1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 18:182 edits
    "Why Christianity is NOT a Religion"

"The way to be right with God in every religion is by earning your way. It is based on works, not grace. Christianity is different from every religion in this aspect: all other religions (including Mormonism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism) state that you must earn the right to be reconciled with God. It is by what you do in this life (good deeds or bad deeds) that determines your eternal destiny. Christianity is completely different from this. It is not religion. My high school American Literature Teacher, Mr. Patton, (who wasn’t a Christian) described it this way:"

“The difference between Christianity and every other faith in the world is that all other religions are about man trying to reach up to God. Christianity is about God reaching down to man.”

"This is a very important distinction, and it is core to what I believe, so I would like to try to clarify what I mean. Here is the way I am defining religion:

Religion is a system of beliefs or a code of moral conduct that judges (qualifies or disqualifies) a person based on their adherence and obedience to certain codes, rules, laws, traditions, or the performance of required acts.

Religion (almost universally) is enforced by those in power in an attempt to maintain, increase, or abuse their power over others.

Religion is the creation of man and is not the intention or design of God. A modern day example (taken from the movie “Footloose”, starring Kevin Bacon) is a preacher who believes that dancing leads to promiscuity and destructive behavior (the Bible does not speak against dancing). He uses (abuses) his influence and his position of authority to convince his congregation that dancing is evil and forbids it. He sets up rules that are not in the Bible and adds additional beliefs that Jesus never endorsed. He is trying to control the people, using their trust of his authority to force them to believe his version of the truth. He adds rules that don’t exist in the Bible. In this example, he even has good motives, but he is still being religious and this “religion” is not from God.

This is so very common. People have used Jesus to justify adding so many “requirements” to being a Christian.
    Here are just a few of the countless examples:

• Not drinking alcohol • Not listening to certain types of music • Insisting that church meet on certain days • Only certain forms of music can be used in church • You can’t be saved unless you are circumcised • Reciting ritualistic prayers • Saying you aren’t saved unless you get baptized • You can’t eat certain foods • Requiring you to perform rituals • Being saved is conditional upon attending church or church membership • Saying that you have to earn your salvation by doing good deeds. I could go on and on. When Jesus was on the earth, religion was very rampant..." (to be continued)

http://philippians1v21.wordpress.com/why-believe-in-jesus/why-christianity-is-not-a-religion/

Author: "I am Scotsman in the tradition of my heritage: a warrior, a poet, a patriot, a scientist and engineer, a musician, a student of history, a defender of freedom, and a lover of Jesus Christ. I have been an Officer, a Captain in the US Air Force. I have served in Oman, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Kyrgyzstan. I have been a Flight Test Engineer and a Program Manager.
    I am a Boeing Engineer designing the next version of the 747 passenger and freighter aircraft. That is what I am on my own.

Jesus Christ has rescued my soul and through Him I am so much more. Those are now my disguises. What I really am is a bondservent of Jesus Christ. A missionary immersed in one of the most indifferent cultures towards Jesus Christ to ever exist. It is my endeavor to live for Christ and through Christ. For me to live is Christ. He is the focus, direction, and meaning in my life. Everything I do is in Him and through Him. I am his tool to create more and better followers of Jesus.

~ Te Deum Laudamus -Jake McWhirter" http://philippians1v21.wordpress.com/about/

Your Comments in Reply to the statements of this Scotsman who believes in Christ for his salvation and eternal life?
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 18:28
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    You can’t be saved unless you are circumcised
    Some of Paul's writings were on that topic.

But let's go back to the Old Testament on a somewhat similar topic.

"No one who is emasculated or has his male organ cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord."

You may recognize that as Deuteronomy 23:1.

My understanding is that candidates for Pope are checked "down there" to make sure they qualify for heaven.

What do you make of this, Bob?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 22:40
    "Why cows are not mammals"
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 00:21
    Christianity advocates a belief in a supernatural power that controls human destiny.

Christianity has members by virtue of their common subscription to a historical narrative with various human figures and episodes in it.

Christianity has specific beliefs and doctrines that are proclaimed as real and true without the necessity of proof that would satisfy non-members.

Christianity has its own, exclusive, designated 'holy' literature along with ceremonies and incantations etc., and the theology offers something in return for adherence.

Christianity is an organized and well documented effort on the part of groups of humans, and their constituent individuals, to try to gain the approbation of some perceived divine authority.

Christianity is most certainly a religion.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 01:40
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Why Christianity is NOT a Religion"

"The way to be right with God in every religion is by earning your way. It is based on works, not grace. Christianity is different from every religion in this aspect: all other religions (including Mormonism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism) state that you must [i]earn the right to be reconciled with ...[text shortened]... ly to the statements of this Scotsman who believes in Christ for his salvation and eternal life?[/b]
    Inspiring. Thanks Bob. As usual you made another significant contribution to this forum. The case for Christianity is clearly and saliently made denoting its superiority to all other faiths.

Indeed Christianity is not a "religion", but instead is a "faith" in God's reaching out to the one who by faith, and through faith, takes hold of the free gift of eternal life.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 01:46
    Originally posted by josephw
    The case for Christianity is clearly and saliently made denoting its superiority to all other faiths.
    So you believe the other religions are "faiths" too?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 01:59
    ...God's reaching out to the one who by faith, and through faith, takes hold of the free gift of eternal life.
    This is, in every possible sense and perspective, a religious belief
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 02:11
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II

"No one who is emasculated or has his male organ cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord."

You may recognize that as Deuteronomy 23:1.

My understanding is that candidates for Pope are checked "down there" to make sure they qualify for heaven.

What do you make of this, Bob?
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II

"You may recognize that as Deuteronomy 23:1."

Thanks for the question, Paul. I accept Jamieson's historical/biblical scholarship as the accurate explanation of these prohibitions during the Theocentric Dispensation of the Age of Israel [non-applicable in the current Church Age].

"The Fifth Book of Moses, Called Deuteronomy Commentary by Robert Jamieson Chapter 23
    Deu 23:1-25. Who May and Who May Not Enter Into The Congregation.

1-3. He that is wounded. . ., shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord--"To enter into the congregation of the Lord" means either admission to public honors and offices in the Church and State of Israel, or, in the case of foreigners, incorporation with that nation by marriage. The rule was that strangers and foreigners, for fear of friendship or marriage connections with them leading the people into idolatry, were not admissible till their conversion to the Jewish faith.

But this passage describes certain limitations of the general rule. The following parties were excluded from the full rights and privileges of citizenship: (1) Eunuchs--It was a very ancient practice for parents in the East by various arts to mutilate their children, with a view to training them for service in the houses of the great. (2) B-st-rds--Such an indelible stigma in both these instances was designed as a discouragement to practices that were disgraceful, but too common from intercourse with foreigners. (3) Ammonites and Moabites--Without provocation they had combined to engage a soothsayer to curse the Israelites; and had further endeavored, by ensnaring them into the guilt and licentious abominations of idolatry, to seduce them from their allegiance to God." https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/jfb/Deu/Deu_023.cfm?a=176001
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 02:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you believe the other religions are "faiths" too?
    Thanks for catching that one. Doesn't matter as long as you get the point. Christianity isn't a religion except where and when those that are religious act religiously as Christians.

You do understand what I'm saying don't you?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 02:34
    Thanks for catching that one. Doesn't matter as long as you get the point. Christianity isn't a religion except where and when those that are religious act religiously as Christians.

You do understand what I'm saying don't you?
    Of course I understand you. That is why I have rebutted what it is you are claiming. Do you have any comment on the four points I made in my first post on this thread?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 02:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is, in every possible sense and perspective, a religious belief
    Call it what you will FMF. Nobody can stop you.

It's not your faith. You don't believe in Christianity. Naturally you are going to post your objections to anything anyone of faith has to say about their faith in God's Christ.

And while you're at it you completely miss the point.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 02:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    Of course I understand you. That is why I have rebutted what it is you are claiming. Do you have any comment on the four points I made in my first post on this thread?
    No. I have no comment. Reread the OP and try to understand the main thrust of it, and make your thoughts known about the topic, then I'll gladly discuss that with you.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 02:47
    And while you're at it you completely miss the point.
    Do you have any response to the points I made in reply to the OP?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 02:48
    No. I have no comment. Reread the OP and try to understand the main thrust of it, and make your thoughts known about the topic, then I'll gladly discuss that with you.
    I made my thoughts known about the topic in my first post on this thread. You seem to be dodging the discussion.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 02:51
    Call it what you will FMF. Nobody can stop you.
    Christianity is a religion because...

1. it advocates a belief in a supernatural and divine authority
    2. it has a membership defined by a common narrative and efforts
    3. it has specific beliefs and doctrines not accepted by non-members.
    4. it has designated literature and a theology creating a moral code

You can take theistic religions like Islam and Judaism and replace "Christianity" with them above the list of four characteristics.

That you think the Christian religion is superior to other religions is irrelevant to this topic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree