1. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 22:35
    If you stand near the equator , you are actually moving 1040 mph. At he exact SAME moment, you are also orbiting the sun at 64,360 miles per hour. Our solar system is orbiting the center of the Milky Way at 1.34 Million miles per hour. To me it's really weird to be traveling at different speeds at the exact same moment.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 22:57
    Originally posted by woadman
    If you stand near the equator , you are actually moving 1040 mph. At he exact SAME moment, you are also orbiting the sun at 64,360 miles per hour. Our solar system is orbiting the center of the Milky Way at 1.34 Million miles per hour. To me it's really weird to be traveling at different speeds at the exact same moment.
    Don't forget, the whole galaxy is moving pretty fast in some direction also. Don't know which way it's going but it is due to collide with Andromeda galaxy in a couple billion years. Don't suppose mankind will be around to see it but it will be pretty awesome in a slow kind of way.
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 23:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Don't forget, the whole galaxy is moving pretty fast in some direction also. Don't know which way it's going but it is due to collide with Andromeda galaxy in a couple billion years. Don't suppose mankind will be around to see it but it will be pretty awesome in a slow kind of way.
    Soothfast's Conjecture:

"Everything's going to hell in a handbasket at precisely 0.98306c"
  4. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 23:26
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Soothfast's Conjecture:

Yes, that must be the direction we're heading. LOL Anyway, since we are traveling a different speeds, what is the FASTEST we are going right now ?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 01:201 edit
    Yes, that must be the direction we're heading. LOL Anyway, since we are traveling a different speeds, what is the FASTEST we are going right now ?
    Its all relative to a frame of reference. I have zero velocity with respect to my house. So in order to calculate your absolute velocity you need to be sure that the frame of reference is outside of everything, where is that?

The earth rotates, orbits the sun,sun orbits galactic center, galactic center has a velocity, universe velocity relative to something, something velocity relative to something else etc...

Your absolute velocity is the vector addition of all the individual components of your relative velocities at any instant in time.
  6. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 02:30
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    [b]Its all relative to a frame of reference. I have zero velocity with respect to my house. So in order to calculate your absolute velocity you need to be sure that the frame of reference is outside of everything, where is that?
    It is commonly believed that all galaxies are moving away from each other..because the empty space between them is expanding. (Dark energy) So are we moving away from other galaxies FASTER than the speed of light? Einstein said that was a no-no.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 02:31
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Its all relative to a frame of reference. I have zero velocity with respect to my house. So in order to calculate your absolute velocity you need to be sure that the frame of reference is outside of everything, where is that?

The earth rotates, orbits the sun,sun orbits galactic center, galactic center has a velocity, universe velocity relative to some ...[text shortened]... or addition of all the individual components of your relative velocities at any instant in time.
    The cosmic microwave background is as close as we have to an absolute frame of reference, we are moving relative to it at 371km/s.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 06:47
    To me it's really weird to be traveling at different speeds at the exact same moment.
    I don't have that problem because I am the centre of the universe and am stationary. It is all those other things that are moving.
  9. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 07:06
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Soothfast's Conjecture:

Really?! Do you expect any of us to believe that?! In a handbasket? I see no handbasket around me Mr!!!
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 10:59
    It is commonly believed that all galaxies are moving away from each other..because the empty space between them is expanding. (Dark energy) So are we moving away from other galaxies FASTER than the speed of light? Einstein said that was a no-no.
    Not all galaxies are moving apart. Andromeda and the Milky Way are on a collision course, due to start colliding in about 2 billion years or so.
    But the thing about the speed of light, space itself does not have to obey that limit. That limit is only for matter being accelerated by some force, it does not get to the speed of light, instead starts warping time and space in a way that foreshortens the object moving close to c and time slows down in its own frame of reference.

If we can get spacecraft going at .99c we can effectively (at least for the travelers) go faster than c. That is to say, you might think you are going say 7 times the speed of light and a trip say 70 light years would only take ten years of ship time and the people inside would age only ten years. So if they do that exact trip, going out 70 light years, say spending 10 years on the planet orbiting the target star, when they get back to Earth, they will have aged 30 years but 150 years will be seen to have gone by on Earth.

So Earth men see the trip as not going faster than the speed of light but the people on board will have traveled in time to a future 120 years later than they otherwise would have seen.
  11. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 14:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse

So Earth men see the trip as not going faster than the speed of light but the people on board will have traveled in time to a future 120 years later than they otherwise would have seen.
    In the movie Interstellar, time references were part of the plot...as the space travellers didnt want very many years to pass (on Earth). They were hoping to see their families again.
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 21:02
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Really?! Do you expect any of us to believe that?! In a handbasket? I see no handbasket around me Mr!!!
    I can't "see" space or time, but they surely exist. Maybe I can flip a shiny nickel at some unemployed philosopher sometime to get him to chant some mumbo-jumbo about gestalt schadenfreude weltanschauungs in a decaffeinated leitmotif to convince you of the handbasket.
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 21:05
    Get in line behind Shavixmir, who is still worried about how a dropped glass ever reaches the floor. 😉
  14. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 17:22
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The cosmic microwave background is as close as we have to an absolute frame of reference, we are moving relative to it at 371km/s.
    If we live in a "Multi" Verse then we need to establish our speed in reference to other universes... it can get mind-boggling.
  15. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 23:44
    If we live in a "Multi" Verse then we need to establish our speed in reference to other universes... it can get mind-boggling.
    If we live in a multiverse, then we still cannot interact with any other universe than our own. Without interaction, arguably we do not live in a multiverse. We live only in our own universe.

A lot depends of course on which type of multiverse you refer to here.
    Summary of Various Versions of Parallel Universes
    1. Quilted Multiverse: Conditions in an infinite universe necessarily repeat across space, yielding parallel worlds.
    2. Inflationary Multiverse: Eternal cosmological inflation yields an enormous network of bubble universes, of which our universe would be one.
    3. Brane Multiverse: In string/M-theory's braneworld scenario, our universe exists on one three-dimensional brane, which floats in a higher-dimensional expanse potentially populated by other branes - other parallel universes.
    4. Cyclic Multiverse: Collisions between braneworlds can manifest as big bang-like beginnings, yielding universes that are parallel in time.
    5. Landscape Multiverse: By combing inflationary cosmology and string theory, the many different shapes for string theory's extra dimensions give rise to many different bubble universes.
    6. Quantum Multiverse: Quantum mechanics suggests that every possibility embodied in its probability waves is realized in one of a vast ensemble of parallel universes.
    7. Holographic Multiverse: The holographic principle asserts that our universe is exactly mirrored by phenomena taking place on a distant bounding surface, a physically equivalent parallel universe.
    8. Simulated Multiverse: Technological leaps suggest that simulated universes may one day be possible.
    9. Ultimate Multiverse: The principle of fecundity asserts that every possible universe is a real universe, thereby obviating the question of why one possibility - ours - is special. These universes instantiate all possible mathematical equations.
    https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/223950966?book_show_action=true&page=1

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree