1. Joined
    09 Sep '13
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 16:40
    So I wanted a way of just typing a game quickly as text and getting a PGN file.

If I use a PGN editor I usually have to play through the game, instead I wanted to type quickly:

e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 Bb5 a6 Ba4 b5 Bb3

No move numbers, just the moves.

To make this happen I created a macro for Word (my version is Office 365). Now I click a button and a PGN file is saved to my desktop.

The link to the macro and instructions are below. I hope someone else finds it useful.

http://sdrv.ms/1b2CGq4
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 18:031 edit
    Originally posted by jonathancolledge
    So I wanted a way of just typing a game quickly as text and getting a PGN file.

If I use a PGN editor I usually have to play through the game, instead I wanted to type quickly:

e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 Bb5 a6 Ba4 b5 Bb3

No move numbers, just the moves.

To make this happen I created a macro for Word (my version is Office 365). Now I click a button a ...[text shortened]... acro and instructions are below. I hope someone else finds it useful.

http://sdrv.ms/1b2CGq4
    WinBoard can already do this, as can ChessBase.

And for text editing, might I suggest that Notepad++ pwns MS Word.
  3. Joined
    09 Sep '13
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 18:52
    As far as I can work out you can only type one move at a time in Winboard which is pretty slow. I can't find it in Chessbase. I have Notepad++, but don't know how to make macros on it.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 19:21
    Originally posted by jonathancolledge
    As far as I can work out you can only type one move at a time in Winboard which is pretty slow. I can't find it in Chessbase. I have Notepad++, but don't know how to make macros on it.
    All you have to do is type moves into a text editor and then paste them in WinBoard or ChessBase.

Notepad++ has a macro recording tool that is good enough for simple ones. I am sure there is a way to code them as well, since there are lots of plug-ins, but I have not yet needed anything that hard-core.
  5. Joined
    09 Sep '13
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 19:52
    Thanks, that's pretty easy. Shame I didn't ask here before spending all that time...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree