1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 10:231 edit
    http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2011/09/20/what-is-a-red-letter-edition-of-the-bible/

While up in Canada on Monday, I saw a TV program where a book (written about “red letter” editions of the Bible) was being advertised that dealt with what was called the specific “words of Jesus” in the Bible. Many of you will be familiar with the “red letter” editions of the Bible, which are advertised to have the words of Jesus in red. I actually heard a person promoting this book saying the words that are red in the Bible are the words of Jesus; therefore, they need to be taken more seriously or with more emphasis than the other words in the Bible. I groaned when I heard this.

I really believe many people may have the wrong understanding of God’s Word if they think only those words in red in these editions are the words of Jesus.

For instance, consider the following passage:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. (John 1:1–5)

Jesus is the Word. We must understand that every word in the Bible from Genesis to Revelation is the word of God—the words of Jesus.

Sometimes I think because many people in the church consider the “red letter” words in the New Testament to be more important than any other words in the Bible, and that’s why many of them don’t think it matters much if the words of Genesis are reinterpreted to fit in millions of years and evolution.

We need to remember the following passage:

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16–17)

“All Scripture” means Genesis to Revelation.

A true “red letter” edition of the Bible would have every word from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21 in red!

When we have a correct understanding of God’s Word and that every word in the Bible is really the word of Jesus, it reminds us of how important it is to never compromise or change in any way the Word of God to fit in man’s fallible ideas.

Jesus is not just New Testament. Jesus is the Creator; He is God. “For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.” (Colossians 1:16)

One way to help remind people of this truth is to ask the question, “What is the first recorded miracle of Jesus in the Bible?” Many will answer that it was when Jesus turned the water into wine. However, the first recorded miracle of Jesus is in Genesis 1:1—the creation!

I once heard a Christian leader on television being asked, “’Does Jesus make any specific statements against ‘gay’ marriage?” The Christian leader said that he didn’t! However, when Jesus as the God-man in Matthew 19 was asked about marriage, He quoted from Genesis to teach that marriage was a man and female. Moreover, we should also understand that the words in Romans 1—where there is specific teaching about homosexual behavior—are the words of Jesus. The words in the Book of Leviticus are the words of Jesus.

I pray that everyone understands that every word in the Bible is the word of Jesus! His words may be giving details of a historic event, quoting an evil person, or teaching a specific doctrine, but they are all the words of Jesus.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for praying,

Ken Ham
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 11:08
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2011/09/20/what-is-a-red-letter-edition-of-the-bible/

While up in Canada on Monday, I saw a TV program where a book (written about “red letter” editions of the Bible) was being advertised that dealt with what was called the specific “words of Jesus” in the Bible. Many of you will be familiar with the “red let ...[text shortened]... ut they are all the words of Jesus.

Ken Ham
    I've met people who ignore the OT because there is a NT. People tend to
    do strange things from time to time.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 13:131 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    yeh, like not stoning little girls to death for not being virgins. strange.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 13:25
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I am yet to meet a Christian who doesn't ignore large parts of the Bible - yourself included.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 14:52
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

Could you give me your specifics on this? I'd like to examine it.

Chapters ? Passage please.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 15:41
    Originally posted by sonship

Why, do you need it highlighted in RED?

Do you seriously know so little of what is in the Bible that you have to ask Zahlanzi for chapter and verse?
  7. Germany
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 15:55

Now if Zahlanzi were somehow bluffing, and there is in fact no stoning to death of women for not being virgins in the Bible, this would be a smart post.

Since he is not bluffing, however, and anyone who has read the Bible knows that it calls for the stoning to death of women who are not virgins when they get married, it makes you look a little bit silly.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 16:50

puberty was vaguely referenced somewhere in ezekiel as the minimum age for marriage.

thus: a man marrying a little girl (let's be generous and have her be 14 years old) can accuse her (a little girl) of not being a virgin. It is then up for the parents of the accused, NOT THE ACCUSER, to provide proof.

we have discussed this in the past already. i vaguely remember your excuses but i know they were horrible. just as i am sure your excuses now will be equally so.

Deuteronomy.

22:13 Suppose a man marries a woman, has sexual relations with her, 25 and then rejects 26 her, 22:14 accusing her of impropriety 27 and defaming her reputation 28 by saying, “I married this woman but when I had sexual relations 29 with her I discovered she was not a virgin!” 22:15 Then the father and mother of the young woman must produce the evidence of virginity 30 for the elders of the city at the gate. 22:16 The young woman’s father must say to the elders, “I gave my daughter to this man and he has rejected 31 her. 22:17 Moreover, he has raised accusations of impropriety by saying, ‘I discovered your daughter was not a virgin,’ but this is the evidence of my daughter’s virginity!” The cloth must then be spread out 32 before the city’s elders. 22:18 The elders of that city must then seize the man and punish 33 him. 22:19 They will fine him one hundred shekels of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, for the man who made the accusation 34 ruined the reputation 35 of an Israelite virgin. She will then become his wife and he may never divorce her as long as he lives.

22:20 But if the accusation is true and the young woman was not a virgin, 22:21 the men of her city must bring the young woman to the door of her father’s house and stone her to death, for she has done a disgraceful thing 36 in Israel by behaving like a prostitute while living in her father’s house. In this way you will purge 37 evil from among you.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 16:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Now if Zahlanzi were somehow bluffing, and there is in fact no stoning to death of women for not being virgins in the Bible, this would be a smart post.

Since he is not bluffing, however, and anyone who has read the Bible knows that it calls for the stoning to death of women who are not virgins when they get married, it makes you look a little bit silly.
    it is a debating tactic. exhaust someone claiming something obvious with demands for proof.

if he provides it, he would have wasted a lot of time for it and you can prepare in the meantime.
    if he doesn't, you can claim the moral high ground and loudly dismiss him.

his problem (among others) is that i remember this passage quite well (where exactly it is) because it is perhaps the easiest way to dismiss the old testament laws as evil. so i didn't waste that much time.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 17:32

While up in Canada on Monday, I saw a TV program where a book (written about “red letter” editions of the Bible) was being advertised that dealt with what was called the specific “words of Jesus” in the Bible. Many of you will be familiar with the “red let ...[text shortened]... ut they are all the words of Jesus.

Ken Ham
    We need to remember the following passage:

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16–17)

“All Scripture” means Genesis to Revelation.

This raises some issues:

The canon on the Bible wasn't settled at the time of the above writing.

There is today, disagreement between Christian denominations on the books that make up the canon.

There are numerous translations.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 21:49
    "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" -- Ecclesiastes 3:1, KJV
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 21:51
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra

Not really.

Context is important.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 21:54
    it is a debating tactic. exhaust someone claiming something obvious with demands for proof.

if he provides it, he would have wasted a lot of time for it and you can prepare in the meantime.
    if he doesn't, you can claim the moral high ground and loudly dismiss him.

his problem (among others) is that i remember this passage quite well (where exactl ...[text shortened]... aps the easiest way to dismiss the old testament laws as evil. so i didn't waste that much time.
    Do you reckon that studying debating tactics is more important than studying scripture?

This is about all I get from your post.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 22:061 edit

Ken Ham
    Interesting post. Far more interesting than merely posting links then running away before commenting.

Edit: And then I get to the end of your post and see that they're not really your comments, only some more cut-and-paste written by Ken Ham. Disappointing.

I do have a "red-letter" version of the Bible among my Bibles, but it is the only one. All my others, and especially the one I "crack open most often" and read on a daily basis, are not "red-letter" versions. I usually only open the "red-letter" version when I have a question as to what exactly Jesus said, i.e. what came out of His mouth, on the subject involved.

As to the rest of the OP, all I have to say is that you're basically preaching to the choir. I think we all get what you're saying and that it's only a small minority who disagree.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 01:164 edits
    puberty was vaguely referenced somewhere in ezekiel as the minimum age for marriage.

thus: a man marrying a little girl (let's be generous and have her be 14 years old) can accuse her (a little girl) of not being a virgin. It is then up for the parents of the accused, NOT THE ACCUSER, to provide proof.

we have discussed this in the past already. i ...[text shortened]... ostitute while living in her father’s house. In this way you will purge 37 evil from among you.
    I don't remember discussing this. But its possible.

In my Bible Deuteronomy 22:13-30 comes under the heading of -

Concerning the Government among the People - cont'd
    Judgments on Matters Related to Marriage

"[T]he People" here are those who have just witnessed the power of God in the Exodus. These are the Hebrews who just witnessed the miraculous deliverance of God, the giving of His law, and founded the one and only genuinely theocratic nation on earth. The standard to which God held them was very high because their mission was very high morally, spiritually, ethically they were the hope of the rest of the earth.

What I see after the procedures to protect the MARRIED woman is the admittedly harsh capital punishment of the MARRIED woman found truly guilty of having committed fornication sometime before being married.

But if the claim is true - the girl was not found to be a virgin - They shall bring the girl out to the entrance of her father's house ... and the men of the city shall stone her with stones so that she dies; for she has done folly in Israel by committing fornication in her father's house. Thus you shall utterly remove the evil from your midst. (20,21)

There is no question that the punishment is awful.
    It is fearful and should have been a warning to any young woman wanting to marry.

If she KNEW that she had committed fornication the best thing to have done was to confess to her parents before she was given in marriage. Don't you think that loving parents would have known that she needed protection from her error? I think informed parents of a single young woman living in the parents house would have dispensed protective sympathy even though she had acted foolishly in fornicating while single.

There were other offerings such as the SIN offering, the TRESPASS offering, the CONSECRATION offering, the PEACE offering that the priests performed on behalf of people's sins of all kinds.

The single woman living at home who deliberately of her own accord fornicated, though having made an awful mistake, I don't see as having no other consequence before her but the death penalty.

She might not ever be permittted to marry.
    Or if the prospective husband was informed privately before the marriage, I don't see why the bonds of love could not in some instances forgive and cover the offense.

I guess as harsh as the penalty is I don't see it as the only inevitable outcome. Joseph upon being engaged to Mary found her to be with child (it was by the Holy Spirit). He did not have her stoned in front of her farther's house but thought to put her away privately.

The point being that the attitude of the HUSBAND is not dictated. Suppose the husband DOES NOT bring a charge ?

It is apparent that Moses knew that there would be hard cases. And he made provision for difficult cases with difficult circumstances.

Deuteronomy 17:8 - "If a case is too complicated for you to judge between one kind of homicide and another, or between one kind of civil suit and another, or between one kind of assault and another, being disputed cases within your gates, then you shall arise and go up to the place which Jehovah your God will choose; And you shall come to the Levitical priests and to the judge who is presiding in those days and investigate the matter; and they shall declare to you the sentence of judgment."

We see here provision for very difficult cases which were not so cut and dry.

The final goal seems to be to " purge evil from among you ".
    God meant to show that He meant business.
    But I doubt that stoning executions of young freshly married women happened frequently as if there was no other possible outcome.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree