Moves
    18 Nov '13 11:44
    White: Anand
    Black: Carlsen
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 11:451 edit
    So Anand achieve ½/2 in his back-to-back games with White. Probably not what he hoped for.

Someone on the English Chess Forum pointed out that Anand seemed to have the plan of removing all the rooks from the board, presumably because he realises that all rook and pawn endings are a win for McArlsen!
  3. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 11:54
    This puts the score at 4.5-2.5 for Magnus.

Out of the 5 remaining games, he needs to score 2 wins, or 1 win and 2 draws or 4 draws for victory.
    Anand on the other hand needs 4(!) wins, or 3 wins and 2 draws. He really has a tough job in front of him.

I'm curious for next match.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 11:59
    Of course if Anand only needs to win 2 out of 5 (and draw the others) to take the match to a playoff (I assume the Champion doesn't automatically retain his title in the event of a tie?)
  5. e4
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 13:451 edit
    If the match is tied after 12 games then they go into the play off.

I was going to suggest Anand tried Bxc6 v The Berlin, infact I went back
    a few posts because I was sure I did.
    It's what I do and have many typical me wins with it.

I went into detail about this idea in a January 2011 Blog.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/blog/blogread.php?blogpostid=39

(that Blog had 5,500+ hits, Obviously Magnus was one of them).

Of course without a6 being played and Black castling Queenside then
    it's a tough nut to crack. Indeed this is where my losses and draws
    come from in this variation.

I recall a Chess season where I P.12 W.11 L.0 D1.
    The sole draw was against the lowest graded player of the twelve
    I played and he 0-0-0 in this line.

So thanks to this game Black will never play 0-0 again and walk into a
    Kingside attack that I have off to pat. I have over 20 wins with Black
    castling Kingside in OTB play and about 10 or more on here.

greenpawn34 - zebano RHP 2009

A quick Look at the Anand - Carlsen game.

And a nice piece of nonsense to cheer us up.

6. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 14:20
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Of course if Anand only needs to win 2 out of 5 (and draw the others) to take the match to a playoff (I assume the Champion doesn't automatically retain his title in the event of a tie?)
    According to the regulations:

3. 7 Tie-breaks

3.7.1.a If the scores are level after the regular twelve (12) games, after a new drawing of
    colors, four (4) tie-break games shall be played. The games shall be played using the
    electronic clock starting with 25 minutes for each player with an increment of 10 seconds
    after each move

(...)
    3.7.2 If the scores are level after the games in Article 3.7.1a, then, after a new drawing of
    colors, a match of 2 games shall be played with a time control of 5 minutes plus 3 seconds
    increment after each move. In case of a level score, another 2-game match will be played to
    determine a winner. If still there is no winner after 5 such matches (total 10 games), one
    sudden-death game
    will be played as described below in Article 3.7.3.

3.7.3 If the score is still level after five matches as described in Article 3.7.2, the players
    shall play a one sudden death game. The player who wins the drawing of lots may choose the
    color. The player with the white pieces shall receive 5 minutes, the player with the black
    pieces shall receive 4 minutes whereupon, after the 60th move, both players shall receive an
    increment of 3 seconds starting from move 61
    . In case of a draw the player with the black
    pieces is declared the winner
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 16:511 edit
    Seems that Anand isn't willing to take many risks. Carlsen can just draw his way to victory now.
  8. Joined
    16 Mar '08
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 21:16
    Anand has the white pieces only two more times. He needs to win at least twice in the next five games to equalize this thing. I know that cautious play has been his style, and who am I to argue with that? But, I think he now need to forget playing to a draw if he wants to pull this thing out.
  9. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 23:03
    Dunno 'bout you guys, but if I was Anand I'd abandon 1.e4

Carlsen's got his number on this one, If Anand keeps plugging away with his "pet opening" (i.e. the one Carlsen and team will have studied and prepared for several times over) then his white games are gonna be drawsville, and we'll have a new champion.

Or, will anything Anand does at this stage be hopeless?
  10. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 23:39
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Dunno 'bout you guys, but if I was Anand I'd abandon 1.e4

Carlsen's got his number on this one, If Anand keeps plugging away with his "pet opening" (i.e. the one Carlsen and team will have studied and prepared for several times over) then his white games are gonna be drawsville, and we'll have a new champion.

Or, will anything Anand does at this stage be hopeless?
    1. e4 e5 2. f4!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree