Moves
    27 Oct '14 13:21
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v399/n6738/abs/399758a0.html
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Oct '14 18:28
    The article you posted to was "The electronic structure at the atomic scale of ultrathin gate oxides" which probably wasn't what you intended.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Oct '14 22:06
    http://phys.org/news/2014-10-universe-older.html
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 06:02
    "The yet unasked-unanswered question is where the observable universe is expanding. If the expanding universe has a mass and volume, whatever its shape is, it must be expanding into another medium," says Kilkis.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-10-universe-older.html#jCp

I am fairly sure that is not even close to being correct.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 08:121 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    "The yet unasked-unanswered question is where the observable universe is expanding. If the expanding universe has a mass and volume, whatever its shape is, it must be expanding into another medium," says Kilkis.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-10-universe-older.html#jCp

I am fairly sure that is not even close to being correct.
    This Kilkis obviously doesn't understand the simple concept of space expanding.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 09:35
    Originally posted by humy
    This Kilkis obviously doesn't understand the simple concept of space expanding.
    But if the multiverse concept is true, that would imply other dimensions and that would imply our universe is expanding with reference to itself but also in reference to other dimensions in which our universe exists. That may be what he means by expanding into another medium.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 09:542 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But if the multiverse concept is true, that would imply other dimensions and that would imply our universe is expanding with reference to itself but also in reference to other dimensions in which our universe exists. That may be what he means by expanding into another medium.
    But his quoted inference didn't state as part of its premise that there is multiverse or that there are other dimensions but rather his inference was:

"If the expanding universe has a mass and volume, whatever its shape is, it must be expanding into another medium,"

which is a false inference: it doesn't logically follow from the premise "If the expanding universe has a mass and volume" the conclusion "it must be expanding into another medium". You would need to add more premises before you can get to that conclusion.

Perhaps I am being pedantic, but I always prefer statements to be logically exactly correct.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 12:34
    But his quoted inference didn't state as part of its premise that there is multiverse or that there are other dimensions but rather his inference was:

"If the expanding universe has a mass and volume, whatever its shape is, it must be expanding into another medium,"

which is a false inference: it doesn't logically follow from the premise "If the expandi ...[text shortened]...

Perhaps I am being pedantic, but I always prefer statements to be logically exactly correct.
    I guess he was thinking of a balloon analogy, the balloon blows up when you pump air into it and it is expanding into something else, air or in outer space, just space itself.

I guess he is implying something about non space, It would seem there should be SOMETHING outside our universe, which seems to be a multidimensional bubble floating in something/
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 18:20

which is a false inference: it doesn't logically follow from the premise "If the expandi ...[text shortened]...

If a statement follows logically from the premises it's a deduction, not an inference. Inferences don't require a complete set of premises. The statement doesn't follow because the "expansion" is in the distance rule on the manifold and it doesn't have to have any repercussions outside it. I got the impression from the article that he's using finite temperature field theory, where time is replaced by temperature. So the stuff about the universe expanding into a colder region is another way of saying that the universe expands as time increases. That leaves me thinking that he's trying to explain the expansion of the universe in terms of the expansion of a hot thing surrounded by a cold region that it can expand into. Since he's got time as inverse temperature that seems to be begging the question. I think the article's suffering from the problem that his theory's been garbled in the translation out of physics jargon.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 18:443 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    If a statement follows logically from the premises it's a deduction, not an inference. Inferences don't require a complete set of premises. The statement doesn't follow because the "expansion" is in the distance rule on the manifold and it doesn't have to have any repercussions outside it. I got the impression from the article that he's using finite t ...[text shortened]... fering from the problem that his theory's been garbled in the translation out of physics jargon.
    If a statement follows logically from the premises it's a deduction, not an inference.

I think that depends on your definition of inference and which type you are referring to. I got this from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inference

“...In this definition of inference, there are two types of inference: inductive inference and deductive inference. ..”

I was implicitly referring to deductive inference. Somehow, I doubt that the quote I criticized was meant to be an inductive inference, but, not sure. If it was inductive, I am not sure how that works.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 21:39
    If a statement follows logically from the premises it's a deduction, not an inference.

I think that depends on your definition of inference and which type you are referring to. I got this from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inference

“...In this definition of inference, there are two types of inference: inductive inference and deductive i ...[text shortened]... to be an inductive inference, but, not sure. If it was inductive, I am not sure how that works.
    According to utherpendragon, from the Debates Forum, Wikipedia is not considered a valid source for debates. He cites the following from Wikipedia itself:
    Wikipedia is not considered a credible source. Wikipedia is increasingly used by people in the academic community, from freshman students to professors, as an easily accessible tertiary source for information about anything and everything.

However, citation of Wikipedia in research papers may be considered unacceptable, because Wikipedia is not considered a credible or authoritative source This is especially true considering anyone can edit the information given at any time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_use
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 00:164 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    According to utherpendragon, from the Debates Forum, Wikipedia is not considered a valid source for debates. He cites the following from Wikipedia itself:
    [b]Wikipedia is not considered a credible source. Wikipedia is increasingly used by people in the academic community, from freshman students to professors, as an easily accessible tertiary so ...[text shortened]... formation given at any time[/b].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_use[/b]
    compared to you, Wikipedia is a valid source of info. But that says absolutely nothing about its absolute validity. That is because you are a total moron.

In this case, what Wikipedia said is correct; there is "deductive inference". See for example http://penta.ufrgs.br/edu/telelab/3/deductiv.htm and https://www.academia.edu/1649586/On_Deductive_Inference etc which are NOT from Wikipedia. That means what I said was quite correct as it is just standard logic. As usual, you don't add anything intelligent to the debate.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 07:37
    According to utherpendragon, from the Debates Forum, Wikipedia is not considered a valid source for debates.
    But utherpendragon from the Debates Forum is a valid source? Ouch.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '14 16:07
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But utherpendragon from the Debates Forum [b]is a valid source? Ouch.[/b]
    The point is that these forums on RHP are for opinons, so quoting Wikipedia or utherpendragon just provide other opinions that may or may not agree with our own opinion.
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 Oct '14 18:121 edit
    The point is that these forums on RHP are for opinons, so quoting Wikipedia or utherpendragon just provide other opinions that may or may not agree with our own opinion.
    correctly quoted scientific facts is not opinion

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree