1. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 20:50
    This is mine, from 2006: an object lesson in how not to play against the Leningrad Dutch. Even taking into account the vastly superior ability of my opponent and my passive dithering, this is easily the worst beating I have ever taken in a game of chess. In fact, if you feed my moves from the 8th onwards into Fritz, it responds with a long pause followed by distasteful audible laughter.

2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 Nov '14 23:57
    As black in the Dutch I find English type systems harder to handle than lines after the queen's pawn has got to d4. Basically because one sees them so much less frequently. Unless you don't like the positions with the queen's pawn on d3 then I'd suggest playing them instead.
  3. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 01:13
    My most crushing defeat was when I was foolish enough to play Weyerstrass in a clan game. I knew that we was an engine user but I played anyway. I should have just resigned after two moves to show that I knew he was a cheat.
    Game 3690130
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 01:17
    I have so many, it's impossible to choose just one. 😞

This one stung. I was way too ambitious and greedy. 🙁
    Hats off to BDP. He really handed it to me. 😛

[Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.timeforchess.com"]
    [Date "2014.10.04"]
    [EndDate "2014.10.11"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "BigDoggProblem"]
    [Black "ChessPraxis"]
    [WhiteRating "1698"]
    [BlackRating "1819"]
    [WhiteElo "1698"]
    [BlackElo "1819"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [GameId "10839876"]

1-0
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 03:16
    This one sticks in my mind. I know burningbush in real life and he insists on concentrating more on his games against me than on games against other people so he has a lower rating but beats me more often than I beat him 😠
  6. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 08:598 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    As black in the Dutch I find English type systems harder to handle than lines after the queen's pawn has got to d4. Basically because one sees them so much less frequently. Unless you don't like the positions with the queen's pawn on d3 then I'd suggest playing them instead.
    Thanks, I'll take that on board next time I see it, it's unfortunately not an opening that I've encountered more than once in a blue moon here.

At the time I played the English less often but without the fianchetto that is now bog-standard against the LD, and I was completely clueless about the importance of not allowing Black to play e5 - which of course is what I duly handed to him here, wrapped in pink ribbon and silvery paper, along with my embarrassment.

I should also mention that Bedlam, the same player, also memorably reduced me to steaming rubble in a Reti Gambit set-up which, once again, is an object lesson, this timeall that when presented with the RG, you should ideally accept the gambit and the consequences that follow, rather than declining it with puny blocking manoeuvres succeeded by suicidal knight blunders:

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree