1. Joined
    06 Jul '12
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:29
    > What if the only things you woke up with today were the things
    you thanked God for yesterday?

I suspect that, if you are anything like me, this question will stick with you for awhile... and, I hope, support you to remember all that you have for which you can/should give Thanks/be grateful.

So I'll leave it at that...
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:35
    Originally posted by Lloyd E Adkins
    > What if the only things you woke up with today were the things
    you thanked God for yesterday?

I suspect that, if you are anything like me, this question will stick with you for awhile... and, I hope, support you to remember all that you have for which you can/should give Thanks/be grateful.

So I'll leave it at that...
    did you thank god for oxygen, hydrogen, skin, brains, carbon, intestines, iron, a spherical-ish earth (cube would be a disaster), urinary tract, colon, photosynthesis....................if i didnt and woke up the next day without them, i would be irked.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:37
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    did you thank god for oxygen, hydrogen, skin, brains, carbon, intestines, iron, a spherical-ish earth (cube would be a disaster), urinary tract, colon, photosynthesis....................if i didnt and woke up the next day without them, i would be irked.
    Thus proving that if the question sticks with a thinking person for even a short while, they will quickly see how ridiculous it is. 😛
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:41
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Thus proving that if the question sticks with a thinking person for even a short while, they will quickly see how ridiculous it is. 😛
    That.
    Or be overwhelmed by the sheer grace involved.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:45
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    That.
    Or be overwhelmed by the sheer grace involved.
    It's not grace to give your children warm clothing, a roof over their head, a bed to sleep in, food, etc. It's simply what you're supposed to do as a parent. To do any less is dereliction of duty.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:46
    It's not grace to give your children warm clothing, a roof over their head, a bed to sleep in, food, etc. It's simply what you're supposed to do as a parent. To do any less is dereliction of duty.
    Please explain why.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:48
    Please explain why.
    Because the parent chose to bring them into the world. The offspring have no say in it. Nor can the offspring care for themselves. Thus, the parent is morally obligated to provide such things, if they can.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:52
    Please explain why.
    explain why????? do you have kids?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:53
    Because the parent chose to bring them into the world. The offspring have no say in it. Nor can the offspring care for themselves. Thus, the parent is morally obligated to provide such things, if they can.
    Setting aside such quagmires as "morally obligated" for the time being, what of the parent's care is the recipient due in and of themselves?
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:54
    He does, and he knows the real answer, even if he will not admit it. I daresay 99.9% of theists would not abandon their child on God's command.

We're just doing the usual rhetorical dance of "Atheist, you cannot claim that! You have no moral foundation to claim that!" When in fact we have exactly the same real reasons that the theists have.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:571 edit
    Setting aside such quagmires as "morally obligated" for the time being, what of the parent's care is the recipient due in and of themselves?
    Their basic physical needs should be met, at minimum. There are some harder-to-define obligations to provide emotional support.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 21:59
    regardless of morality, parents put their childs needs before their own....the same cannot be said for your god.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 22:00
    He does, and he knows the real answer, even if he will not admit it. I daresay 99.9% of theists would not abandon their child on God's command.

We're just doing the usual rhetorical dance of "Atheist, you cannot claim that! You have no moral foundation to claim that!" When in fact we have exactly the same real reasons that the theists have.
    i wonder if he would rape his children if his god commanded?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 22:00
    Six of the little bundles of joy, thanks.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 22:01

I have my answer; looking for yours.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree