1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 16:20
    Sin

Irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues, what personal behaviors do you regard as "sin"?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 16:32
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Sin

Irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues, what personal behaviors do you regard as "sin"?[/b]
    James 4:17

If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 23:22
    Irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues, what personal behaviors do you regard as "sin"?
    Presumably, as a Christian, you define "sin" as acts that violate your God figure's will so I would have thought the personal behaviors you regard as "sin" are laid out in your religious literature, irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues. For me, I regard none of my personal behaviors as "sin", and the same would be said by many members of this community respective of their position on spirituality topics and issues.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 23:531 edit
    [b]Sin

Irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues, what personal behaviors do you regard as "sin"?[/b]
    I know that I have sin because my life's experience is exactly like Paul's in Romans 7.

Verse 15 - "For what I work out, I do not ackowledge; for what I will, this I do not practice; but what I hate, this I do."

To one degree or another I do the things I hate (when apart from the Holy Spirit) and what I approve of morally I seem not to have to power to do.

Verse 16,17 - "But if what I do not will, this I do, I agree with the law that it is good. Now then it is no longer I that work it out but sin that dwells in me."

I do sense a "force" compelling me to act against the morality that I delight in and know to be good. This force is the power of sin in me.
    Without the Holy Spirit's counter power, there is no hope for me.

Verse 19 - " For I do not do the good which I will, but the evil which I do not will, this I practice."

Something drags me down (when apart from abiding in Christ). The mind agrees with the righteous behavior but another power within drags me down towards evil doing.

Verse 20 - 24 - "But if what I do not will, this I do, it is no longer I that work it out but sin that dwells in me.

I find then the law with me who wills to do the good, that is, the evil is present with me.

For I delight in the law of God according to the inner man,

But I see a different law in my members, warring against the law of my mind and making me a captive to the law of sin which is in my members.

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from the body of this death?

Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh, the law of sin."

I know a force works in my body dragging me down in some area or another against my mental agreement with right living according to God's law.

I know that the law of sin is more powerful than the law of my mind to agree with the goodness of God's law. A stronger law is needed to overcome the power of sin - "the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" (Rom. 8:2)
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 23:561 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Presumably, as a Christian, you define "sin" as acts that violate your God figure's will so I would have thought the personal behaviors you regard as "sin" are laid out in your religious literature, irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues. For me, I regard none of my personal behaviors as "sin", and the same would be said by many members of this community respective of their position on spirituality topics and issues.
    "For me, I regard none of my personal behaviors as "sin", and the same would be said by many members of this community respective of their position on spirituality topics and issues." ~FMF

How about the behaviors of other people around the world: Do you regard any of their behaviors as sin? If so, which ones?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 00:04
    Originally posted by sonship
    I know that I have sin because my life's experience is exactly like Paul's in Romans 7.

Verse 15 - "For what I work out, I do not ackowledge; for what I will, this I do not practice; but what I hate, this I do."

To one degree or another I do the things I hate (when apart from the Holy Spirit) and what I approve of morally I seem not to have t ...[text shortened]... o overcome the power of sin - [b]"the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" (Rom. 8:2)
    [/b]
    Any specific personal behaviors you categorically regard as "sin" regardless of who commits them?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 00:12
    How about the behaviors of other people around the world: Do you regard any of their behaviors as sin? If so, which ones?
    It's up to them. It's a notion that is bound up with their religious beliefs. If they believe an act of theirs is a "sin" then it's "sin" I suppose. I have met people who think it is a "sin" to masturbate, for example. If they reckon it's a "sin" then it's a "sin" in their minds, I'm sure.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 00:16
    An interesting on-topic sub-topic here would be if those in this community who believe in "sin" and believe that they commit "sins" were to talk about whether any of their personal behaviour in this forum constitutes "sin" or "sinful behaviour".
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 01:01
    [b]Sin

I do not recognize the concept of sin.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 01:57
    [b]Sin

[/b]
    I recognise the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse.
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 03:47
    Sin
    Squandering time.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 07:56
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I do not recognize the concept of sin.
    Would you "recognize the concept" by a different name?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 07:57
    Would you "recognize the concept" by a different name?
    It's "dosa" in Indonesian.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 14:57
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    Sin

"James 4:17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them."

"For me, I regard none of my personal behaviors as "sin..."

"I know that I have sin because my life's experience is exactly like Paul's in Romans 7."

"I have met people who think it is a "sin" to masturbate, for example."

"I do not recognize the concept of sin."

"I recognise the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse."

"Squandering time."

Any additional 'personal behaviors you regard as sin?'
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 17:49
    [b]Sin

The same as those I regard as Hask

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree