1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 02:43
    Three groups on Earth, looking up at the moon. One believes it is part of the Earth that broke off at some point. Another believes it is a tiny planet in its own right that got trapped in an orbit around the much bigger Earth. The third group thinks it is an asteroid of some kind. All three believe that they are looking at something different and, to a degree, describe it using different concepts. In fact, they are all looking at exactly the same thing.
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 02:56
    I remember reading that scientist somewhere rewound the clock backwards figuring out rotational speeds and a what-have you and figured
    that there is no way the moon broke away from the earth

Manny
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 03:01
    Originally posted by menace71
    I remember reading that scientist somewhere rewound the clock backwards figuring out rotational speeds and a what-have you and figured that there is no way the moon broke away from the earth
    So that would put you in the group that also had that scientist in it, right?
  4. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 03:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    So that would put you in the group that also had that scientist in it, right?
    😉 Sure LOL

It's an interesting subject the moon

Manny
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 03:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    Three groups on Earth, looking up at the moon. One believes it is part of the Earth that broke off at some point. Another believes it is a tiny planet in its own right that got trapped in an orbit around the much bigger Earth. The third group thinks it is an asteroid of some kind. All three believe that they are looking at something different and, to a degree, describe it using different concepts. In fact, they are all looking at exactly the same thing.
    Do any other groups see the moon differently?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 03:411 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    Do any other groups see the moon differently?
    The analogy is not designed to examine all religions or a commonality for all possible beliefs, including those that do not involve the Abrahamic God that the moon represents. I am sure the analogy would split at the seams at some point if we heap to much onto it. 😛

Let's say that the three groups in the OP comprise all observers of the moon here on Earth.
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 11:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    The analogy is not designed to examine all religions or a commonality for all possible beliefs, including those that do not involve the Abrahamic God that the moon represents. I am sure the analogy would split at the seams at some point if we heap to much onto it. 😛

Let's say that the three groups in the OP comprise all observers of the moon here on Earth.
    So what is the question?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 11:421 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    So what is the question?
    I think the question I am raising here is to what degree does this analogy shed light on the nature of the division between the followers of the Abrahamic God.

The aim is not to minimize the doctrinal differences between Jews, Muslims and Christians, only to analogise their commonality.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 18:002 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think the question I am raising here is to what degree does this analogy shed light on the nature of the division between the followers of the Abrahamic God.

The aim is not to minimize the doctrinal differences between Jews, Muslims and Christians, only to analogise their commonality.
    The analogy might carry over to other secular events for example:

One group believes Lavoisier discovered oxygen.
    One group believes Priestley discovered oxygen.
    One group believes Scheele discovered oxygen.

The matter hinges on historical records and perhaps a view of what it means to be a discoverer and which and when if any of these men did what that means.

However WRT to the 3 religions, I believe it necessitates some research on the role of Abraham as the first Jew (Judaism), an important ancestor of Jesus (Christianity) or a prophet in the lineage of Mohammed (Islam). And then, what question is to be asked? What is the analogy to the "definition of discovery" that is pivotal in the discussion of oxygen? It is not which religion Abraham truly "founded" if some sense of "founded" applies in all three cases, is it?

Obviously, for the people of all three religions, Abraham truly founded my religion and not the others.🙂

This could be analogized to oxygen: The French, English and Swedish will each see their compatriot as the true discoverer of oxygen, depending on the meaning of "discoverer." (This is an overstatement. Most people don't care.)
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:59
    Originally posted by JS357
    The analogy might carry over to other secular events for example:

One group believes Lavoisier discovered oxygen.
    One group believes Priestley discovered oxygen.
    One group believes Scheele discovered oxygen.

The matter hinges on historical records and perhaps a view of what it means to be a discoverer and which and when if any of these men did what tha ...[text shortened]... n, depending on the meaning of "discoverer." (This is an overstatement. Most people don't care.)
    I don't think Christianity can be rightly called Abrahamic--- although he is certainly seminal and certainly one through whom the promise passed.

For my money, the first promise was the best: (to the woman) your seed... it shall bruise thy (Satan's) head.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 01:59
    Originally posted by FMF

It is what one believes about Jesus that counts, for He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 02:10
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is what one believes about Jesus that counts, for He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
    You'd be in one of the three groups in the analogy which is about the three Abrahamic religions and not about Jesus specifically.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 04:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    You'd be in one of the three groups in the analogy which is about the three Abrahamic religions and not about Jesus specifically.
    It only matters to the one believing in the Truth.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 04:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It only matters to the one believing in the Truth.
    Yes, but if you understand the analogy, you will see that there are three groups who profess to know "the Truth". Do you recognize any commonality between the three Abrahamic religions?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 06:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes, but if you understand the analogy, you will see that there are three groups who profess to know "the Truth". Do you recognize any commonality between the three Abrahamic religions?
    Even atheists profess to know the truth. Evolutionists profess to know the truth. However, there is only One that claims to be "the Truth". Now, do you understand what I mean?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree