1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 05:041 edit
    Happy Birthday to those in the Fed.

In celebration, I sent them a card and scribbled an IOU on it worth $50 that I told them I would buy back and resell it at a later date, only to be mailed back to them.

Where would be without them? Could we even function?
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 05:17
    Originally posted by whodey

In celebration, I sent them a card and scribbled an IOU on it worth $50 that I told them I would buy back and resell it at a later date, only to be mailed back to them.

Yes...we could function, but it would be more difficult. The Fed does a pretty good job of stabilizing our economy.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 08:25

If you could choose to live either in today's America, or in the America of 1913, which would you choose?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 12:40
    Originally posted by bill718
    Yes...we could function, but it would be more difficult. The Fed does a pretty good job of stabilizing our economy.
    The US could function but not the way the country is run now where the primary function of government has become a printing press of money for the world.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 12:40
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    If you could choose to live either in today's America, or in the America of 1913, which would you choose?
    I would much prefer a limited government where states had rights set up the way it was created.

Next question.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 16:43
    I would much prefer a limited government where states had rights set up the way it was created.

Next question.
    So you prefer 1913, then. Next question: have you considered applying for psychiatric treatment?
  7. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 18:38

What would you replace the Fed with?
    Digging Gold and Silver up out of the ground and minting coins from it?
    Bartering for stuff or labor and hope you don't get screwed?
    What?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 18:48
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    What would you replace the Fed with?
    Digging Gold and Silver up out of the ground and minting coins from it?
    Bartering for stuff or labor and hope you don't get screwed?
    What?
    Well that is just it, Progressives have driven up the debt to such a place that it is no longer manageable.

Once the system destroys itself perhaps going back to the gold standard would be nice, but they won't. They will just adopt some other fiat system that will go bust as well. That's because with a fiat system, it's just monopoly money and you can spend more than you have.

It's like asking those in government, would you like your own bank account or a machine to make money for you? The choice is obvious.
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 18:55

Next question.
    States rights is what the south claimed was their justification for slavery. Good call Whodey!🙄
  10. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 18:55
    Well that is just it, Progressives have driven up the debt to such a place that it is no longer manageable.

Once the system destroys itself perhaps going back to the gold standard would be nice, but they won't. They will just adopt some other fiat system that will go bust as well. That's because with a fiat system, it's just monopoly money and you can s ...[text shortened]... would you like your own bank account or a machine to make money for you? The choice is obvious.
    The "Gold System" is no better than bartering.
    The Federal Reserve System isn't perfect but it beats the hell out of any other thing to date.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 19:41

Once the system destroys itself perhaps going back to the gold standard would be nice, but they won't. They will just adopt some other fiat system that will go bust as well. That's because with a fiat system, it's just monopoly money and you can s ...[text shortened]... would you like your own bank account or a machine to make money for you? The choice is obvious.
    It is a strange idea to tie your nation's level of economic activity to how much of an essentially useless metal can be pulled out of the ground.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 19:45

Please explain how gold, with an imaginary value, is better than fiat money with an imaginary value.
  13. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 20:15
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Please explain how gold, with an imaginary value, is better than fiat money with an imaginary value.
    Yeah, at least you can wipe your azz with fiat money.

GRANNY.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 21:24
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It is a strange idea to tie your nation's level of economic activity to how much of an essentially useless metal can be pulled out of the ground.
    But it is a perfectly sound idea to base your money on nothing and just print it out your arse.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 21:36
    But it is a perfectly sound idea to base your money on nothing and just print it out your arse.
    It's a perfectly sound idea to try to tie the amount of your money to your economic activity rather than artificially limiting it based on something as irrelevant as how much of a shiny metal is available.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree