1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Oct '13 11:24
    The new blitz chess is now available.

This is a completely new implementation, and can be played on devices without Flash (Apple iDevices, for example).

The board UI is fairly consistent with the existing correspondence board, but moves are made as the piece is dropped.

This is a first version, and will be greatly expanded if popular. Blitz ratings will be appear in the near future if there is enough regular users who want them.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Oct '13 16:58
    Sound for IE has now been fixed.
  3. Joined
    01 Apr '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 06:38
    I liked the old version's feature that allowed reviewing the moves after the game was over. I don't seem to be able to do that in this version without getting the PGN.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 07:55
    Originally posted by Cosmic Charlie
    I liked the old version's feature that allowed reviewing the moves after the game was over. I don't seem to be able to do that in this version without getting the PGN.
    This is a temporary omission to allow us to get the current version released as soon as possible.

This will be back on the next update.
  5. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 05:14
    Don't care for the placement of controls in this version. Things are not naturally placed: for instance, the resign button is hard to find. Also, the timer selection process seems awkward. Also, the pieces move slowly and the color scheme is hard to see the board.
    In general, the other version, despite it's flaws, was actually more user friendly and much quicker.
  6. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 05:18
    A couple of other thoughts as well: make the color of the board user definable. Show ratings of the other players and implement a blitz rating. The color scheme of the non-board section is low in contrast, and should be using colors of clear separation and borders.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 05:391 edit
    I've just played my first blitz game on the new page. The board displays exactly the same as I have set it to in the normal user settings. Have you set your own MySettings?

(I liked the home page, compared to the old one which was amateurish. Good work Russ!)
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 17:451 edit
    Spectating games is supported now.

edit : Forgot to mention, you can now review the game history after the game too.
  9. Joined
    01 Apr '08
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 13:44
    It would be nice if one could select which piece to promote to when pawn reaches end of file. A queen is not always the best selection.
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 01:151 edit
    Originally posted by Cosmic Charlie
    It would be nice if one could select which piece to promote to when pawn reaches end of file. A queen is not always the best selection.
    You can. Below the Submit Move button a selection box pops up when you make the pawn move. It's been there all along, you just haven't noticed it. 😕

{edit} I'd really like to know how you earned your starting date ...
  11. Joined
    01 Apr '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 17:271 edit
  12. Joined
    01 Apr '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 17:441 edit
    deleted
  13. Joined
    01 Apr '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 17:45
    So, yeah, I did find the button for selecting pawn promotion. It was below my laptop screen. Sorry.

No idea how I got that start date. Haha.
  14. Joined
    02 Dec '12
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 19:49
    Blitz not working for me.. IE8 WinXp. Home tab is blank screen and Game tab doesn't work. Able to set time controls, but can't offer up a game and do not see any games. Suggestions welcome.
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 10:35
    Originally posted by Coffehouse
    Blitz not working for me.. IE8 WinXp. Home tab is blank screen and Game tab doesn't work. Able to set time controls, but can't offer up a game and do not see any games. Suggestions welcome.
    If possible, move away from IE8.

We understand not everyone can do this, but if on XP, install Firefox or Chrome.

The previous implementation of Blitz was Flash based, so the browser type was of little importance. (it is a browser plug in) Flash has effectively reached its end of life now, so we require modern browsers instead.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree