Mates

Standard memberfinnegan
Only Chess 29 Mar '14 20:44
  1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 20:44
    On the screen that greets us before signing on there are five mates on display. Just now, three of the five mates were games with a player "veca" of which two had "Phani27" as his opponent in different games. That has to be unusual. I assume they are selected randomly enough by a computer?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 18:47
    Originally posted by finnegan
    On the screen that greets us before signing on there are five mates on display. Just now, three of the five mates were games with a player "veca" of which two had "Phani27" as his opponent in different games. That has to be unusual. I assume they are selected randomly enough by a computer?
    This has been a matter of debate...but there is no offical information about it.

Somebody offered to look for interesting amting positions but was not taken up on the offer.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 14:55
    Don't know veca, but Phani's a prick.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 19:24
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Don't know veca, but Phani's a prick.
    That explains why he gets mated so often then...

But I did not intend to be unpleasant. (Maybe it comes naturally?) I was just amused to see the same name on three of the five mates. especially as it is not so often that we get a mate. People tend to resign - I know I do!
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 22:34
    That explains why he gets mated so often then...

But I did not intend to be unpleasant. (Maybe it comes naturally?) I was just amused to see the same name on three of the five mates. especially as it is not so often that we get a mate. People tend to resign - I know I do!
    You weren't being unpleasant Finny. 🙂
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 23:27
    Strangely enough I have just enjoyed two games with Veca in a tournament. He appears to have a policy of playing every game through to the final mate, and only draws 5% of his games, so with 860 games presently in progress, that does mean we will be seeing a lot more mates from that source. Hold the front page. In fact, I signed on just now and noticed he had another on the front page. He has a grade close to 1700 and wins some 56% of his games, so he is not wasting his own time or that of anyone else, provided of course we decline to accept that chess is a less than useful activity. I have sometimes wondered if it would be a good thing myself to play more games through to the end and to accept fewer draws but it just seems like such hard work...

Anyway - we had two pleasant games - no disrespect intended - but it was a curiosity I thought worth mentioning.
  7. Joined
    21 Mar '14
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 08:16
    "Veca" is a blitz player, he is so far MAP of the month. He plays so many games so quickly that the thought of resignation is a waste for him. He had a rating of 1850 not so long ago. Playing so many games is taking him down. May be he needs to slow down and get back his 1850 rating; He is an amazing player. I had a couple of games with him which were enjoyable.

About the selection of checkmates, the last five checkmates on the site are picked. So, the moment the 6th mate happens, the first one goes off so that the last five remain.
  8. e4
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 13:12
    User 642095 Veca races along mating them and getting mated.
    It's quicker to get mated than resign. If you want to resign to you have
    to go through the yes/no screen.
    Get mated and you don't see the game again.
    He has lost more than 1,000 skulls and taken more than 1,000 skulls.

No idea how the front page mates are chosen but there must be a pattern.
    Look at the game ID's. Are they Prime Numbers?
  9. Joined
    21 Mar '14
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 15:02
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    User 642095 Veca races along mating them and getting mated.
    It's quicker to get mated than resign. If you want to resign to you have
    to go through the yes/no screen.
    Get mated and you don't see the game again.
    He has lost more than 1,000 skulls and taken more than 1,000 skulls.

No idea how the front page mates are chosen but there must be a pattern.
    Look at the game ID's. Are they Prime Numbers?
    The mates chosen are the 5 most recent ones that have happened on the site. This keeps changing with every mate, the most recent one gets added and the oldest on the list drops; that is what I have observed

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree