1. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    18 Sep '14 11:361 edit
    George Orwell:
    http://tinyurl.com/qh2bnte

Rashid Nezhmetdinov:
    http://tinyurl.com/nztoe95

And while we're on the subject of Nezhmetdinov, here are some great quotes about him (taken from http://tacticachess.com/?page_id=126):

Nezhmetdinov, this nondescript short man, wearing the same suit for years and living on several cups of extremely strong tea a day, was burning himself with the best fire in the world, the search of Eternal Beauty, did not belong to the elite. For this he was too much of a genius. – Lev Khariton

Rashid Nezhmetdinov, with whose games I made my first acquaintance through the excellent books by Koblentz, has ever since my youngest chess days been my greatest secret hero. Why “secret”? Well, because there was simply no point in praising the beauty of his games to my mates since none of them had ever heard of Nezhmetdinov. Only from a certain Mr. Korchnoi did I earn an approving nod. – Richard Forster

Well, colour won’t matter. Nezhmetdinov can play any opening. Somewhere he will sacrifice a pawn for the initiative. Then he will sacrifice another. Then he will sacrifice a piece for an attack. The he’ll probably sacrifice another piece to drive your king in the centre. Then he will checkmate you. – Unknown trainer to his student, Alexey Suetin

With the passing of time, tournament tables tend to lose interest but some games played in these tournaments live forever, and in this respect Nezhmetdinov was one of the most richly endowed players. – Nigel Davies

The greatest master of the initiative. – Lev Polugaevsky (on Nezhmetdinov)

Nobody sees combinations as Rashid Nezhmetdinov. – Mikhail Botvinnik

Sunk in thought for a long time, I understood that I was to say good-by to all hope and was losing a game that would be spread all over the world. – Lev Polugaevsky (on a loss to Nezhmetdinov)

When I lost to Nezhmetdinov!! – Mikhail Tal (on the happiest day of his life)
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 04:16
  3. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 04:43
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    [pgn]
    [Event "Rostov"]
    [Site "Rostov"]
    [Date "1962.??.??"]
    [EventDate "?"]
    [Round "?"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [White "Rashid Gibiatovich Nezhmetdinov"]
    [Black "Oleg L Chernikov"]
    [ECO "B35"]
    [WhiteElo "?"]
    [BlackElo "?"]
    [PlyCount "65"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 g6 5. Nc3 Bg7 6. Be3
    Nf6 7. Bc4 O-O 8. Bb3 Ng4 9. Qxg4 Nxd4 10. Qh4 Q ...[text shortened]... Rc7 28. Bxf7+ Rxf7 29. Rh8+ Kxh8 30. Nxf7+ Kh7
    31. Nxd8 Rxe4 32. Nc6 Rxf4+ 33. Ke2 1-0
    [/pgn]
    Wow! I didn't understand that at all!
  4. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 15:19
    Originally posted by byedidia
    Cardinal Ximénez: "NOBODY understands the Nezhmetdinov combination!"
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 16:54
    Way too many hanging pieces for me to make sense of this game. GP, can you note this up for us duffers?
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 17:00
    Originally posted by byedidia
    It was a positional Queen sac. It's f'ing amazing.

Even if I don't fully understand it, I can look at the black position and appreciate how hard it would be to thread the needle to a draw, which is apparently what the analysts/comps think he can get with best play.
  7. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    20 Sep '14 08:591 edit
    Nezhmetdinov Baskin 1948

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree