1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 06:165 edits
    Could anyone suggest some fiction or non fiction book titles or short stories that deal with chess tournaments or chess experiences similar to the two listed below. I've read biography's on most of the world champions, but like reading about chess lore and tournament drama, there are so few of them (My old, worn out copy of the Queens Gambit is literally falling apart.) Any suggestions would be welcome.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/312443.The_Chess_Companion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen%27s_Gambit_(novel)
  2. Joined
    01 Jul '12
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 20:35
    I have two older books-grandmasters of chess by Harold Schonberg 1973and chess panorama by William Lombardy and david daniels 1975.They both are more about the players lives and personalities with a yypical game or two added in.Being older books the notationis descriptive not algabreic but both have some very interesting stories
  3. Joined
    03 Jul '13
    Moves
    25 Apr '14 14:562 edits
    Two works of fiction I'd recommend are:
    Chess by Stefan Zweig (also published under the title of The Royal Game),
    and The Defence by Vladimir Nabokov.
  4. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 00:25
    Try finding the short story Last Round. Has an old master winning the world title vs. a near-invincible Russian with a Danish Gambit(author uses the moves from a famous Charousek game)
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 11:39
    Originally posted by bill718
    Could anyone suggest some fiction or non fiction book titles or short stories that deal with chess tournaments or chess experiences similar to the two listed below. I've read biography's on most of the world champions, but like reading about chess lore and tournament drama, there are so few of them (My old, worn out copy of the Queens Gambit is literally f ...[text shortened]... /book/show/312443.The_Chess_Companion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen%27s_Gambit_(novel)
    Kurt Vonnegut Jr. wrote a short story "All The Kings Horses" about a deadly chess game. I think it was published in his collection "Welcome to the Monkey House."
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 19:34
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Kurt Vonnegut Jr. wrote a short story "All The Kings Horses" about a deadly chess game. I think it was published in his collection "Welcome to the Monkey House."
    Thank You everyone for the suggestions. 🙂
  7. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    15 May '14 19:21
    "The Chess Players" by Frances Parkinson Keyes

The true story of a Confederate spy named Paul Morphy, a chess prodigy who traveled across the country and Europe as a chess player, acting as a Confederate spy in Paris.
  8. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    15 May '14 19:24
    Also, The Treasure of Chess Lore, an anthology of articles, stories, and quotations compiled by Fred Reinfeld. It was first published in 1951 (from An Illustrated Dictionary of Chess).

I think you're gonna love this, though I haven't read it.
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    15 May '14 19:27
    I almost forgot. "Lisa, a chess novel" by Jesse Kraai.
  10. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    15 May '14 20:09
    And another one: Chess Rumble by G. Neri and Jesse Joshua Watson.

A story in free verse about a troubled boy who learns to use his mind instead of his fists through the guidance of an unconventional mentor and the game of chess. Illustrations.
  11. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    16 May '14 20:131 edit
    Soltis wrote a book "The Great Chess Tournaments and Their Stories, it is a pretty good read.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree