1. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 00:52
    What are they?

I would imagine #1 is without a doubt My 60 Memorable. Another good one that comes to mind is Bobby Fischer – The Career and Complete Games of the American World Chess Champion by Karsten Müller. Also, I've heard very good things about Ellie Agur's Bobby Fischer: His Approach to Chess. Another common book is Profile of a Prodigy but I'm not sure how good it really is. I've read in some places that it tries to give an image of Bobby that it just isn't true.

These are a few of the titles that come to mind but I'm not certain if they would make the top 5. My criteria for a good book is the games selection, the quality of the annotations, big number of games, etc.

So tell me what's your personal top 5 for Fischer books (written by him or another master)?
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 05:54
    I have read How Fischer Plays Chess by Levy and Bobby Fischer Rediscovered by Soltis, and thought they were both excellent.

Soltis's book is an easier read. My copy of Levy's book is an old hardcover in English descriptive, and is a great candidate to be redone in algebraic.
  3. e4
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 12:21
    last time I looked Bobby Fischer Rediscovered by Soltis was on E-Bay for 99p.

Excellent book. Excellent bargain.
  4. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 16:131 edit
    Almost a fiver now (including postage):
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHESS-BOOK-BOBBY-FISCHER-REDISCOVERED-/271664702420

My 60 Memorable Games can be had for under £3:
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/My-60-Memorable-Games-Bobby-Fischer-Paperback-Book-/141474903583
  5. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 17:29
    Probably not what you had in mind but 'Endgame' by Frank Brady
    is a superb biography of Fisher.
    Fascinating and ultimately very sad.
  6. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 21:361 edit
    I think space should be made for the old Batsford (1972 originally) collection "The Games of Robert J Fischer", edited by Bob Wade. It was in descriptive notation, but included all the tournament games (an impressive feat of compilation for those days) with a good selection of notes from a variety of sources, and some interesting essays.
    The Agur book is highly recommended too.

On Fischer's personality, I don't know if the definitive book has been written.
  7. e4
    Moves
    18 Nov '14 01:03
    Hi Data,

I think that may be the same bidding jhas started - got my copy years
    ago it's realy good.

The Frank Brady book - see this thread and the next thread from chessgames.com

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=19233&kpage=1953#reply51257

look for a post by a lad called Focus:

Mistakes, Omissions and Errors in <Endgame> as I see them.

It's in 4 parts all appear to highlighting errors in this book.
  8. Joined
    11 Aug '14
    Moves
    18 Nov '14 13:31
    He was certainly a different class to those around him at Orient

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTMwOVgxNjAw/$(KGrHqVHJBkFBR0-nyn2BQYYz55eEg~~60_57.JPG
  9. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    18 Nov '14 16:00
    Originally posted by PacMan
    He was certainly a different class to those around him at Orient

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTMwOVgxNjAw/$(KGrHqVHJBkFBR0-nyn2BQYYz55eEg~~60_57.JPG
    I played some blitz chess against a Leyton Orient player back in 1990:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Fashanu
    He wasn't very good.
  10. Joined
    11 Aug '14
    Moves
    18 Nov '14 16:121 edit
    Do you know he killed himself.

On second thoughts, as you've linked to his wikipedia page I guess it must be on there.

What pricks human beings can be eh? Bullying others for a reason so ridiculous.

And having read the wikipedia page I can see I've gone off half cock again. I assumed it was the bullying and taunting for his sexuality that had led to his suicide.
  11. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 15:44
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Data,

I think that may be the same bidding jhas started - got my copy years
    ago it's realy good.

The Frank Brady book - see this thread and the next thread from chessgames.com

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=19233&kpage=1953#reply51257

look for a post by a lad called Focus:

Mistakes, Omissions and Errors in <Endgame> as I see them.

It's in 4 parts all appear to highlighting errors in this book.
    Thanks GP.

That's guys knowledge of Fisher is incredible.
  12. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 16:01
    Originally posted by PacMan
    Do you know he killed himself.
    When I met him he hadn't come out as gay (that was a few months later), and there were about 5 or 6 few beautiful women with him (not talking among themselves!). They all looked very unimpressed when he sat down at the scruffy chess players' table for a chat and a few games rather than give them some attention. I didn't follow football much (and still don't), but I knew his name from the sports pages and assumed that his career was on the slide if he was now playing for Leyton Orient.

At first I was quite jealous of him as he was tall, athletic, handsome, very personable and had a host of beauties following him around, but once I realised that I was a much better chess player than him I felt we were about equal on the gifts from god front.
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    25 Nov '14 01:25
    Top 5 Fischer

My 60 Memorable
    The Career and Complete Games of the American World Chess Champion by Karsten Müller
    How Fischer Plays Chess by Levy
    Garry Kasparov on Fischer My Great Predecessors, Part IV by G. Kasparov (London, 2004)
    The Games of Robert J Fischer", edited by Bob Wade

Surprisingly nobody's mentioned Kasparov's book on Fischer. I'm pretty sure most of you own and have read it. What does he talk about in the book. Is it a must have in your personal chess library? By the way, it came out in 2004 and Bobby must have read it. What did he think about the book Gary wrote on him? I haven't read it myself but I will assume it's good.

So that's the top 5 Fischer books. What do you think? Does that represent a thorough collection of knowledge to have in your personal library or should we make it a Top 7-10 in order to make it more complete?

P.S. Bobby was one of those gifted endgame player (as Capablanca and Karpov), wasn't he? As far as you know, is there a book that focuses on this aspect of Fischer's game?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree