1. Joined
    06 Nov '13
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 02:43
    Hello guys,
    Recently in a chess game in the chess club I was in, my opponent had a couple people giving him advice (It was a regular club chess game) on more then a few movements he could take through out the mid game and into the later portion of the game which helped him win. I was wondering if this generally viewed as bad mannerism when playing a game of chess.
  2. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 02:46
    Originally posted by MacGregor93
    Hello guys,
    Recently in a chess game in the chess club I was in, my opponent had a couple people giving him advice (It was a regular club chess game) on more then a few movements he could take through out the mid game and into the later portion of the game which helped him win. I was wondering if this generally viewed as bad mannerism when playing a game of chess.
    It most certainly is unless you have agreed to it beforehand. Chess is a game played between two people not three.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 08:22
    That would be regarded as cheating at any club I've ever belonged to.

Sometimes this happens in offhand games, but even then my opponent will usually say something like "you've won this one" (i.e. not quite resign!) and then ask an observer for advice to see if, working together, they could turn it around. On the odd occasion when someone has sought advice in an equal / unclear position I've just resigned and refused a rematch.
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 18:55
    Originally posted by MacGregor93
    Hello guys,
    You could look at it as a challenge to beat a team of players as your opponent, or you could refuse to play.
  5. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 04:26
    Politely explain that you don't have any friends and get out your computer saying "What's the difference ?". Unless of course you already have a computer in your shoes.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 06:35
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    It most certainly is unless you have agreed to it beforehand. Chess is a game played between two people not three.
    Spot on
  7. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 21:51
    Always bad manners without invitation. However on club nights with friends if a better player sees a clearly losing move it can be instructive if they explain with alternatives.
    In a friendly club there can be implied consent to assistance.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '10
    Moves
    17 Nov '13 15:45
    Bad manners and illegal. Some tournament directors/arbiters will kick the player who heard the advise and the adviser from the tournament. Most players at the tournament know this and refrain. At a club match, it's just terrible manners.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree