1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 16:19
    I hate threads that just give youtubes. i apologize for starting one.

Following is a scene from the show Newsroom, which i never watched but i am planing to because of this particular scene. it is a summary of what is believed to be wrong with it.

The conclusion is "America is not the greatest country in the world, but it used to be"

YouTube
  2. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 18:29
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

Following is a scene from the show Newsroom, which i never watched but i am planing to because of this particular scene. it is a summary of what is believed to be wrong with it.

The conclusion is "America is not the greatest country in the world, but it used to be"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHSXUS0_1c
    Whom the hell cares !?!

GRANNY.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 18:48
    Didn't follow the link, but any idiot should be able to tell the US isn't what it used to be. Just look at our President!
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 21:08

I think America is in decline, but I don't have anywhere I'd rather live.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 22:471 edit
    I've been to a lot of other countries and I want to say this straight up: The United States of America, on our worst day, is better than any other country out there on their best day. Period!

Carlos Mercia
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 23:57
    The speaker doesn't get specific when he criticizes todays USA. We still cure diseases and have technological breakthroughs etc. A good performance by the actor but not a convincing speech.
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 02:391 edit

I've never understood criticism of this dramatic scene.

Even if you disagree with the criticisms that the character levels at the U.S., I still find it hard to believe you couldn't agree with the character's tone at the end:

"We sure used to be. We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons, we passed laws, struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our chest. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and we cultivated the world's greatest artists and the world's greatest economy. We reached for the stars, acted like men. We aspired to intelligence; we didn't belittle it; it didn't make us feel inferior. We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn't scare so easy. We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed. By great men, men who were revered. The first step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. America is not the greatest country in the world anymore."

What's so terrible about this sentiment? It sure says a lot about the United States' potential. It's something to aspire to, itself.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 03:11
    The U.S. is the greatest nation. It's just that we live every day on the brink of economic collapse. When our end does come, it'll be a swift and spectacular devastation.
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 07:05

Empty apology.

When one is in the act of doing something they feel the need to apologise for but carry on to do precisely that thing...

Here's a nice clip. The BS is catching up.

YouTube
  10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 10:271 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The speaker doesn't get specific when he criticizes todays USA. We still cure diseases and have technological breakthroughs etc. A good performance by the actor but not a convincing speech.
    Maybe you need to run through again those statistics he supplied comparing the USA to a league table of countries on measures particularly about health, or incarcerating so many of your own citizens. He might usefully have included being the most unequal country - from which other social statistics can be predicted. "Making war on poverty, not the poor," was one of his wishes, but of course in the US it is the opposite that happens all the time both at home and abroad.

Ultimately though this speech / scene is just another nauseating rehearsal of US nationalism, played with the twist of a negative sell. (Gee- we are not be best, but we used to be and we could be again.) PUKE.

He may have a point though. This generation may be the most unpleasant and dangerously pig ignorant of the lot. As he noted, past success was possible not least because you used to be better informed. (Not really a good point though come to think of it. Consider "The Quiet American" as an example. I fear that he glamorises the past.)

Wake up to the horrible legacy of nationalism around this tiny planet. Any debate that starts out with the notion of being a great nation is already framing the issues in a perverse way.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 11:50
    Originally posted by vivify
    The U.S. is the greatest nation. It's just that we live every day on the brink of economic collapse. When our end does come, it'll be a swift and spectacular devastation.
    As it destroys the greatest military on the face of the globe, I wonder if Obama will get another Nobel Peace Prize.
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 12:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    As it destroys the greatest military on the face of the globe, I wonder if Obama will get another Nobel Peace Prize.
    Without listening again to that nationalist rant, did it not quote the statistic that the US spends more on its military than the next 26 countries combined, of whom 25 are US allies? I could be mistaken. It is huge in any case.

Interesting that enemies of state power are such defenders of an insane and totally out of control military budget.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 12:281 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I've been to a lot of other countries and I want to say this straight up: The United States of America, on our worst day, is better than any other country out there on their best day. Period!

Carlos Mercia
    don't quote carlos mencia. it is sad
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 12:32
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Maybe you need to run through again those statistics he supplied comparing the USA to a league table of countries on measures particularly about health, or incarcerating so many of your own citizens. He might usefully have included being the most unequal country - from which other social statistics can be predicted. "Making war on poverty, not the poor," w ...[text shortened]... rts out with the notion of being a great nation is already framing the issues in a perverse way.
    i happened to agree actually. the us used to be the greatest country.

it helped win 2 horrific wars, ending them much sooner.
    it helped europe rebuild after the second.
    it stood up to the ussr (no matter who you preferred in the cold war conflict, it still provided opposition, a different ideology).
    it shaped culture
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 13:33
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Without listening again to that nationalist rant, did it not quote the statistic that the US spends more on its military than the next 26 countries combined, of whom 25 are US allies? I could be mistaken. It is huge in any case.

Interesting that enemies of state power are such defenders of an insane and totally out of control military budget.
    You kids better grow a pair and put more money into your military.

The US will no longer be there to protect you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree