemed appropriate). Reasons include:

1) I did English language and literature at University and it was the second book on my first reading list for the most important works to have read for literary references. And I lied to my tutor about having read it, so it is in part to salve my conscience.

2) It's influence in UK society, culture, politics etc is undeniable.

3) It may help to save my immortal soul from eternal damnation. Which would be nice.

I may post some thoughts along the way, but my reason for posting was whether anyone has any views on which version I should read. My inclination is simply to read the Authorised King James version, as this is the version I listened to in chapel at school.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:21
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Congratulations.

Suggest dividing the Bible into 3 sections: OT Psalms & Proverbs and NT, and reading a piece from each each day.

As for the translation I find the AKJ heavy going, but the NIV (which I read for years) loses much of the emphases of the AKJ. I now have a copy of the New King James which is good.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:372 edits

In another thread (where Dasa is evading my enquiry for source material on the Vedas and Islam), he said:

So that is what I is the version I listened to in chapel at school.

yes it has influenced much of western history, life and the arts. That being said, there
    are easier portions to read than others. I would start with the book of Acts, its pacey
    and enthralling, as is the book of Joshua. 1st Kings is also quite readable. I would
    suggest the New world translation of the Holy scriptures, available free from any
    Kingdom hall of Jehovahs witnesses, or from any one of Jehovahs witnesses. Its not
    only the most accurate English translation available (independently verified by
    associate professor Jason BeDuhn), its in my opinion, the most readable as well. Good
    luck with your efforts!
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:38
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Congratulations.

Suggest dividing the Bible into 3 sections: OT Psalms & Proverbs and NT, and reading a piece from each each day.

As for the translation I find the AKJ heavy going, but the NIV (which I read for years) loses much of the emphases of the AKJ. I now have a copy of the New King James which is good.
    Thanks divegeester

I will look into the New King James and compare before picking. I will probably be influenced by how this 'sounds' in relation to other works of art I am familiar with that use the Bible as reference material.

As my day job involves reading a lot of European and UK legislation, I think I can probably handle heavy going if need be!

I will stick with my idea to read cover to cover. Not because I think you are wrong to suggest what you did, but simply because I want to know that I have read everything at least once in my life. Once this is done, I can go back and re-read particular sections.

Thanks for you input.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes it has influenced much of western history, life and the arts. That being said, there
    are easier portions to read than others. I would start with the book of Acts, its pacey
    and enthralling, as is the book of Joshua. 1st Kings is also quite readable.
    Thanks robbie,

You will see from my response to divegeester than I am intending to read cover to cover, but having some signposts along the way may spur me on if my initial enthusiasm begins to wane!

To show my ignorance, I didn't even know there was a book called Joshua. I will look out for it.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:47
    Thanks divegeester

I will look into the New King James and compare before picking. I will probably be influenced by how this 'sounds' in relation to other works of art I am familiar with that use the Bible as reference material.

As my day job involves reading a lot of European and UK legislation, I think I can probably handle heavy going if need ...[text shortened]... e. Once this is done, I can go back and re-read particular sections.

Thanks for you input.
    A 2003 study by Jason BeDuhn, associate professor of religious studies at Northern
    Arizona University in the United States, of nine of "the Bibles most widely in use in
    the English-speaking world," including the New American Bible, The King James Bible
    and The New International Version, examined several New Testament passages in
    which "bias is most likely to interfere with translation." For each passage, he
    compared the Greek text with the renderings of each English translation, and looked
    for biased attempts to change the meaning. BeDuhn reported that the New World
    Translation was "not bias free", but emerged "as the most accurate of the
    translations compared",
    and thus a "remarkably good translation", adding that
    "most of the differences are due to the greater accuracy of the NW as a literal,
    conservative translation"
    . BeDuhn said the introduction of the name "Jehovah"
    into the New Testament 237 times was "not accurate translation by the most basic
    principle of accuracy", and that it "violate[s] accuracy in favor of denominationally
    preferred expressions for God", adding that for the NWT to gain wider acceptance
    and prove its worth its translators might have to abandon the use of "Jehovah" in
    the New Testament.[61]

source wikipedia
  7. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:49
    The bible is a good read if you like fiction.
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:533 edits
    There are many many things in the Bible. And it is easy to get distracted from the main point.

One suggestion is that each week as you read, go to the end of the Bible - Revelation chapters 21 and 22. You will not understand everything you read. But you can remind yourself that this is the final outcome to which everything is culminating.

This is to occasionally remind yourself of where you are going in the Bible as a final destination. It helps to keep you on the highway of God's eternal purpose.

I suggest occasionally you go back to Revelation 21 and 22 and remember - It is all for THIS purpose. This is where everything is headed. This is why God is doing all these things. It is to bring about this. All things He does are for the purpose of this climax.

This may help you to stay on a straight line of God's eternal purpose, all that He is doing to accomplish it throughout the Bible.

My favorite English version is the Recovery Version.

www.recoveryversion.org. (Comes as both New and Old Testament though )

You also should take care that you read to nourish something within you spiritually. You should come with a heart to receive spiritual food for your innermost being.

"Your words were found and I ATE them, And Your word became to me the gladness and joy of my heart." (Jeremiah 15:16)

Read for study. But do not neglect to read for spiritual sustenance, for nourishment, for the joy of feeding something deep within your heart.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:53
    Thanks robbie,

You will see from my response to divegeester than I am intending to read cover to cover, but having some signposts along the way may spur me on if my initial enthusiasm begins to wane!

To show my ignorance, I didn't even know there was a book called Joshua. I will look out for it.
    hmmm, cover to cover is well tedious, infact i fear that it may prove to be so tedious
    that your resolve shall wane and you might give out entirely! Once you get to those
    long genealogies of names, where zarrubabel begat hur, and hur begat absolomn and
    absolomn begat zikri youll be pulling the back pockets off your jeans in despair. Also
    some of the prophets are quite difficult, i read the whole of Isaiah without
    understanding practically anything about it afterwards, it was just words. One needs to
    understand the background in order to mnake sence of the text in instances like this.
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:54
    I would
    suggest the New world translation of the Holy scriptures, available free from any
    Kingdom hall of Jehovahs witnesses, or from any one of Jehovahs witnesses. Its not
    only the most accurate English translation available (independently verified by
    associate professor Jason BeDhunn), its in my opinion, the most readable as well. Good
    luck with your efforts!
    I will also look at this version, by the way. The difficulty is that I am going to have to balance the desire to read the version from a literary/historical perspective, with that of understanding/clarity.

If I make the wrong choice, don't hold it against me!
  11. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:54

So that is what I ...[text shortened]... is the version I listened to in chapel at school.

Good luck with it. It is something I would like to have done but I am not sure that I have the perseverance to actually do it!

I did read a few books of Genesis a couple of years back from a Gideons I liberated from a hotel room.

--- Penguin.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 09:581 edit
    I will also look at this version, by the way. The difficulty is that I am going to have to balance the desire to read the version from a literary/historical perspective, with that of understanding/clarity.

If I make the wrong choice, don't hold it against me!
    yes there is no question that from a literary perspective the King James is a
    fascinating translation. Avoid the New International Version, its a cold and lifeless
    translation in my opinion, insipid in parts and extremely biased in others. A text for
    your enjoyment and encouragement,

(Proverbs 4:6-9) . . .Do not leave it, and it will keep you. Love it, and it will
    safeguard you.  Wisdom is the prime thing. Acquire wisdom; and with all that you
    acquire, acquire understanding.  Highly esteem it, and it will exalt you. It will glorify
    you because you embrace it.  To your head it will give a wreath of charm; a crown
    of beauty it will bestow upon you.”

🙂
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 10:02
    hmmm, cover to cover is well tedious, infact i fear that it may prove to be so tedious
    that your resolve shall wane and you might give out entirely! Once you get to those
    long genealogies of names, where zarrubabel begat hur, and hur begat absolomn and
    absolomn begat zikri youll be pulling the back pockets off your jeans in despair. Also
    so ...[text shortened]... needs to
    understand the background in order to mnake sence of the text in instances like this.
    You are probably right. If you are, I will come back and re-read the suggestions you have made and try again.

Many thanks
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 10:09
    I have only read from cover to cover the whole Bible perhaps 1 to 2 times. The third time I don't know if I finished.

Reading three chapters in the Old Testament and one chapter in the New Testament works.

But to read the Bible constantly is of course a habit.
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 10:12
    Originally posted by jaywill
    There are many many things in the Bible. And it is easy to get distracted from the main point.

One suggestion is that each week as you read, go to the end of the Bible - [b]Revelation
    chapters 21 and 22. You will not understand everything you read. But you can remind yourself that this is the final outcome to which everything is culminating. ...[text shortened]... ritual sustenance, for nourishment, for the joy of feeding something deep within your heart.[/b]
    Thanks jaywill.

I appreciate your perspective.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree