Moves
    22 Mar '14 07:451 edit
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 08:09
    I would go for Bxf7+

But then there is a reason I am so low rated...
  3. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 08:19
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I would go for Bxf7+

But then there is a reason I am so low rated...
    The question isn't what's the best move and the purpose of the previous move. It's what was played. 😉
  4. SubscriberRooksandHooks
    rookorbycrook
    Solihull
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 11:54
    bxf7 check winning rook
  5. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 12:06
    I had to look (sorry) and I guessed right.

My only question is, why was this game drawn? It looks winning to me
  6. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 12:491 edit
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain

I'm not sure it's winning -- I don't know enough theory, but I could see that the queening square of my only left passed pawn was the wrong color and that queening it would be probably way beyond my abilities. I was also really mad at myself for overseeing the fork that cost me the other passed pawn. And I was worried about my coming blunders. My opponent is rated higher than me so I was OK with a draw.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 13:16

With best play it should be a draw, but if I were white I would have played on a few moves to make sure black had the right plan.

In the final position black has to capture the pawn on h2, then play Bh2-g1-c5 to make sure he can control f8. After that, white will have an extra pawn, but he can't do anything with it.
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Mar '14 04:05

Even being ahead in material, it's difficult to win a bishops of opposite color endgame.
  9. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    23 Mar '14 10:21
    "opposite colour bishop endgames are drawn"

It seems I am learning this the hard way...
    my head tells me "you are 2 pawns up, it must be winning!"
    but theory seems to dictate otherwise.

I have a game in progress which looks like it should be a draw,
    but I've carried on regardless as it is a tournament final game that I need to win in order to equalise!

Perhaps I need to read up on these endgames
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Mar '14 12:151 edit

but I've carried on regardless as it is a tournament final game that I need to win in order to equalise!

I am an habitually lazy player. I've never dug into games where players with an additional pawn or two or three had won such games. I'd bet it would be an educational opportunity and a wide, interesting study.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Mar '14 14:20
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I am an habitually lazy player. I've never dug into games where players with an additional pawn or two or three had won such games. I'd bet it would be an educational opportunity and a wide, interesting study.
    I don't see the hidden message saying what the next move was so my guess is since you didn't play bx and grab the rook you probably took the pawn with your rook thinking you had a sneaky attack. Which just meant the king moved out of danger and the black pieces were still active.
    If you had taken with bishop and won the rook you would have had a nasty mate threat.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Mar '14 15:212 edits
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    I'm not sure it's winning -- I don't know enough theory, but I could see that the queening square of my only left passed pawn was the wrong color and that queening it would be probably way beyond my abilities. I was also really mad at myself for overseeing the fork that cost me the other passed pawn. And I was worried about my coming blunders. My opponent is rated higher than me so I was OK with a draw.
    Your opponent is not substantially higher rated than you. The rating system is not precise enough for a difference of 60 to count for much. You should carry on with that game, it is a theoretical draw but your opponent could easily get it wrong and be forced to give up his bishop when your a-pawn will queen as you have the correct bishop. You are at almost no risk of losing in the final position as he has only one pawn and can't force you to swap off your bishop. Correct play in the final position is 47. ... Bxh2 48. f6 Bg1! (only move) 49. f7 Bc5 and the pawn can't be promoted, but if black does something like 47. ... Bxg2 48. f6 Kg6?? 49. f7 then he has to give up his bishop to prevent you promoting and the position is won. World Champions have missed easier moves than 48. ... Bg1 so don't automatically expect a 1,550 player to find it.

The game in question was Game 10400898.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Mar '14 19:17

It is the most drawish ending in chess.

In endgames, when you are up a pawn or two, you must constantly watch for ways that your opponent can trade down to opposite color Bishops. It's the best chance of saving a bad endgame.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Mar '14 13:581 edit

Alternative:

Edit: you were lucky to get a draw out of this.
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 13:55
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Your opponent is not substantially higher rated than you. The rating system is not precise enough for a difference of 60 to count for much. You should carry on with that game, it is a theoretical draw but your opponent could easily get it wrong and be forced to give up his bishop when your a-pawn will queen as you have the correct bishop. You are at a ...[text shortened]... automatically expect a 1,550 player to find it.

The game in question was Game 10400898.
    I am glad we agree!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree