1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 20:364 edits
    For those who would play me on RHP. Please try and play to the time controls. It is only polite.

But if you should happen to find yourself overrunning the time controls a bit, don't worry, I won't time you out unless you are taking the mickey.

I gain no satisfaction from winning a game this way. I can't see the point of losing the chance to play an interesting game to its conclusion. I can't help thinking I am losing something.

This is not OTB chess, it is correspondence chess in electronic format. You don't have to apply the same rules, and RHP specifically asks you not to timeout immediately, and I think we should respect that.

Just wanted to make that clear.

PS The only rated game I have in progress is with SG.

🙂
  2. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 20:55
    I know we're not meant to discuss games in progress but I hope you lock your laptop in the boot of your car and SG clicks on the skull while you are screaming down the phone at the AA. "You've got a red hot what sir ?"
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 21:09
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    I know we're not meant to discuss games in progress but I hope you lock your laptop in the boot of your car and SG clicks on the skull while you are screaming down the phone at the AA. "You've got a red hot what sir ?"
    Mrs Outsider has just commented that she is not sure that I should be talking to people on the internet who are promising to skull me.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 22:16
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Wear a helmet.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 22:201 edit
    For those who would play me on RHP. Please try and play to the time controls. It is only polite.

But if you should happen to find yourself overrunning the time controls a bit, don't worry, I won't time you out unless you are taking the mickey.

I gain no satisfaction from winning a game this way. I can't see the point of losing the chance to pl ...[text shortened]...

🙂
    Who said anything about OTB chess? All the other correspondence sites enforce time controls as well. It's this site that's the aberration compared to the entire rest of the chess world.

Edit: and you have 7 days per move in our game, so there is no excuse! I felt you would be an interesting opponent. I would not have agreed to that slow a time control otherwise. I usually always play 1 day + 3 TB.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 22:29

I gain no satisfaction from winning a game this way. I can't see the point of losing the chance to pl ...[text shortened]...

🙂
    I will let a game sit if it is an offhand game or a game with a friend, but I click as soon as I see a skull in a tournament or clan game.

In a tournament especially, it is unfair to allow my opponent additional time when all the other players in the tournament are not given the same option. The conditions should be the same for all, in terms of the execution of the rules.
  7. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 23:33
    Time controls are part of chess.

Skulls are very delicious.
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 02:40

🙂
    So someone held a gun to your head and made you click 11 skulls?
    Sorry to hear that.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 03:144 edits
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    So someone held a gun to your head and made you click 11 skulls?
    Sorry to hear that.
    They were 'taking the mickey', I suppose. Whatever that means.

Edit:
    Taking the piss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_piss‎
    Taking the piss is a British term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable.

So, in other words, RO's criteria works fine for me. My opponents took the liberty of procrastinating on their moves, at the expense of fair play (they should not get more time on a move than I do) and were being unreasonable by expecting me to ignore the time control.
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 03:45
    Originally posted by SwissGambit

Edit:
    Taking the piss is a British term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable.

So, in other words, RO's criteria works fine for me ...[text shortened]... ime on a move than I do) and were being unreasonable by expecting me to ignore the time control.
    Taking liberties such as exceeding the time limit.
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 03:45

Edit:

So, in other words, RO's criteria works fine for me ...[text shortened]... ime on a move than I do) and were being unreasonable by expecting me to ignore the time control.
    Yeah yeah, you heartless skull clicker. 😛
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 10:55
    . It's this site that's the aberration compared to the entire rest of the chess world.
    What you see as an aberration, I see as difference, variety and choice (slurps Starbucks).
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 10:59
    I felt you would be an interesting opponent.
    Well, let's hope you blunder as badly in your assessment of your moves.

😉
  14. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 11:03
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Taking liberties such as exceeding the time limit.
    You don't know they are taking liberties, you are making that assumption.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 18:58
    What you see as an aberration, I see as difference, variety and choice (slurps Starbucks).
    I'm not opposed to aberrations. I just want to make people aware that they are aberrations.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree