1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 22:1313 edits
    It was my first OTB league game this evening and it would be posted here if only i could sort out the PGN. But it will have to wait till tomorrow.
  2. e4
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 23:12
    Hi PK

If you are having trouble with it PM me the score I'll sort it out.
    (not notes, just the bland score).
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 08:541 edit
    Cheers Geoff. I'll have another stab and then send it over before it gets to me and i throw myself out the window.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 13:322 edits
    Sorted it.

My first proper league OTB game, i'm white.

I'll posts some notes later when i have a bit of time. Comments will be greatly appreciated.
  5. e4
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 15:35
    Hi PK.

You lost! I was skipping through it when I suddenly realised you (or both of
    you were possibly in a spot of time trouble.) You let him right back into it.

Here.

You went trading down with 27.Rc8+ and the 29. Rd3.

OK (understandable for your first league match) but your Rooks are better than
    his and there is a weak back rank, which you exploited to win the piece.

I would not have stopped tormenting my opponent till I was sure I had
    exhausted all the tactics. 27.Bc4.

Hitting the pinned f-pawn Now any luft ideas like 1...h6 meet 2.g6.
    and 2.g6 is the tactical threat as well doubling Rooks on the 7th.
    He won't have time to create any counter play.

6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 17:58
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi PK.

You lost! I was skipping through it when I suddenly realised you (or both of
    you were possibly in a spot of time trouble.) You let him right back into it.

Here.

[fen]1r4k1/p4ppp/2R5/p3p1PP/2B1P3/5r2/P1P5/2KR4 b - - 0 1[/fen]
    You went trading down with 27.Rc8+ and the 29. Rd3.

OK (understandable for your first league match) but your R ...[text shortened]... h1.} 4... Rh3 5. Rf1+ Ke8 6. Rff7 {You cannot lose that and the win should be trivial.}[/pgn]
    It all looks so simple when someone spells it out for you. 🙂

I did get into time trouble, not badly but enough at the critical moment to start making bad decisions. Oh well, we live and learn, or at least should do. Thanks for your time.
  7. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 18:19
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    It all looks so simple when someone spells it out for you. 🙂

I did get into time trouble, not badly but enough at the critical moment to start making bad decisions. Oh well, we live and learn, or at least should do. Thanks for your time.
    Yeh you really let that guy of the hook. But a good honest game played by mortals, I like it.

What was the time control? League games normally are shorter than tourney times.

You're lucky living in a place where you can play in a league. I live out in the sticks and have to go to congresses to play competitive chess. Which at the moment is only once or twice a year.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 18:30
    Originally posted by hedonist
    Yeh you really let that guy of the hook. But a good honest game played by mortals, I like it.

What was the time control? League games normally are shorter than tourney times.

You're lucky living in a place where you can play in a league. I live out in the sticks and have to go to congresses to play competitive chess. Which at the moment is only once or twice a year.
    Time controls were 60 mins for 30 moves plus an extra 15 mins. I did really let him off the hook and was well gutted when it was over, i was told he used to be a county player ranked about 150 ECF so he was no mug. I'm going to have to get used to spotting things quicker and work on my endgames. Fortunately i live central(ish) Manchester so there are a host of clubs in this area.
  9. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 18:39
    Whats 150ECF? About 1800 elo? The conversion was (BCFx8)+600. Is it still the same?
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 19:571 edit
    Originally posted by hedonist
    Whats 150ECF? About 1800 elo? The conversion was (BCFx8)+600. Is it still the same?
    That's conversion rate i've seen, whether it's 100% accurate i'm not sure.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree