1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 21:13
    After an offline exchange with Twhitehead recently, I would like to open a thread about "real" Christianity and me being a "real" Christian.

Why?

Well twhitehead mentioned a few times in various exchanges between us something along the lines of "I wonder if you really believe..."This is not a challenge or attack on twhitehead, far from it, it a genuine invite to discuss what it means to "really" believe and/or really be a"real" Christian.

As many of you will know I'm anti denominational/organised religion but here are a few other things about me relative to religion and me:

I think I really do believe there is a God and that that God was represented as Christ here on earth. I think I believe this because I'm committed to it. I believe that God is committed to me but I only have the Bible's word for that.

I believe that within this belief construct I have, that the bible is the sole authority on the aspects of God. I'm not sure why I believe this though. I believe I've had experiences with God. Few and far between, but extremely compelling even for a fairly rational chap such as myself. You don't need and won't get details, just take my word for my perspective on that matter, that I believe it, or not, that it happened.

I question my faith a lot, but always find myself unable to put it down. I am somewhat of an island in that I don't mix in organised religion, but I do have fellowship. I despise corporate religion, the manipulation, authoritarianism, pomp, house-groups with tea and pleasantries, the offering plate, TV evangelists, cultism and exclusivity, spiritual snobbery and wishy-washy supercilious mystisism.

Yet I love the Gospel and declare Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

Who here can help me know if I am a real Christian?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 21:23
    If I recall correctly, the reason I asked if you 'really believe' was because you were putting things in this life as paramount. Someone who believes in life after death should have an entirely different value system from someone who does not. If you believe that death is the end, then it follows that dying is one of the worst things that can happen to a person and that it is morally wrong to bring about death (with exceptions of course). But this does not automatically follow for someone who believes in life after death.
    So, what are your views on life after death?
    Why is murder wrong? Is it because God says so in the Bible? Or is there more to it than that?
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 21:23
    Originally posted by divegeester
    After an offline exchange with Twhitehead recently, I would like to open a thread about "real" Christianity and me being a "real" Christian.

Why?

Well twhitehead mentioned a few times in various exchanges between us something along the lines of "I wonder if you really believe..."This is not a challenge or attack on twhitehead, far from it, it a ge ...[text shortened]... lare Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

Maybe the Bible has a few definitions of what is a 'real' Christian. However other expressions like true, pure, devout might be used.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 21:27
    As for the thread title, I personally think everyone has the right to give themselves the label they choose. So if you call yourself a Christian then I think you have the right to call yourself that. I also don't think anyone owns the trademark so nobody should rightly call themselves 'real Christian' as it implies others wishing to use the label are fake in some way.
  5. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 21:59

Why?

Well twhitehead mentioned a few times in various exchanges between us something along the lines of "I wonder if you really believe..."This is not a challenge or attack on twhitehead, far from it, it a ge ...[text shortened]... lare Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

Who is a Christian but he or she who professes and follows Christ?
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 22:06
    Originally posted by hakima
    Who is a Christian but he or she who professes and follows Christ?
    The point is that there are some Christians who differentiate between true or real Christian and other types. The 'others' are those who profess Christ but do not in fact follow. I guess everyone has their own definition.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 01:35
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The point is that there are some Christians who differentiate between true or real Christian and other types. The 'others' are those who profess Christ but do not in fact follow. I guess everyone has their own definition.
    And of course, you're talking about yourself.

Jesus doesn't turn people away who seek for Him. Unlike you, He knows what is in their hearts.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 01:40
    Yet I love the Gospel and declare Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

I don't think anyone here can tell you that.

Why don't you ask the one who knows?

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed." -- James 1:5-6, KJV

I believe you have faith. So ask of God, from whom we receive everything.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 01:49
    Originally posted by Suzianne

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed." -- James 1:5-6, KJV

Ditto!
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 01:53
    And of course, you're talking about yourself.

Jesus doesn't turn people away who seek for Him. Unlike you, He knows what is in their hearts.
    Gee, that didn't last long. 😕

Err, I mean, welcome back. 🙂
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 01:561 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Gee, that didn't last long. 😕

Err, I mean, welcome back. 🙂
    I hesitated actually coming back, because I hated the label "drama queen".

I guess it's easy to label people for their opinions, it's been going on here far too long to stop now.

But this thread is not about that, nor me.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 02:12

Why?

In Romans 3:28 and 29, you will read Paul talking about the Jews. But in fact what he is really talking about are all the children of God.

It reads: "To be a Jew is not just to look like a Jew, and circumcision is more than a physical operation. The real Jew is one who is inwardly a Jew, and the real circumcision is in the heart." "A Jew like that may not be praised by man, but he will be praised by God."

You are not the island that you think you are, there are many, many, many people in this very same boat.

A real Christian is one who strives to love God with all his heart. Strives to have compassion for others.

A real Christian is basically in love with God. God lives in him and he in God
  13. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 02:13
    I hesitated actually coming back, because I hated the label "drama queen".

I guess it's easy to label people for their opinions, it's been going on here far too long to stop now.

But this thread is not about that, nor me.
    If it bothers you why do you feed him. Just don't answer.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 03:17

Why?

"Who here can help me know if I am a real Christian?"

I can.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 05:50

The idea is to generate a discussion. Do you really think I'm looking for personal spiritual advice here?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree