1. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 19:32
    I am fairly decent at tactics. I am mostly a beginner at endgames with knowledge of king and pawn endgames and some rook and pawn vs rook endgames.

In a tactics book i am looking more for a very organized and more advanced book.

Suggestions?
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 00:10
    Yasser Seirawan has a decent 'winning' series, such as "Winning Chess tactics" and "Winning Chess Strategies"

This is a good place to start, he discusses some intermediate-to-advanced level ideas, using top level games as examples.

I'm sure others here would point you towards other good directions.
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 05:24
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Yasser Seirawan has a decent 'winning' series, such as "Winning Chess tactics" and "Winning Chess Strategies"

This is a good place to start, he discusses some intermediate-to-advanced level ideas, using top level games as examples.

I'm sure others here would point you towards other good directions.
    I've read those. If i consider those to be easy material would that help you to suggest books more my level? Not that it means to much but im about 1650 on chess.com blitz so my tactics are fairly strong... what im more curious in is maybe a book with instructive games featuring tactics.

Endgames are what is really important for me right now. Ive come out on the wrong end of some games that i should have come out on the right end.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 09:27
    For endings: several binds of Yuri Averbach (I have it in Russian, but I think it was translated).
  5. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 17:371 edit
    I looked at some averbach endings books but they were a bit too advanced. I went with Silman's complete endgame course and when i graduate that i'll move onto the Endgame Manual.

But i still need a good tactics book. Is there a tactics book that helps assess which areas one is lacking?
  6. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 17:39
    Also im working through Pawn Structure Chess by Andy Soltis does anyone have any recommendations on exactly how i should go about studying that book? Is there anything that could be used to supplement it?
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 18:27
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    Also im working through Pawn Structure Chess by Andy Soltis does anyone have any recommendations on exactly how i should go about studying that book? Is there anything that could be used to supplement it?
    The Silman book is fine. Does the Soltis book cover IQP positions? It's difficult to find books that do anything much more than say that the player with the isolani should try to keep pieces on the board, that the rooks are nice on the two open files, and that the IQP should be pushed forward to open lines and enable attacking chances. A bit more than one paragraph and an annotated game would be nice.
  8. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 18:40
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The Silman book is fine. Does the Soltis book cover IQP positions? It's difficult to find books that do anything much more than say that the player with the isolani should try to keep pieces on the board, that the rooks are nice on the two open files, and that the IQP should be pushed forward to open lines and enable attacking chances. A bit more than one paragraph and an annotated game would be nice.
    It has about 10 pages for the isolani. I havent gotten that far yet so i cant tell you how much detail he goes into but so far im looking into other ways to study pawn structure as im not really finding this book very helpful.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 21:34
    "Understanding Pawn Play in Chess" by Drazen Marovic
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 02:52
    I just finished reading Chess Tactics from Scratch by IM Martin Weteschnik, and it is the best I have ever read on the subject. Here is a link at amazon.com:

http://smile.amazon.com/Chess-Tactics-Scratch-Understanding/dp/1907982027/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424573440&sr=1-1&keywords=chess+tactics+from+scratch
  11. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 05:41
    Try 1001 Brilliant Ways to Checkmate, by Fred Reinfeld. I've gone thru four copies already, as I wear them out carrying them around. An old book, but lots of fun & enjoyment.
  12. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 06:45
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I just finished reading Chess Tactics from Scratch by IM Martin Weteschnik, and it is the best I have ever read on the subject. Here is a link at amazon.com:

http://smile.amazon.com/Chess-Tactics-Scratch-Understanding/dp/1907982027/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424573440&sr=1-1&keywords=chess+tactics+from+scratch
    THANKS! This book is exactly what i am looking for!
  13. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 06:46
    Originally posted by woadman
    Try 1001 Brilliant Ways to Checkmate, by Fred Reinfeld. I've gone thru four copies already, as I wear them out carrying them around. An old book, but lots of fun & enjoyment.
    Thankyou i already have this book and memorized all the solutions just from solving them so many times. Great problem book but i was more looking for what paul legget posted above.
  14. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 19:55
    I am fairly decent at tactics. I am mostly a beginner at endgames with knowledge of king and pawn endgames and some rook and pawn vs rook endgames.

In a tactics book i am looking more for a very organized and more advanced book.

Suggestions?
    Go on the internet and type in Lecture with GM Varuzhan Akobian(endgame studies).
    Alongside the lecture it puts up are 50 more lectures you can view for free for all levels.There's really all sorts in there
    I'm currently up to lecture 22.
    It's a lot easier than messing about with books.
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 23:16
    I have been using chessocr app on my android mobile. You can use the camera on your phone to scan chess diagrams. It saves all the phaffing around with a board and pieces.. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree