1. Standard memberbeauroberts
    Father of Three
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 18:25
    Would it be possible for this site to enforce the FIDE touch rule that states once apiece has been touched if a legal move exists with that piece then that original touched piece must be moved. For example a player touches a pawn to push it then notices his queen is in jeopardy and decides to move his queen instead prior to hitting submit..is it possible for this site to enforce the FIDE touch rule and force the player to move the originally touched pawn? Would add a different element to the game I think.

What do you guys and gals think?

Beau
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 18:30
    Originally posted by beauroberts
    Would it be possible for this site to enforce the FIDE touch rule that states once apiece has been touched if a legal move exists with that piece then that original touched piece must be moved. For example a player touches a pawn to push it then notices his queen is in jeopardy and decides to move his queen instead prior to hitting submit..is it possible ...[text shortened]... ? Would add a different element to the game I think.

Beau
    You would also have to cancel the analyse board facility.
    I'm sure a lot of players(including me) make their move on the analyse board, check it out and then go onto the main board to move.
    You can try the suggestion in site ideas(if you haven't already done so) but I don't think you'll get a lot of support.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 18:54
    "Submit" is the equivalent of the touched-piece rule here.
  4. Standard memberbeauroberts
    Father of Three
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 19:08
    You can click submit and if you have made an illegal move it does not allow you to do it...but another legal move still may be possible with the originally touched piece.

I know the rule is broken even at the GM level...look at Judit Polgar the highest rated female player in history vs Garry Kasparov. Kasparov violated the touch move policy and at that level should have offered his hand.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 23:30
    You can click submit and if you have made an illegal move it does not allow you to do it...but another legal move still may be possible with the originally touched piece.

I know the rule is broken even at the GM level...look at Judit Polgar the highest rated female player in history vs Garry Kasparov. Kasparov violated the touch move policy and at that level should have offered his hand.
    That last was pretty sneaky on his part, I saw the video, he moved his hand and touched a piece and pulled back so fast it was like a karate move, it was a blur in the video and Judit was in shock, clearly. But she allowed it in deference to his greatness, she said later.
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    15 Feb '14 00:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That last was pretty sneaky on his part, I saw the video, he moved his hand and touched a piece and pulled back so fast it was like a karate move, it was a blur in the video and Judit was in shock, clearly. But she allowed it in deference to his greatness, she said later.
    Screw that. Kasparov is my favorite all time player, but a rule is a rule. To allow him to cheat is an insult to him, and by knowingly doing it he is insulting himself.

I'm disappointed to hear this. But then again, an old military expression "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying"
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Feb '14 02:54
    Would it be possible for this site to enforce the FIDE touch rule that states once apiece has been touched if a legal move exists with that piece then that original touched piece must be moved. For example a player touches a pawn to push it then notices his queen is in jeopardy and decides to move his queen instead prior to hitting submit..is it possible ...[text shortened]... ? Would add a different element to the game I think.

Beau
    Correspondence isn't like that. We're allowed to analyze and move all the pieces we want. The main reason for forbidding it OTB is that it would distract the opponent if I were moving pieces around. In corr, that is not an issue.
  8. e4
    Moves
    15 Feb '14 03:56
    I do not have a clue how they would program such a thing into a CC site.

If you go to the analyse board the first piece you click on then the system
    flashes a wee pop-up saying you must move that piece.
    I cannot see that happening. Be good if it did.

The majority of my lads in the 1400 DB are falling victim to the 'touch thought' rule.

The first move they think of must be played. 🙂
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Feb '14 06:09
    "You can click submit and if you have made an illegal move it does not allow you to do it...but another legal move still may be possible with the originally touched piece. "

Ditto SG's comment: correspondence rules apply here, not OTB rules. You may consult books and data bases, you may set up the pieces on a real board and move them about as you please, etc. "Submit" is the point of commitment.
  10. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '14 08:25
    Under the old correspondence rules are there any stories of players posting their moves, realising an error and trying to intercept the post?
  11. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    15 Feb '14 13:38
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Under the old correspondence rules are there any stories of players posting their moves, realising an error and trying to intercept the post?
    There was one of Dr Fritz Baumbach's - I think from a World Championship Correspondence Tournament where he intercepted the postman emptying the postbox, but after further analysis sent the same move anyway.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Feb '14 15:25
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    There was one of Dr Fritz Baumbach's - I think from a World Championship Correspondence Tournament where he intercepted the postman emptying the postbox, but after further analysis sent the same move anyway.
    Wonder if he won?
  13. e4
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 03:50
    A more famous case is here.

http://www.edinburghchessclub.co.uk/ecchist2.htm
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 05:49
    Originally posted by moonbus
    "Submit" is the equivalent of the touched-piece rule here.
    I have push submit over 100's of times and it doesn't work, but I still make the same move basically.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree