1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 11:062 edits
    Article;
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/united-nations-fly-special-investigator-2252465

The new bedroom tax is so bad it breaks UN human rights laws (?) - Having moved from England to Scotland - the English have it much much worse - they have council bailiffs who send you to prison or remove property over the most trivial of debts (incl letting a friend stay on your floor if your with the council - I knew someone who was sent jail for that - no joke). They are a breach of basic human rights - economy housing in London is nothing but atrocious - you would not be allowed to keep a dog in rooms they let to people - its common getting single rooms with a bed and a mini cooker. (400pcm London - google it for the proof)

What do you make of this story?
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 14:021 edit
    not that i'm bias like 🙂

But councils in England and Scotland are a right mess, from what I've seen English councils are worse - more paper work, less help - but that might not be true everywhere. There have been a few stories about the new bedroom tax putting people in serious trouble , facing eviction for bills they haven't a hope in paying. It does make sense to free up space, there has to be a better way though (like just asking people to take a smaller property?)

I think the Conservatives and there not the first, overestimate how much spare money people on benefits (jsa, esa) have (none) - they can't pay a new bill ontop of not paying there electric / gas, doesn't work.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 15:15
    It seems a bit silly to call a cut in benefits a "tax."

In general I have no issue with making sure people don't abuse benefits and that they provide a minimal safety net. But people have to live somewhere, and if there is no smaller accomodation available it feels like this is just a cut in benefits which serves no particular goal.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 20:261 edit
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Article;
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/united-nations-fly-special-investigator-2252465

The new bedroom tax is so bad it breaks UN human rights laws (?) - Having moved from England to Scotland - the English have it much much worse - they have council bailiffs who send you to prison or remove property over the most trivial of debts (incl ...[text shortened]... and a mini cooker. (400pcm London - google it for the proof)

To achieve economic equality, the state must continue writing endless pieces of legislation like this to try and achieve the impossible.

And as laws increase, liberty wanes. Of course, we can't call it tyranny no matter how far they go. After all, you can vote. Democracy cures all our ills. 😵
  5. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 22:46
    Article;

The new bedroom tax is so bad it breaks UN human rights laws (?) - Having moved from England to Scotland - the English have it much much worse - they have council bailiffs who send you to prison or remove property over the most trivial of debts (incl ...[text shortened]... and a mini cooker. (400pcm London - google it for the proof)

Ah ha ha. In the name of the queen you're under arrest.

Take him to the tower............................

Sounds of chains and screaming.
  6. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 23:43
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody

I made it to the border! 🙂 but there are some shocking / dark bedsits in London...
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 00:37
    Article;

Look on the bright side. If you were in America you wouldn't get to your bedroom at all. You'd die in a drive by shooting, because Americans want to preserve their right to kill a deer. 🙄
  8. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 11:562 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    Look on the bright side. If you were in America you wouldn't get to your bedroom at all. You'd die in a drive by shooting, because Americans want to preserve their right to kill a deer. 🙄
    This is about .... Scotland ... it was front page news again today here.

I hear diabetes treatment in the US is...? want to give some advice on that?
  9. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 12:03
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody

its no joke, well maybe it is but there are 'bedsits' in London about the size of prison cells some with combi cooker - and getting a flat is so dog eat dog. I think its a bit anarchistic - so I moved north...
  10. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 11:52
    Given that English councils use bailiffs and Scottish don't I'd say the English have it worse with the bedroom tax ... But one of the reasons the SNP are so popular here is they are sick of Westminster policies that don't work across the border. (I like the SNP, and am English - might get sent to the tower for that...)
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 13:393 edits
    Given that English councils use bailiffs and Scottish don't I'd say the English have it worse with the bedroom tax ... But one of the reasons the SNP are so popular here is they are sick of Westminster policies that don't work across the border. (I like the SNP, and am English - might get sent to the tower for that...)
    will you be voting in the elections to come, what do you think are the chances of achieving independence? An Englishman voting for Scottish independence, awesome! I am not a Scottish nationalist, the seem to me to be like Tories in full highland dress, but never the less, it will be close I think. Last week i had visotirs from London, took them to the Glen Nevis rope bridge, it really was beautiful, then to Culzean castle, it was awesome as well, they loved it! the highest thing they got down there is Muzzwell 'ill mate! in'it in'it! face bovered! 🙂
  12. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 13:521 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    will you be voting in the elections to come, what do you think are the chances of achieving independence? An Englishman voting for Scottish independence, awesome! I am not a Scottish nationalist, the seem to me to be like Tories in full highland dress, but never the less, it will be close I think. Last week i had visotirs from London, took them to ...[text shortened]... ! the highest thing they got down there is Muzzwell 'ill mate! in'it in'it! face bovered! 🙂
    I don't know how to vote, would feel like a saboteur voting for independence, but truth be told I think its best

I think an independent Scotland could show the English what they could have, guilt them into caring more about there own then a random war somewhere far away (English local councils are diabolical; They hate you if you work and try to trap you for life if you don't - I would close each and every one)

I reckon independence is inevitable and a good thing.
  13. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 14:59
    Are you voting for Independence Robbie?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 07:15
    Are you voting for Independence Robbie?
    No I have never voted for anything, I regard politics as a kind of, 'racket' to use an American term and politicians are to my mind self interested and manipulative regardless of their political polarity. The most horrendous crimes being perpetrated for political reasons. I refuse to have anything to do with them or the process, although JS357 once argued that abstention was in itself a political act!
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 08:11
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No I have never voted for anything, I regard politics as a kind of, 'racket' to use an American term and politicians are to my mind self interested and manipulative regardless of their political polarity. The most horrendous crimes being perpetrated for political reasons. I refuse to have anything to do with them or the process, although JS357 once argued that abstention was in itself a political act!
    Robbie, you might not get asked again. You might think the SNP tartan tories but the balance of class forces is more in our favour in scotland. Even tories would have to concede some reforms in an independent scotland. My advice from Wales is, if they're asking you, you'd be a fool not to give your answer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree