1. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 17:29
    Jehovah's Witnesses reject birthday celebrations because of their pagan origins. The Bible quotes pagan writers, 1 Corinthians 15:33 is from Menander(343-291B.C.), for example. Doesn't this indicate that the writers of the Bible saw at least some good in pagans?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 20:102 edits
    Originally posted by catstorm
    Jehovah's Witnesses reject birthday celebrations because of their pagan origins. The Bible quotes pagan writers, 1 Corinthians 15:33 is from Menander(343-291B.C.), for example. Doesn't this indicate that the writers of the Bible saw at least some good in pagans?
    Its not only because its a pagan origin, its also because every Birthday mentioned in scripture is portrayed in a negative way. Pharaoh kills one of his servants, a baker I think and Herod cuts off the head of John the Baptist both on Birthday celebrations. There are also other reasons but that of course is not the point of your text.

Paul cites other pagan references when its expedient to do so. For example he cites some of the pagan poets to the Athenians. For example Acts 17:28,

‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’[b] As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’[c] - Acts 17:28

[b] From the Cretan philosopher Epimenides
    [c]From the Cilician Stoic philosopher Aratus

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+17

Pagans may express Biblical truths unwittingly, for example the native Americans speak of 'the great spirit', which they perceive animates all living things. The Bible also terms God a 'spirit'.

So to answer your question, yes, they indeed have thought that there was some 'good', in pagan writings. The folly of the pagan from a Biblical perspective is that they worship the creation, rather than the creator.
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 20:34
    Thank you. I think that answers my question.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 21:10
    😀
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 21:59
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    😀
    Shortest Q&A with an actual A, of the year?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 22:491 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Shortest Q&A with an actual A, of the year?
    Yes although efficiency seems so protestant, like stainless steel minimal design. I prefer something more catholic, like chiaroscuro in artwork, candles and tapestry on the wall.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Feb '15 06:371 edit
    It is a big to do about nothing. The Watchtower Society and the Pharisees add more burdens to their members as Jesus points out in Matthew 23.

Thou shall not celebrate birthdays.
    Thou shall not accept blood transfusions.
    Etc., etc.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Feb '15 09:391 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is a big to do about nothing. The Watchtower Society and the Pharisees add more burdens to their members as Jesus points out in Matthew 23.

Thou shall not celebrate birthdays.
    Thou shall not accept blood transfusions.
    Etc., etc.
    Oh dear another rather poor attempt at trolling, how so thoroughly transparent and banal. No legendary troll status for a noob like you. Neeeext!
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '15 22:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Oh dear another rather poor attempt at trolling, how so thoroughly transparent and banal. No legendary troll status for a noob like you. Neeeext!
    Nope, for once he's right. If there's one "Christian" who is less Christian than Hindsey, it's a Jehovah.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 15:001 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Nope, for once he's right. If there's one "Christian" who is less Christian than Hindsey, it's a Jehovah.
    All of which just goes to prove to ME anyway, all these religions are just man made constructs. A real god, wanting to actually set up a religion, would not make things so that a few thousand years later or even a lot sooner, people of those religions are killing other people of other religions which is going on today as we speak.

A real god would not allow such atrocities to take place. A real god, one actually interested in human kind, would not allow such atrocities as 100 million people dying for religious and non-religious reasons, a decent percentage of the entire human race gone in the 20th century and you guys think NOW is the end days? I think it is well agreed century 20 was the worse century to come along since the beginning of time, yet you see no outcry from an outraged god. You see NOTHING.

Pretty good indication either A, there was no god involved here on Earth in the first place or B that god is one who doesn't give a crap about the fate of humans. 100 million dead proves that. If there were 5 BILLION dead, there would also be no response.

Of course all the duped ones will immediately come up with some bible laden 'proof' otherwise.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '15 08:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    All of which just goes to prove to ME anyway, all these religions are just man made constructs. A real god, wanting to actually set up a religion, would not make things so that a few thousand years later or even a lot sooner, people of those religions are killing other people of other religions which is going on today as we speak.

A real god would not a ...[text shortened]...
    Of course all the duped ones will immediately come up with some bible laden 'proof' otherwise.
    The human race chose independence from God, you yourself advocate it. It is not Gods fault that you have chose this path.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree