1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 18:28
    Well, it's easy if you spot the trick. Suppose a set S has a product which is anti-commutative. So a*b = -b*a, show that it is not associative. You can assume that there is at least one product where a*b != a*c (!= means not equal to).
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 21:075 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 21:25
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Not every set has a defined product, but the OP states that there is a product defined in the set. He assumes you know what 'product' means in this instance. He has not said that the set in question is a group under any given operation, and I assume it is not a requirement of the problem.

If you want to talk about a 'product', then you must define an operation upon elements of the set.
    Yes, that is what he did.
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 21:321 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Well, it's easy if you spot the trick. Suppose a set S has a product which is anti-commutative. So a*b = -b*a, show that it is not associative. You can assume that there is at least one product where a*b != a*c (!= means not equal to).
    Edited
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 21:362 edits

6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 21:55
    This is a chess site.

And I don't think the fun question is being submitted for a finals paper.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 22:042 edits

8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 22:072 edits
    A group is necessarily associative, so that is why DeepThought doesn't give that the set is a group.

EDIT: While I have not given any thought to DeepThought's riddle, there is a fair chance his solution runs on the assumption that the set S is "closed" under the product. That is, if a,b ∈ S, then a*b ∈ S.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 22:155 edits

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 22:58

11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 23:18
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    A group is necessarily associative, so that is why DeepThought doesn't give that the set is a group.

EDIT: While I have not given any thought to DeepThought's riddle, there is a fair chance his solution runs on the assumption that the set S is "closed" under the product. That is, if a,b ∈ S, then a*b ∈ S.
    I think technically it's a module since I've implicitly got addition defined (otherwise -a*b doesn't make sense). I didn't want to give any more information in the question than was necessary. The stuff about at least one case where a*b != a*c was to rule out a trivial case (where a*b = 0 for all elements in the set, when it is trivially associative).

Yes I think I'd better make it closed under the operation (as I'm not certain of the effects of not doing that, and certainly the specific example I generalised from has that property) - although I don't think that that is necessary for the answer.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 23:465 edits
    Drat, didn't think it through enough I need to add two extra conditions. It's best if I restate the problem:

Let S be a set which is closed under the product * and has the following properties:

Anti-commutivity a*b = -b*a
    If a and b are different elements then a*b != 0
    a*b != a and a*b !=b for all a and b.

Show that S is not associative under '*'

Sorry, I tried to abstract away from a specific example and worried about trivial cases instead of whether I'd given enough information. The extra two conditions may overspecify it, but I wanted to make it different to the specific case I based it on to prevent people just looking the answer up on Wikipedia.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '14 00:241 edit

14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 Dec '14 00:30
    It's a module under addition and multiplication by a scalar, with a product operation which is anti-commutative. In the restated problem - I didn't give enough information - I'm not relying on the multiplication by a scalar so it need only be an abelian group under addition.

The problem is now easy, where before hand it's probably not possible.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '14 00:36

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree