1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 03:52
    For me personally I believe it's not a religion if God does everything for us that's not a religion.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jesus was a rebel with a cause: John 18:37 Pilate said, “So you are a king?” Jesus responded, “You say I am a king. Actually, I was born and came into the world to testify to the truth. All who love the truth recognize that what I say is true.”

Jesus went against religion to bring relationship with God:
    2 Corinthians 3:13-18
    13 We are not like Moses, who put a veil over his face so the people of Israel would not see the glory, even though it was destined to fade away. 14 But the people’s minds were hardened, and to this day whenever the old covenant is being read, the same veil covers their minds so they cannot understand the truth. And this veil can be removed only by believing in Christ. 15 Yes, even today when they read Moses’ writings, their hearts are covered with that veil, and they do not understand. 16 But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.

Against send to bring forgiveness: Colossians 1:14 who purchased our freedom [a] and forgave our sins.
    Footnotes: 1:14 Some manuscripts add with his blood.

His body was placed against the cross to bring salvation: 1 Corinthians 1:18 The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now to the religion that God truly wants where you don't make sacrifices to please Him. Jesus said to repent for the kingdom of God is at hand so that's not really religion.
    Here is what you're looking for:James 1:25-27
    25 But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it. 26 If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. 27 Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.

1 Timothy 5:3-5
    3 Take care of [a] any widow who has no one else to care for her. 4 But if she has children or grandchildren, their first responsibility is to show godliness at home and repay their parents by taking care of them. This is something that pleases God. 5 Now a true widow, a woman who is truly alone in this world, has placed her hope in God. She prays night and day, asking God for his help.
    Footnotes: 5:3 Or Honor.

New Living Translation (NLT) is what I used.
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 04:003 edits
    As you can see in my above post you don't have to say 10 Hail Marys and 10 our fathers, or bow to the East five times a day in prayer or sacrifice your child or an animal anymore to please God and do a religious act of any kind to gain his favor but to Repent! Read all of Matthew ch. 3

Matthew 3
    New Living Translation (NLT)
    John the Baptist Prepares the Way

1 In those days John the Baptist came to the Judean wilderness and began preaching. His message was, 2 “Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near.[a]” 3 The prophet Isaiah was speaking about John when he said,

“He is a voice shouting in the wilderness,
    ‘Prepare the way for the Lord’s coming!
    Clear the road for him!’”[b]
    4 John’s clothes were woven from coarse camel hair, and he wore a leather belt around his waist. For food he ate locusts and wild honey. 5 People from Jerusalem and from all of Judea and all over the Jordan Valley went out to see and hear John. 6 And when they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River.

7 But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming to watch him baptize,[c] he denounced them. “You brood of snakes!” he exclaimed. “Who warned you to flee God’s coming wrath? 8 Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. 9 Don’t just say to each other, ‘We’re safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.’ That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones. 10 Even now the ax of God’s judgment is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire.

11 “I baptize with[d] water those who repent of their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not worthy even to be his slave and carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.[e] 12 He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with his winnowing fork. Then he will clean up the threshing area, gathering the wheat into his barn but burning the chaff with never-ending fire.”

The Baptism of Jesus

13 Then Jesus went from Galilee to the Jordan River to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to talk him out of it. “I am the one who needs to be baptized by you,” he said, “so why are you coming to me?”

15 But Jesus said, “It should be done, for we must carry out all that God requires.[f]” So John agreed to baptize him.

16 After his baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heavens were opened[g] and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.”

Footnotes:

3:2 Or has come, or is coming soon.
    3:3 Isa 40:3 (Greek version).
    3:7 Or coming to be baptized.
    3:11a Or in.
    3:11b Or in the Holy Spirit and in fire.
    3:15 Or for we must fulfill all righteousness.
    3:16 Some manuscripts read opened to him.
  3. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 18:06
    The Key is Christ when you want to be accepted by God. First, put faith in Christ as your personal Savior to have eternal life. Don't try to work your way to heaven.

King James Version
    ===============
    I John 4: 14
    And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

John 14: 6
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 18:34
    Worship That Is Acceptable to God.

"Jehovah God accepts only the worship of those who comport themselves in harmony with his will. (Mt 15:9; Mr 7:7) To a Samaritan woman Christ Jesus said: “The hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you people worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know . . . Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the ((true)) worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and ((truth)), for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him. God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and (( truth.))—Joh 4:21-24.

It would seem by this scripture as well as many others that "truth" in our worship is very important to God.

What if our religion teaches only "1" untruth in it? Will he accept that?
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 19:24
    Galveston,
    We who are of age must put faith in God's Salvation which is Christ Jesus before God will accept us for anything including keeping Christ's commandments.

Somehow babies may go to heaven too, but Christ died for all the world which includes babies who are born sinners.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 20:49
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Worship That Is Acceptable to God.

"Jehovah God accepts only the worship of those who comport themselves in harmony with his will. (Mt 15:9; Mr 7:7) To a Samaritan woman Christ Jesus said: “The hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you people worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know . ...[text shortened]... important to God.

What if our religion teaches only "1" untruth in it? Will he accept that?
    See worshiping God in spirit and in truth has nothing to do with religion.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 23:08
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Well not really. If it was just up to an individual per say, to worship and do good which, is admiral, how would one grow in spiritual knowledge without direction from an organization such as was the case when Jesus was on earth who he himself organized the elder arrangment and in turn established congregations for the elders to shephard over and then to organize the massive preaching and teaching work that Jesus taught and even demonstrated himself that was to be eventually done earthwide?
    It's not different then a phisical rescue group of people that are out to save life's after some disaster that needs organization to make it work right and smoothly to help people recover. So the same would be in the teaching work which was designed by Jesus to help save lifes before the disaster of armegeddon happens.
    It's a huge job to do and it could never be done by anyone just on their own and not without direction.

So the original Christians were a church just as is needed today to have God work with them and thru them to do his will.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 23:19
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Galveston,
    We who are of age must put faith in God's Salvation which is Christ Jesus before God will accept us for anything including keeping Christ's commandments.

Somehow babies may go to heaven too, but Christ died for all the world which includes babies who are born sinners.
    I don't believe babies are born sinners, just born with a sin nature.
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 00:54
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Well not really. If it was just up to an individual per say, to worship and do good which, is admiral, how would one grow in spiritual knowledge without direction from an organization such as was the case when Jesus was on earth who he himself organized the elder arrangment and in turn established congregations for the elders to shephard over and then to ...[text shortened]... s were a church just as is needed today to have God work with them and thru them to do his will.
    I mean God would not want you to grow spiritually alone but look at John when he was in exile on an island by himself. But still there could be organizations and that doesn't mean they have to be a religion. Stuff and things are put into categories just to make people happy.
  10. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 01:30
    You tell yourself that they have nothing to do with religion, but the terms of reference for your worshipping, the concept of and approach to God, the concept of spirit and the purported truth, and all the literature that has given you reason to believe what you believe is, by definition, religion.
  11. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 01:37
    Stuff and things are put into categories just to make people happy.
    'Stuff and things are put into categories', in this case "religion", in order for people to be able to have a common understanding of and communicate about this whole aspect of the human condition, especially when it is a phenomenon found all over the world and set in different cultural contexts.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 07:55
    Originally posted by Nick Bourbaki
    You tell yourself that they have nothing to do with religion, but the terms of reference for your worshipping, the concept of and approach to God, the concept of spirit and the purported truth, and all the literature that has given you reason to believe what you believe is, by definition, religion.
    I think RBHILL means that he does not believe Christianity requires a Christian to do ceremonial religious activities superstitiously like someone that must have their lucky hat or socks or cross on when they pray. Or some Romans Catholics that must count Rosary beads and recite certain words over and over a certain number of times. Or some that have to go to a church bulding every sunday morning and wednesday night to listen to a preacher and sing some hymnals. Or some that must always pray over there food before they eat it or facing in a certain direction while praying. A Christian is free to do these things or not as he pleases.
  13. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 08:54
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think RBHILL means that he does not believe Christianity requires a Christian to do ceremonial religious activities superstitiously like someone that must have their lucky hat or socks or cross on when they pray.
    I don't think that was what he meant because he said "See worshiping God in spirit and in truth has nothing to do with religion." There is no mention of "ceremonies" or "lucky hats". He specifically mentions "worshipping","God", "spirit" and "truth" as perceived by Christians. This is "religion" front and centre. To suggest that they have "nothing to do with religion" is nonsensical and just a kind of vocabulary-twisting rhetoric rooted in enthusiasm.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 11:10
    Originally posted by Nick Bourbaki
    I don't think that was what he meant because he said "See worshiping God in spirit and in truth has nothing to do with religion." There is no mention of "ceremonies" or "lucky hats". He specifically mentions "worshipping","God", "spirit" and "truth" as perceived by Christians. This is "religion" front and centre. To suggest that they have "nothing to d ...[text shortened]... h religion" is nonsensical and just a kind of vocabulary-twisting rhetoric rooted in enthusiasm.
    The things I mentioned also have nothing to do with worshiping God in spirit and in truth.
  15. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 11:30
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The things I mentioned also have nothing to do with worshiping God in spirit and in truth.
    The things you mentioned also have nothing to do with with the comment I made to RBHILL.

Whatever you happen to think does or doesn't relate to "worshipping God in spirit and in truth" is a function/manifestation of your religion or your version of your religion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree