1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 21:43
    For those who don't think there is a hell, what purpose does life have on earth today? Is there no purpose? Will we all wind up the same in the next life?

Also, for those who don't attend church. When Jesus said that he would build his church, what was he talking about? If he was talking about an actual organized body, why do you not attend church? If it is not an organized body of believers, what was Jesus talking about?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 21:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    For those who don't think there is a hell, what purpose does life have on earth today? Is there no purpose? Will we all wind up the same in the next life?

Also, for those who don't attend church. When Jesus said that he would build his church, what was he talking about? If he was talking about an actual organized body, why do you not attend church? If it is not an organized body of believers, what was Jesus talking about?
    The first sentence is wierd or badly phrased. Are you implying there must be a 'hell' [whatever that means] for life to have a purpose?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 21:49
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The first sentence is wierd or badly phrased. Are you implying there must be a 'hell' [whatever that means] for life to have a purpose?
    I'm just inquiring as to what purpose we have here.

If nothing changes due to our living here in regards to eternity, what purpose do we have here?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 22:09
    I think he wants to know why you believe the Holy Bible mentions a Hell and a Lake of Fire for unrepentant sinners if no one is going there.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 22:18
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think he wants to know why you believe the Holy Bible mentions a Hell and a Lake of Fire for unrepentant sinners if no one is going there.
    Evildoers are destroyed in the lake of fire. Who said nobody is going there?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 22:30

I believe there is a lake of fire, but it has nothing to do with my purpose here on earth.
    If your purpose here on earth is only to avoid the Lake of fire, it is a lame reason for existence.
    We are here to love and praise God and his son Jesus.

The word church(ecclisastes) means a group called out for a specific purpose. It is not about a man made building.
    We are supposed to fellowship with other believers, if that is what you mean.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 22:46
    Evildoers are destroyed in the lake of fire. Who said nobody is going there?
    I believe whodey believes there are some people on this forum that do not believe in a Hell where people are punished for their sins. If everybody goes to heaven anyway, then what is the purpose of a life on earth? Why did not God just create us in Heaven to begin with like He did the angels? That is my take on his post.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 22:51
    I believe whodey believes there are some people on this forum that do not believe in a Hell where people are punished for their sins. If everybody goes to heaven anyway, then what is the purpose of a life on earth? Why did not God just create us in Heaven to begin with like He did the angels? That is my take on his post.
    Every one does not go to heaven or receive eternal life if there is no hell.
    Those who reject Jesus, go in the Lake of fire and burn up, cease to exist.
    I don't know of anyone who believes everyone gets eternal life.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 22:56
    I'm just inquiring as to what purpose we have here.

Why do you think we have a purpose here?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '14 00:06

In response to your first question; I haven't see any Christians here claimimg there is no hell. I don't see what hell has to do with purpose.

In response to your second question; I know this for an absolute certainty, Jesus was not talking about cults or denominations or in fact any sort of corporate religious body, he was talking about his body, his people, of whom he is the head. Contemporary "churchgoing" is largely a waste of a good Sunday morning.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Aug '14 04:061 edit

God has an eternal purpose in creating the universe and man within it.

God's purpose towards which He moves history and for which He created the creation is seen in Revelation 21 and 22. But it is very symbolic.

God's eternal purpose is to work Himself into man that God and man may be united, mingled, interwoven in a organic unity. This entity is in one way a living house and temple for God and from another angle a Bride and Wife to perfectly match Jesus Christ.

God's eternal purpose is to mass produce sons of God, brothers of Jesus Christ as a corporate living temple city New Jerusalem. God and man are blended in one.

It is for this reason that the universe exists and that we were created in it.
    The invisible uncreated Divine Person wants to be made visible to His creatures by being imparted into them to be their live and everything.

God wants what Christ is - the mingling of Divinity with Humanity.
    He wants Christ and He wants Christ expanded, Christ enlarged, Christ multiplied and built up together in life and love to be a city New Jerusalem.

www.godseconomy.org
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Aug '14 15:371 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    In response to your second question; I know this for an absolute certainty, Jesus was not talking about cults or denominations or in fact any sort of corporate religious body, he was talking about his body, his people, of whom he is the head. Contemporary "churchgoing" is largely a waste of a good Sunday morning.
    As I said before, maybe you should consider going to a Quaker... service? meeting? (not sure what they call it)

As I understand it, Quakers also believe that God is everywhere and to require a building is not completely necessary for worship. Presumably I guess they do it for the fellowship with others. I have heard that they do not have a laity, per se, no minister or preacher giving a sermon or guiding the worship. Most of the time is spent in solo contemplation or prayer, and others there can give a little talk if the spirit moves them (or not). Even though they may act as a community, have pot luck dinners and such, I'm pretty sure they do not consider themselves a "corporate body".

Who knows? You might like it. 🙂
  13. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:48
    Whodey,
    Perhaps, one of the purposes for unsaved people is to have time to accept Christ as Savior and Lord. People given enough time for human life have time to believe by faith in Christ for forgiveness of sin and for eternal life.

For believers, they have time to tell others about Christ's salvation.

As for all other purposes, your question about the purposes for human life, is a good one.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 03:21
    Finally!

Thanks RJ, that is exactly what I'm asking.

Words....so...hard....find.......
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 03:25
    Originally posted by divegeester
    In response to your first question; I haven't see any Christians here claimimg there is no hell. I don't see what hell has to do with purpose.

In response to your second question; I know this for an absolute certainty, Jesus was not talking about cults or denominations or in fact any sort of corporate religious body, he was talking about his body, hi ...[text shortened]... of whom he is the head. Contemporary "churchgoing" is largely a waste of a good Sunday morning.
    Really? So going to church is a waste of time for everyone?

That is a very broad brush your using their fella.

Why do you think Jesus hung out at the Synagogue? Why did he take a whip and drive out the money changers? Why should a synagogue mean anything to him?

Why did the disciples start organized churches? Why did Paul waste all his time starting churches and writing letters to churches?

Was Paul wasting his time as well?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree