1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 06:192 edits
    1. If God exists, why wouldn't He create what He wanted fully formed rather than let whatever would be evolve from nothing over billions or so years?

2. If God exists, why would God take 13.72 billion years to create a world when He could do it in 6 days?

3. If God exists, why would God make man in the image of God, rather than just let whatever evolve from a primordial pool.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 06:30
    If god exists, why?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 06:37
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If god exists, why?
    Just a wild guess, but maybe evolution is not smart and has no intelligence and therefore, God must exist in order for man to exist.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 06:38
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    1. If God exists, why wouldn't He create what He wanted fully formed rather than let whatever would be evolve from nothing over billions or so years?

2. If God exists, why would God take 13.72 billion years to create a world when He could do it in 6 days?

3. If God exists, why would God make man in the image of God, rather than just let whatever evolve from a primordial pool.
    One answer to "2" is rather obvious.

If he wanted to create the universe as it is today - he could have.
    But then tomorrow you have the same question:
    Why did he not create today instead of yesterday?
    ad infinitum

If you believe in a Creator then he could have created the Universe at any
    point in time.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 06:40
    Just a wild guess, but maybe evolution is not smart and has no intelligence and therefore, God must exist in order for man to exist.
    Evolution is Natural Selection.
    If god controls Nature then he is selecting the winners.
    Just like we breed dogs.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 06:48
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    One answer to "2" is rather obvious.

If he wanted to create the universe as it is today - he could have.
    But then tomorrow you have the same question:
    Why did he not create today instead of yesterday?
    ad infinitum

If you believe in a Creator then he could have created the Universe at any
    point in time.
    If God exists and wanted to create something, He had to start some time. Maybe in the beginning is a good time. So I say it is better early than late.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 06:58
    I guess I shouldn't have started this thread, but I was feeling bored. I guess I will just go to bed and try to sleep my boredom away. Maybe I'll have some nice dreams. Good night.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 07:33
    If God exists and wanted to create something, He had to start some time. Maybe in the beginning is a good time. So I say it is better early than late.
    How does what you say now have any effect on
    when your god decided to get things rolling?
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 07:34
    I guess I shouldn't have started this thread, but I was feeling bored. I guess I will just go to bed and try to sleep my boredom away. Maybe I'll have some nice dreams. Good night.
    Yep.
    Don't ask questions if you don't want answers.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 11:55

If God exists and the Christians have it more or less right then there is a final judgement. For the final judgement to have any meaning we must have a choice about faith, in order for that to be a meaningful choice we need a universe which could have come about on its own. If it were obviously a creation then there could be no choice about belief.

What do you mean by create a world? In the account you subscribe to people lived for implausibly long time periods and then there was a global flood - so the world we know today took rather more than a week to produce. In the Scientific narrative the universe was created in an instant and then evolved into what we have today.

Possibly the notion that we were created in the image of God is a human conceit? Or, maybe this is at a spiritual, rather than physical, level.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 15:16
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    If God exists and the Christians have it more or less right then there is a final judgement. For the final judgement to have any meaning we must have a choice about faith, in order for that to be a meaningful choice we need a universe which could have come about on its own. If it were obviously a creation then there could be no choice about bel ...[text shortened]... image of God is a human conceit? Or, maybe this is at a spiritual, rather than physical, level.
    I don't see how we can have a choice about faith.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 15:55
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It all depends on your definition of 'choice' and your understanding of free will.
    If 'choice' implies random decision making, then you typically do not have a choice about belief.
    If 'choice' implies using your brain and prior knowledge to decide something then you do have a choice about belief.
    Faith is similar, but I think typically proceeds much more from an emotional sort of decision making than the more rational process that leads to belief. But it is actually more of a choice than belief is, in that it more heavily depends on your own internal psyche than on direct evidence.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 17:00
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It's a good point, that was why I had the conditionals in the first sentence. It's hardly fair to condemn someone to eternal suffering, or oblivion, or whatever is meant to happen if there is no choice in what we believe.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 17:39
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    It's a good point, that was why I had the conditionals in the first sentence. It's hardly fair to condemn someone to eternal suffering, or oblivion, or whatever is meant to happen if there is no choice in what we believe.
    What is required for punishment of any kind to be fair?
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 23:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What is required for punishment of any kind to be fair?
    Justice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree