1. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 21:33
    Sorry to ask again. Lately I've been getting comments like "you're boring" and "you're too passive". Kind of depressing. The CK's my favorite opening and I want to ruin its reputation of it being boring.

Should I have played 6...Rg8? What about 11...Qd5? What about 13...Qh5?

Should I have played the whole thing after 6...gxf6 differently?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 22:322 edits
    Originally posted by hamworld
    Sorry to ask again. Lately I've been getting comments like "you're boring" and "you're too passive". Kind of depressing. The CK's my favorite opening and I want to ruin its reputation of it being boring.

[pgn][Event "rated standard match"]
    [Site "freechess.org"]
    [Date "2013.08.16"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "canilla"]
    [Black "thekingofham"]
    [Result "0 ed the whole thing after 6...gxf6 differently?
    I have to say, CK players are usually all too happy to win a pawn or two and immediately trade down to an endgame. But that's chess. Good players aren't picky about how they win.

If someone tells me I'm boring, I tell them that I am not there to entertain them. I am there to beat them.

Here's your PGN fixed.

3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 23:02
    Interesting game. I myself love to play white against the CK, and usually crush it to death. πŸ˜• (Not always though) 😞
  4. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 02:51
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Interesting game. I myself love to play white against the CK, and usually crush it to death. πŸ˜• (Not always though) 😞
    It must be miserable playing against you(no offence).

Actually, I think some of Tal's best games were from the white side of the caro-kann.

Or "Caro-Can't" as they call it these days.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 03:351 edit
    It must be miserable playing against you(no offence).

Actually, I think some of Tal's best games were from the white side of the caro-kann.

Or "Caro-Can't" as they call it these days.
    None taken πŸ™‚
    My coach is an avid CK player. I know from experience he would say that Black's QB is often his best piece, strive to maintain it. Also don't be too anxious (in your comments) to close off the open g file in this variation. πŸ˜‰
  6. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 03:43
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    None taken πŸ™‚
    My coach is an avid CK player. I know from experience he would say that Black's QB is often his best piece, strive to maintain it. Also don't be too anxious (in your comments) to close off the open g file in this variation. πŸ˜‰
    Are you saying I should keep the queen's bishop(not trade it off)?

"Also don't be too anxious (in your comments) to close off the open g file in this variation. πŸ˜‰" I'm not completely sure what this means. Are you saying I shouldn't put the queen on the g-file?
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 04:421 edit

"Also don't be too anxious (in your comments) to close off the open g file in this variation. πŸ˜‰" I'm not completely sure what this means. Are you saying I shouldn't put the queen on the g-file?
    The Bf5/Nd2/Qa5+ trick is pretty cool, so disregard anything about my bishop statement other that I just wonder if they are better stronger moves at that point. Look at move 6 for example, Odd position for an opening to say the least, but all pretty much straight forward book kinda stuff. πŸ™‚ How about Bg4 pinning white's only developed piece, thusly perhaps getting an edge. But then I am a patzer, listen to GP and FL and SG. πŸ™‚

I'm not completely sure what this means. Are you saying I shouldn't put the queen on the g-file?
    NOSIR! πŸ˜‰ That open file is the one good thing that came out of your opening (IMO The open lines compensate for the possible weakness, but then again I refer you back to my being a fish. πŸ™‚ )
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 07:17
    Seven queen moves in the first 17 moves = neglected development of other pieces/pawns. 'Desperately hoping to trade queens' does not look like a strategy to me, but an excuse for the lack of one.

Don't let anybody convince you the CK is boring; those who say so don't understand its subtleties. Karpov & Beliavski have published some good research into it.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 10:451 edit

[Site "freechess.org"]
    [Date "2013.08.16"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "canilla"]
    [Black "thekingofham"]
    [Result "0 ed the whole thing after 6...gxf6 differently?
    Yes 11...Qd5 is defintely better than what you played. I think this prevents White from castling for I believe he must move 12.Kf1.

The Instructor
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 13:30

[Site "freechess.org"]
    [Date "2013.08.16"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "canilla"]
    [Black "thekingofham"]
    [Result "0 ...[text shortened]... ed the whole thing after 6...gxf6 differently?
    You are under no obligation to keep your opponents entertained. Winning will cure your depression, so if it works, roll with it!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree