1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    23 Jul '14 00:27
    Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) writes in the NYT opinion pages:

"We need a national movement to adopt the 'top-two' primary (also known as an open primary), in which all voters, regardless of party registration, can vote and the top two vote-getters, regardless of party, then enter a runoff. This would prevent a hard-right or hard-left candidate from gaining office with the support of just a sliver of the voters of the vastly diminished primary electorate; to finish in the top two, candidates from either party would have to reach out to the broad middle."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/22/opinion/charles-schumer-adopt-the-open-primary.html?_r=0

I'm thrilled he's calling attention to the relationship between our electoral system and political polarization, especially insofar as he also criticizes "winner-take-all" elections, campaign finance regulations (or the lack thereof), and partisan gerrymandering.

With that said, a "top-two" primary system could still backfire if it splits moderate candidates' support. For example, two moderate candidates could each take 20% of the primary vote, while Liberal Libby and Conservative Connor each take 30% and advance to a typical, polarized general election, despite the fact that 40% of primary voters favored a more moderate candidate.

What's the solution in that case? Ranked-choice voting.

http://www.fairvote.org/reforms/instant-runoff-voting/
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '14 03:36
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) writes in the NYT opinion pages:

"We need a national movement to adopt the 'top-two' primary (also known as an open primary), in which all voters, regardless of party registration, can vote and the top two vote-getters, regardless of party, then enter a runoff. This would prevent a hard-right or hard-left candidate from gainin ...[text shortened]... on in that case? Ranked-choice voting.

http://www.fairvote.org/reforms/instant-runoff-voting/
    I say Rhino's should stick to begging democrats to vote for them in primaries.....or are they really this desperate now?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    23 Jul '14 06:48
    Even better, just adopt a system where no individual has a lot of power in politics. This breeds a culture of compromise automatically.
  4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    24 Jul '14 03:291 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I say Rhino's should stick to begging democrats to vote for them in primaries.....or are they really this desperate now?
    Republicans can complain about Sen. Cochran's tactics all they want, but

1) most analysts agree that the votes were legal, or even if there were some illegal votes, there wouldn't have been enough to make up the difference by which state Sen. McDaniel lost;

2) it is a completely reasonable political and ethical response by individual Mississippi voters, given the winner-take-all primary electoral system in place in Mississippi;

3) it sets up a general election that arguably more accurately reflects the opinions of Mississippi voters on the whole.

With all that said, I agree that Mississippi is a great case study for much of what's wrong with elections in the United States--even if I think so for different reasons than you do. But your particular concern could have been addressed if ranked-choice voting were in place and partisan primaries weren't.
  5. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    24 Jul '14 03:34
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Even better, just adopt a system where no individual has a lot of power in politics. This breeds a culture of compromise automatically.
    Is that sarcastic? If not, then I'm not sure I agree.

I think the emerging socio-political shift towards libertarian hyper-individuality is one of the causes of partisan gridlock. It's the whole idea that "I can't support something, or someone, unless I agree with it/him 100%--only my idea/I can accomplish what I think is best."

More of that mentality breeds more gridlock, not less.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '14 20:481 edit
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Republicans can complain about Sen. Cochran's tactics all they want, but

1) most analysts agree that the votes were legal, or even if there were some illegal votes, there wouldn't have been enough to make up the difference by which state Sen. McDaniel lost;

2) it is a completely reasonable political and ethical response by [b]individual
    Mississi ...[text shortened]... could have been addressed if ranked-choice voting were in place and partisan primaries weren't.[/b]
    No one has any interest with democracy. The only goal is control.

That is why Congress only has a 10% approval rating, with an indifferent Congress doing business like they always do. Why? Because they can and because they know all the tricks and traps to get elected again, and again, and again, and again......

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree