1. Joined
    06 Nov '13
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 02:58
    The title of this thread says it all. I have been playing for many years, at the same level... And it isn't good. I would like to change that. Obviously playing more will be essential to any kind of growth. What I want to know is what else should I be studying? Openings? Endings? Master's games? Tactical problems? I am lost, please help find me! I don't want to be a wood pusher forever!!!
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 05:52
    Originally posted by Snave88
    The title of this thread says it all. I have been playing for many years, at the same level... And it isn't good. I would like to change that. Obviously playing more will be essential to any kind of growth. What I want to know is what else should I be studying? Openings? Endings? Master's games? Tactical problems? I am lost, please help find me! I don't want to be a wood pusher forever!!!
    Hard to tell where you are with only 9 moves played here.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 08:221 edit
    Find a coach, face-to-face or online. Join a chess club or frequent a chess pub in your vicinity.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 08:40
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Hard to tell where you are with only 9 moves played here.
    9 moves and a sub already...

Maybe he he said what his old rating was...
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 10:20
    Find out why you suck and do something about it
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '13
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 13:00
    Highest rating I have had online was 1500. Sadly there are no chess clubs where I live. I suppose finding a coach is not necessarily out of the question. Didn't realize posting with only a few moves was frowned upon here.
  7. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 13:24
    Don't worry about that too much. Most of the people on this forum are acturally really helpful. It's just that once in a while someone starts posting in the forum with a fresh account and no games. And then often their input is limited to spam or other useless crap.

Since you're new and anonymous, people are a little reluctant, because you may vanish again in a few days. However, since you are a subscriber, you already show some long-term commitment to this site, so that will change.

Maybe, you could start by telling a little about yourself (chesswise of course). Where did you play (to get the 1500 online), what's your experience, what's your goal?

My advice:
    - keep watching this forum
    - practice tactics (e.g. chesstempo.com)
    - apply the opening principles (can be found everywhere on the net)
    - don't resign before you spot a forced way your opponent can checkmate you with (and even then...)
    - play opponents around your own strength
  8. e4
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 13:27
    Hi Snave.

Only 9 moves are not frowned upon but it does not give much help
    as a guide to your strengths and weakness's.

The club is the best bet, are you sure there are none near you.
    They tend never to advertise themselves.
  9. Joined
    06 Nov '13
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 13:56
    Thanks for the reply tvochess. I guess I can understand the hesitancy to respond to newbies for the reasons you stated. However, you are correct that by being a subscriber I have at least shown some commitment.

I played at letsplaychess.com. My experience at chess has been limited to online play for several years. We had a chess club locally a few years ago and I went a few times but had some schedule conflicts and wasn't able to attend regularly. They have since disbanded.

Your advice was appreciated. I started an account at chesstempo.com this morning and will check it out today. I guess for the time being I just need to get some games under my belt and go from there. Thanks again.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 19:11
    Thanks for the reply tvochess. I guess I can understand the hesitancy to respond to newbies for the reasons you stated. However, you are correct that by being a subscriber I have at least shown some commitment.

I played at letsplaychess.com. My experience at chess has been limited to online play for several years. We had a chess club locally a few y ...[text shortened]... for the time being I just need to get some games under my belt and go from there. Thanks again.
    Snave88 what do you think is the weakest and the strongest part of your game?
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 19:57
    Highest rating I have had online was 1500. Sadly there are no chess clubs where I live. I suppose finding a coach is not necessarily out of the question. Didn't realize posting with only a few moves was frowned upon here.
    I wasn't frowning on it; just saying that I can't assess your strength without data. For all I knew, you were a better player than me and I wouldn't be able to give much helpful advice.
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 20:201 edit
    Sadly there are no chess clubs where I live.
    You could always start one, it doesn't take much effort. An advert in a local paper and/or online and at least one chess set and you're away! I've found that bars and pubs are often amenable to letting people play chess on their premises on quiet evenings as it brings in a few paying customers and gives the place a bit of character.

I think coaches are overrated. There, I've said it.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 20:45
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    You could always start one, it doesn't take much effort. An advert in a local paper and/or online and at least one chess set and you're away! I've found that bars and pubs are often amenable to letting people play chess on their premises on quiet evenings as it brings in a few paying customers and gives the place a bit of character.

I think coaches are overrated. There, I've said it.
    was it not Botvinnik who stated that chess cannot be taught, only learned?
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 21:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    was it not Botvinnik who stated that chess cannot be taught, only learned?
    Yes. I think what he meant was that by far the most important part of becoming a good player is to play lots of chess. Too many people have the proportions all wrong - they study openings, practice tactics, go over a few master games and then don't actually play much chess themselves at all.

Most of the really strong players I know had a phase at some stage in their teens or early twenties when they played obsessively for at least a year, I'm talking about all night blitz sessions and playing tournaments every single weekend with league matches during the week!

To get good at chess you need to play the game as much as possible.
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 22:51
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Find a coach, face-to-face or online. Join a chess club or frequent a chess pub in your vicinity.
    What he said!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree