1. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    27 Jan '15 15:26
    This looks like a disaster to me. If the U.S. Founding Fathers could rise from the grave, they would insert a separation of corporation and state in the Constitution right along with the separation of church and state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Jan '15 16:24
    Originally posted by Phranny
    This looks like a disaster to me. If the U.S. Founding Fathers could rise from the grave, they would insert a separation of corporation and state in the Constitution right along with the separation of church and state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership
    Well there is no separation of church and State only what is stated in the first amendment.

On the other hand these trade regulation treaties tend to all be on the premise that government can regulate better than free markets, a premise that is dubious at best.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '15 16:36
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Well there is no separation of church and State only what is stated in the first amendment.

On the other hand these trade regulation treaties tend to all be on the premise that government can regulate better than free markets, a premise that is dubious at best.
    The premise you suggest is not the premise I believe is being pursued in such matters. The premise that is being pursued is, "what's in this for me"? Where the "me's" are generally corporations and those running them, as well as their counterparts in government. There is some hope that the various entities are answerable to the public but in the current situation, it seems like a lot is going on behind closed doors.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Jan '15 16:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    The premise you suggest is not the premise I believe is being pursued in such matters. The premise that is being pursued is, "what's in this for me"? Where the "me's" are generally corporations and those running them, as well as their counterparts in government. There is some hope that the various entities are answerable to the public but in the current situation, it seems like a lot is going on behind closed doors.
    Of course "what's in it for me" is a consideration, as will always be the case when humans are involved. Corporations and governments represent human interests.

There is always less than transparency in these international deals. Markets are the most democratic and transparent mechanisms we have, but they can be twisted by both government and corporate interests as well. But to pretend that there has ever been no influence of one over or with the other is just silly.

The market is the only truly democratic method of regulating both government and business.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree