1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 21:45
    http://phys.org/news/2015-02-myths-scientists-debunked.html

According to this, these are 7 common myths about scientists (you will have to read the link to read an elaboration of each one ) :

Myth 1: Researchers are paid by their research institutes

Myth 2: Researchers are paid to publish in journals

Myth 3: Researchers are paid for working long hours

Myth 4: Worthy research always gets funded

Myth 5: Researchers can claim costs of journal subscriptions and society memberships

Myth 6: Researchers are trained to write and to manage budgets

Myth 7: Researchers have a career for life
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 00:05
    Originally posted by humy
    http://phys.org/news/2015-02-myths-scientists-debunked.html

According to this, these are 7 common myths about scientists (you will have to read the link to read an elaboration of each one ) :

Myth 1: Researchers are paid by their research institutes

Myth 2: Researchers are paid to publish in journals

Myth 3: Researchers are paid for working long hou ...[text shortened]... archers are trained to write and to manage budgets

Myth 7: Researchers have a career for life
    Myth 1: I used to think this, but it seems that in the US getting federal grants is a big thing.

Myth 2: Nah, I would guess that's part of their job.

Myth 3: Ha -- this I would seriously doubt.

Myth 4: I'm not sure who actually believes this.

Myth 5: Some of these may be tax deductible in the US, but generally I don't think I would have subscribed to this myth.

Myth 6: Certainly not in the US. In particular researcher in the STEM fields tend to have abominable writing skills.

Myth 7: If they're tenured professors at a university, perhaps. Otherwise in the private sector you're about as disposable as a tampon.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 02:26
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Myth 1: I used to think this, but it seems that in the US getting federal grants is a big thing.

Myth 2: Nah, I would guess that's part of their job.

Myth 3: Ha -- this I would seriously doubt.

Myth 4: I'm not sure who actually believes this.

Myth 5: Some of these may be tax deductible in the US, but generally I don't think I would have su ...[text shortened]... a university, perhaps. Otherwise in the private sector you're about as disposable as a tampon.
    Well a PhD involves a thesis, so there is informal training in writing. But no one gives anyone any training in managing budgets except accountants and bookkeepers, that's what they're for and it is they who should be looking after the budgets in any well organised department.

I was expecting more of the type of "They're all unworldly" type myth. These one's are a little dull.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 09:26
    I don't understand... Aren't we all get paid for what we are doing?

Tell me anyone *not* getting paid for what he does professionally? If so, how does he provide for himself/herself and his/her family? We cannot live out of air and water alone, can we?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 17:59
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

Tell me anyone *not* getting paid for what he does professionally? If so, how does he provide for himself/herself and his/her family? We cannot live out of air and water alone, can we?
    Humy, no answer from you?

Does this mean that accept that you are wrong?
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 18:093 edits
    Humy, no answer from you?
    ?
    What, me? What was the question?
    If it is whether I get paid, the answer is no because I have been made redundant since the recession.
    I also wouldn't deny the scientists generally get paid for doing research.

Does this mean that accept that you are wrong?

wrong about what?
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 21:46

Can you point to the statement in the thread where humy, or for that matter any of the rest of us, has suggested that scientists should work for free?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree