1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 02:55
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/wife-robin-williams-had-parkinsons-disease-his-94744481702.html

Apparently, Robin Williams had recently been diagnosed with Parkinsons.

Was this the reason he killed himself? If so, should he be given the right to kill himself? For those who are in favor of euthanasia, should Robin have been able to check into a medical facility and terminate his life without any fear of "pain"?
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 03:55
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/wife-robin-williams-had-parkinsons-disease-his-94744481702.html

Apparently, Robin Williams had recently been diagnosed with Parkinsons.

Was this the reason he killed himself? If so, should he be given the right to kill himself? For those who are in favor of euthanasia, should Robin have been able to check into a medical facility and terminate his life without any fear of "pain"?
    Yes
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 03:56
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Yes
    So if Robin asked you to press a button to end his life, for whatever reason, you would hit the button?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 04:57
    If so, should he be given the right to kill himself?
    What could be reasons to deny that right?
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 05:03
    [b If so, should he be given the right to kill himself? [/b]
    No one can give him that right, he had it. As we all do.
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 08:01
    So if Robin asked you to press a button to end his life, for whatever reason, you would hit the button?
    for whatever reason,
    That insert destroys any value in your loaded question while insulting the intelligence of the person you wished to answer.
  7. Standard memberpawnpaw
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 08:27
    He doesn't need to ask you, or anyone else, to push the button.
    He can do it himself.
  8. Joined
    20 Feb '11
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 08:341 edit
    I see the whodey's question and point....so if one is afflicted or faces a hardship that gives them an excuse to hit the button. Also more and more former NFL players have been diagnosed with early onset of parkinsons and they have hit the button. So maybe we shouldn't get overzealous.
  9. Joined
    20 Feb '11
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 08:401 edit
    Yes, I think that right should be given.
    but....if he had 'Early" parkinsons' does the family have any say in the matter?
  10. Joined
    20 Feb '11
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 08:46
    I can't even edit so I'm hitting the button on gort on the thread.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 10:54
    Originally posted by finnegan
    for whatever reason,
    That insert destroys any value in your loaded question while insulting the intelligence of the person you wished to answer.
    Why?

From discussing the issue with many who favor euthanasia, the thinking is that people should be allowed to die with "dignity" when facing hardship physically. Usually this involves someone in a great deal of physical pain.

However, what about emotional pain? Robin did not seem to be suffering physically, other than the beginning onset of Parkinsons. Should this physical problem allow us to help him kill himself?

Then there is emotional pain. I've seen Robin give public messages about suicide saying that you should not choose it because it is a permanent problem to what is usually a temporary problem. But do the emotional problems ever go away entirely?

In short, when do we try to stop people from killing themselves in order to try and fix their mental state, and when do we just say screw it, and help them kill themselves?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 10:561 edit
    Originally posted by gort
    I see the whodey's question and point....so if one is afflicted or faces a hardship that gives them an excuse to hit the button. Also more and more former NFL players have been diagnosed with early onset of parkinsons and they have hit the button. So maybe we shouldn't get overzealous.
    Exactly.

Life is full of hardship and pain. Therefore, do we want to create a society that offers an "easy way out" or a society that tries to encourage people to work through them?

If I had been there, I would have punched Robin between the eyes and knocked him out if I had to before allowing him to kill himself, so as to try and get him the help he needs.

However, I think many here might have put the noose around his neck to help him hang himself.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 13:251 edit
    If I had been there, I would have punched Robin between the eyes and knocked him out if I had to before allowing him to kill himself, so as to try and get him the help he needs
    See here Whodey's idea of "Freedom".

Marvelous.
  14. Garner, NC
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 14:10
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    See here Whodey's idea of "Freedom".

Marvelous.
    Would you try to physically stop your child (assuming he or she has reached adulthood) from committing suicide?

What about a friend?

What about a co-worker?

And since this is hypothetical, let's assume they were "depressed", not dying in agony from cancer.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 14:55
    Originally posted by techsouth
    Would you try to physically stop your child (assuming he or she has reached adulthood) from committing suicide?

What about a friend?

What about a co-worker?

And since this is hypothetical, let's assume they were "depressed", not dying in agony from cancer.
    Yes, I would attempt to stop somebody from committing suicide.

I just find it ironic that Whodey - always so concerned with Freedom being taken away and Personal Responsibility disappearing as the Nanny State takes over your, mine and everybody's life* - is so easy to ditch all of that when somebody decides to steer that Freedom in a direction that Whodey doesn't like.

Does Whodey feel for instance that an individual should be forced to take medication against some terrible disease, even if he/she doesn't want to?

What about somebody in the ER carrying a DNR?

* I'm positive Whodey could phrase this in a more poetic, hyperbolic way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree