1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 17:433 edits
    why are there men and ladies tournaments? it cannot be said that gender is in anyway an advantage or disadvantage during a chess game? It seems strange to me that there should be gender based tournaments.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 18:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    why are there men and ladies tournaments? it cannot be said that gender is in anyway an advantage or disadvantage during a chess game? It seems strange to me that there should be gender based tournaments.
    This probably belongs to the "Debates" forum.

Gender Mainstreaming is just humbug.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 19:031 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    This probably belongs to the "Debates" forum.

Gender Mainstreaming is just humbug.
    you think? its not left or right, or political, its just based on an observation. Ok ill ask them and see what they say.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 21:58
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The main reason for women's tourneys seems to be that they can play some chess without being gawked at all day long by nerdy guys. 😛
  5. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    13 Oct '14 03:461 edit
    I think the Big Dog has hit the nail on the head. My daughter plays and it can be a very unpleasant experience for her in the 90% male environment. Aside from the fact that boys are just gross between the ages of eight and fourteen (no concept of personal hygiene, toilet humor, chewing on chess pieces, etc.), beyond that they become leches, or at least a few of them feel free to act that way in a predominantly male environment. It's not the nerds, it's the jerks. A local coach here runs all girls tournaments because many of his female students simply don't like going to open tournaments.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '14 07:56
    ok the reason is to encourage more girls to take up chess or at least have a pleasant experience, I understand this now, i was just wondering because these considerations aside, there should be no reason to have them because gender it appears to me cannot be considered an advantage or disadvantage.
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    13 Oct '14 10:361 edit
    I think it is valid to question for sure. But the way i see it, Women get a pretty good deal out of it. They are free to enter male tournaments, but they also have well funded competitions. I believe it is done so as to encourage female professionals. The top woman players are mostly around 2500. That is a competitive environment to make a living if you compete for prize money with 26-2700 male competitors all the time. Things like the Womens Grand Prix series are great competitions in my view, without them we might not have some of these great players like Hou Yifan or Anna Ushenina (who i really admire, love her style!)
  8. e4
    Moves
    13 Oct '14 12:28
    I think I can see where Robbie is coming from.

You sometimes see a girl winning a title (e.g female u-12 champion) because
    she came 50th in a tournament but happened to be the highest placed
    u-12 female player. In some cases the lass wins the title because she is
    the only female player.

I know from experience that men and women can play Chess equally well.
    Sex makes no difference at all in the ability to play the game.

Should gender titles, including the Women's World Championship and
    Woman's Olympiads be scrapped?
  9. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    13 Oct '14 18:35
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I think I can see where Robbie is coming from.

You sometimes see a girl winning a title (e.g female u-12 champion) because
    she came 50th in a tournament but happened to be the highest placed
    u-12 female player. In some cases the lass wins the title because she is
    the only female player.

I know from experience that men and women can play Chess ...[text shortened]... ould gender titles, including the Women's World Championship and
    Woman's Olympiads be scrapped?
    Until there is gender equality in pay, access and resources I think we need the gendered competitions and titles. Really until there is gender equality in society. Even if that extremely difficult to achieve moment arrives, I still think it will be fine to choose to play within a grouping by choice.
  10. Joined
    03 Jun '03
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 06:14
    It's one thing to claim complete equality as experience or wish, it's another thing to prove all the neurological differences in wiring are all caused by nurture or by nature. And such difference might not even be the cause of any diminished capacity but one of diminished interest or inclination. The question remains if that's something to be "corrected" for or not. And perhaps this interest in high-level chess games would be the odd one out, not any demonstrated lack of interest? In male-dominated reasoning it would of course be seen as "short-coming", this lack of female participation. The question is if they themselves generally would feel that way. Personally I don't think so and I wonder if it should be held over them as some golden standard of things where blame needs to be passed to society for some perceived "imbalance".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree