2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '14 12:04
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Not eventually. Now.

What have you got right now?
    An abiding faith in Jesus Christ; an inner peace and tranquility of soul and an eternal future with Him (as well as the hostility of unbelievers here who are trying to escape the futility and despair of life which is otherwise ultimately incomprehensible).
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '14 12:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    An abiding faith in Jesus Christ; an inner peace and tranquility of soul and an eternal future with Him (as well as the hostility of unbelievers here who are trying to escape the futility and despair of life which is otherwise ultimately incomprehensible).
    "...the futility and despair of life which is otherwise ultimately incomprehensible".

You'll have met many people, no doubt, who have been driven to take refuge in religion for the self same reasons.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Oct '14 14:22
    Not eventually. Now.

Christ.
    Christ!
    Christ !!
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    10 Oct '14 16:08
    Not eventually. Now.

Calm and contentment, inner peace and tranquility of 'soul', all without any recourse to or reliance on mythical beings.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Oct '14 20:19
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Calm and contentment, inner peace and tranquility of 'soul', all without any recourse to or reliance on mythical beings.
    You inform us -

I play chess for fun, but I do generally find it to be more fun if I don't lose.

Doesn't your calm and contentment and inner peace and tranquility of soul render losing this "game", even a somewhat mythically based game, completely not important ?

Does calm tranquility of soul leave you when the other guy checkmates you ? Its just a game.
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    10 Oct '14 23:53
    Originally posted by sonship
    You inform us -

I play chess for fun, but I do generally find it to be more fun if I don't lose.

Doesn't your calm and contentment and inner peace and tranquility of soul render losing this "game", even a somewhat mythically based game, completely not important ?

Does calm tranquility of soul leave you when the other guy checkmates you ? Its just a game.
    Nope, I'm absolutely fine losing a game of chess, doesn't bother me in the slightest. Doesn't ruffle my tranquility even a smidgeon. Does that make the game unimportant? In a way, I suppose it does, but I still enjoy playing. I am amused that you imagine me losing my cool over a game of chess.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 00:34
    Not eventually. Now.

"I got the music in me !! "
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 05:53
    Not eventually. Now.

I got my peeps.
  10. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 07:39
    Not eventually. Now.

This is actually a very profound question, because NOW is all we've got, and ever will get.

Many books have been written about it, most popular hof which probably Ekhardt Tolle' "The Power of Now", and Richard Rohr "The Naked Now".

That is my current journey, trying to practice that - to absolutely LIVE in each moment, to fully SENSE my current emotion, even at a Checkmate!

My growth is incremental, but measurable....

Would be nice if somebody would pick up this topic and engage meaningfully, without cliches.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 07:531 edit
    Not eventually. Now.

An abiding inner peace and tranquility, the remembrance of past lives completed, and the conviction that if I get it right this time round, I won't have to come back to complete anything else.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 17:491 edit
    Originally posted by CalJust
    This is actually a very profound question, because NOW is all we've got, and ever will get.

Many books have been written about it, most popular hof which probably Ekhardt Tolle' "The Power of Now", and Richard Rohr "The Naked Now".

That is my current journey, trying to practice that - to absolutely LIVE in each moment, to fully SENSE my current emotion ...[text shortened]...

Would be nice if somebody would pick up this topic and engage meaningfully, without cliches.
    "This one...a long time have I watched. All his life, as he - looked away - to the future, to the horizon; Never his mind on where he was - What he was doing". -Yoda

Lately I have caught myself doing just this a lot. Too often. So obsessed with what may come that I forget to immerse myself in the moment. I wonder how many enriching experiences have passed me by because of this obsession with the future.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 19:301 edit
    Not eventually. Now.

BDP, I've also a compassion for all family members, offline and online friends who are concerned with their eternal destinies.
  14. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    13 Oct '14 05:25
    "This one...a long time have I watched. All his life, as he - looked away - to the future, to the horizon; Never his mind on where he was - What he was doing". -Yoda

Lately I have caught myself doing just this a lot. Too often. So obsessed with what may come that I forget to immerse myself in the moment. I wonder how many enriching experiences have passed me by because of this obsession with the future.
    Is is possible that the lesson of the burning bush...ie, "God" identifying as I AM was a lesson to Moses that what was most expedient at the time was exactly right in front of him in "real" time?

I get that same impression when I read the account of Jesus telling Martha that "one thing is needful" (as opposed to multi-tasking to get everything all done)...focus...essentially on the breath in the here and now...simple awareness in the moment, which paradoxically is how one gets from "here to there."

Peace!
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 15:46
    Originally posted by hakima
    Is is possible that the lesson of the burning bush...ie, "God" identifying as I AM was a lesson to Moses that what was most expedient at the time was exactly right in front of him in "real" time?

I get that same impression when I read the account of Jesus telling Martha that "one thing is needful" (as opposed to multi-tasking to get everything all done)... ...[text shortened]... ple awareness in the moment, which paradoxically is how one gets from "here to there."

Peace!
    Yes - sort of a Zen thing, perhaps?

"To get where you want to go, forget about where you want to go, and focus on taking a step instead."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree