1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 12:08
    Dear Ladies of RHP, I have this terrible problem... It has flummoxed me for years. Maybe some one of you can help. How do you get tomato sauce stains out of white or translucent plastic (such as rubber spatulas and TupperWare)? Running them through the just dishwasher doesn't do it.

(PS I already thought of buying only red spatulas and TupperWare. Couldn't find any.)
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 12:27
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Dear Ladies of RHP, I have this terrible problem... It has flummoxed me for years. Maybe some one of you can help. How do you get tomato sauce stains out of white or translucent plastic (such as rubber spatulas and TupperWare)? Running them through the just dishwasher doesn't do it.

(PS I already thought of buying only red spatulas and TupperWare. Couldn't find any.)
    Alerted for blatant sexism.

*stands back so as not to get trampled by Suzianne.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 12:46

Good question, we wait or their response.

Did you burn yourself? They (the ladies) told me once that tomato sauce is good at healing burns, I still have a scar from a hot oil burn so the jury is out on that one. I wasn't as messy as you so no need for the stain tips this time.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 12:553 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Alerted for blatant sexism.

*stands back so as not to get trampled by Suzianne.
    Well, I confess to blatant incompetence in the kitchen.... If that is sexist, so be it.

* "Go put on your cleats and come and trample me..."

--Tom Lehrer, The Masochism Tango

EDIT: of course, if some Prince Albert kitchen-chemist has a solution, I will happily try it out.
  5. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 21:20
    I know how to end this thread.

Try soaking in bleach...I've read somewhere it's good in getting out stains. Probably would be a good idea to dilute the bleach with clean water to some degree. Try soaking in a 50/50 solution. Article was authored by a lady I'm thinking because what real man would be bothered by a dirty red plastic spoon or bowl when hungry.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Oct '14 22:44
    "Article was authored by a lady I'm thinking because what real man would be bothered by a dirty red plastic spoon or bowl when hungry."

Unless it was his wife who was bothered by the stains but who couldn't be bothered enough to tell him how to get them out.

I'll give bleach a try.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 01:42

Lots of luck. I've seen stained utensils like rubber spatulas used for BBQ sauce that won't even bleach out. 😞
  8. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 01:54
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Lots of luck. I've seen stained utensils like rubber spatulas used for BBQ sauce that won't even bleach out. 😞
    i like bamboo...
    it stains like a sunny beach...
    i don't know if silicone will...
  9. old pueblo
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 02:29
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    I know how to end this thread.

Try soaking in bleach...I've read somewhere it's good in getting out stains. Probably would be a good idea to dilute the bleach with clean water to some degree. Try soaking in a 50/50 solution. Article was authored by a lady I'm thinking because what real man would be bothered by a dirty red plastic spoon or bowl when hungry.
    Be VERY VERY careful! If you are using bleach, you CANNOT use dish soap. Some dish soaps can set off a chemical reaction with the bleach and have a very negative impact on your ability to breathe. Breathing is fun.

Either dedicate certain tupperware-type things to the sauce, ignore the stains, or throw the containers out. I've never found a different solution.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 11:20
    I once read that regular vinegar can (dis)solve pretty much any problem that anyone could ever have.

For instance, if you have those gross fungi growing on your toes making them yellow and brittle and stuff, vinegar will take care of that puppy in a heartbeat.

Pretty sure it can kick tomato sauce’s ass also.
  11. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 12:00
    Try sandpaper when all else fails.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 12:18
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Try sandpaper when all else fails.
    Belt sander or rotary?
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 12:271 edit
    Hi guys, thanks for all the tips.

DIY Kitchen Chemistry 101 progress report, things which did not work:

1. bleach wi--cough,sneeze,wheeze--th washing u--snort,hack,cough--p liquid wheeze. Didn't breathing used to be fun?

2. Lemon-sented toilet bowl cleaner.

3. Windex.

4a. Draino.

4b. Draino and Windex together.

5. WD-40.

I'm off to the store to get some clear vinegar. Anybody for white gas? Ether?
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 14:59
    Hi guys, thanks for all the tips.

DIY Kitchen Chemistry 101 progress report, things which did not work:

1. bleach wi--cough,sneeze,wheeze--th washing u--snort,hack,cough--p liquid wheeze. Didn't breathing used to be fun?

2. Lemon-sented toilet bowl cleaner.

3. Windex.

4a. Draino.

4b. Draino and Windex together.

5. WD-40.

I'm off to the store to get some clear vinegar. Anybody for white gas? Ether?
    And you are going to still use these spatulas and TupperWare containers for preparing and storing of food afterwards?

Also, I feel like such a dainty little lady currently... loving it.
  15. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 15:17
    Belt sander or rotary?
    Rotary I think.

Other options I just thought of are sandblasting, paint stripper, or maybe muratic acid.

How about acetone? Just sniff it for a while and you won't care about the stains anymore!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree