1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 09:35
    Do the owners of this site know who their customers are and what devices they use?

I've never been asked even gender and age, let alone whether I play on a company desktop or a smartphone. I would have expected this kind of information to be relevant when making changes to the site, such as the major interface change last year.

Is the typical RHP player just Joe Average, from the Google database, or are we a subset of humans who may not fit into popular boxes at all?
  2. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 09:41
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Do the owners of this site know who their customers are and what devices they use?

I've never been asked even gender and age, let alone whether I play on a company desktop or a smartphone. I would have expected this kind of information to be relevant when making changes to the site, such as the major interface change last year.

Is the typical RHP playe ...[text shortened]... rom the Google database, or are we a subset of humans who may not fit into popular boxes at all?
    We could do a little survey on our own here.

On another site people can log on via their facebook, google+ or whatnot accounts. Information flow might be better there.

In general I would assume chess players to be a special subgroup of internet users. But chess players using a General Froum might constitute a special subgroup of the subgroup...

I myself am middleaged (for German population) have basic control of a second language beyond my original one and use no smartphone.
  3. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 10:06
    Originally posted by Ponderable

On another site people can log on via their facebook, google+ or whatnot accounts. Information flow might be better there.

In general I would assume chess players to be a special subgroup of internet users. But chess players using a General Froum might constitute a special subgroup of the subgroup...

I ...[text shortened]... opulation) have basic control of a second language beyond my original one and use no smartphone.
    Female, 69, speak English pretty well and I don't use smartphone.

Is that the information you had in mind?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 10:481 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable

I ...[text shortened]... opulation) have basic control of a second language beyond my original one and use no smartphone.
    Male knocking on a bit laptop no smartphone,tablet etc English no 2nd language struggle with English language most of the time
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 11:25
    Male, older but wiser, home desktop, fluent in American English.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 11:43
    Male, late 60's, 12 year old desktop, that's as "hi-tech" as I get. Oh I have a "flip" style cellphone that I have to recharge every month...or so.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 11:51
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Male, late 60's, 12 year old desktop, that's as "hi-tech" as I get. Oh I have a "flip" style cellphone that I have to recharge every month...or so.
    miss my old pc this laptop is so slow the old one got screwed up and the e machines re-boot disc didn't work so I kissed her by by its funny how attached you can get to something so soulless.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 11:53
    Female, 69, desktop and very occasionally tablet, both wide screen. Current interface doesn't suit me half as well as the old one did. Don't even own a smartphone and wouldn't use it to play chess if I did. I use a normal browser on the tablet, not a mobile version.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 11:59
    Starting to see a trend here although it's too early to say definitely.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 12:02
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Starting to see a trend here although it's too early to say definitely.
    like a bunch of old fart technophobes ? ps I miss my old car Mazda 323 pop up headlights a pocket rocket the car we have now has all the charm of a mobility scooter
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 12:19
    This thread is depressing.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 12:24
    Originally posted by darvlay
    it is now your commenting
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 12:30
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Why? Because it looks as if the general forum population is made up of greybeards, or because the younger generation can't read and write?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 12:54
    Why? Because it looks as if the general forum population is made up of greybeards, or because the younger generation can't read and write?
    Kewpie that is definitely from the Book Of Righton(well said).
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 13:13
    Non-sequitir bitching about young whippersnappers is not going to help the matter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree