1. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 06:21
    GM Tomashevsky has just won the Gran prix tourney in Tbilisi. For his efforts he received $22,390. and gained 29 rating points. He is now 17th in the world. When you consider their travel expenses, top GMs aren't making much money...
  2. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 12:18
    Originally posted by woadman
    GM Tomashevsky has just won the Gran prix tourney in Tbilisi. For his efforts he received $22,390. and gained 29 rating points. He is now 17th in the world. When you consider their travel expenses, top GMs aren't making much money...
    maybe chess money comes from other sources. winning tournaments is ok, but the big money comes from was it is involved to make possible that tournament
  3. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 14:20
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    maybe chess money comes from other sources. winning tournaments is ok, but the big money comes from was it is involved to make possible that tournament
    Sorry, I did not understand your comment. You mean players get money from some other source ?
  4. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 16:23
    Sorry, I did not understand your comment. You mean players get money from some other source ?
    Maybe I mean other people make money from the activity of players: Tournament Organizers, FIDE Managers.....etc, etc....
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 16:35
    Sponsorship and so forth.
  6. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 21:06
    Thats because the Gran prix tournaments are just qualifiers for the candidates tournament. If you win the candidates then you will have a slice of the world championship purse which was 1.5 mil in the last championship. So it depends on what you mean by "Top GMs"
  7. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 12:291 edit
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    Thats because the Gran prix tournaments are just qualifiers for the candidates tournament. If you win the candidates then you will have a slice of the world championship purse which was 1.5 mil in the last championship. So it depends on what you mean by "Top GMs"
    as a matter of fact it is noticeable that money is important in chess, from very high stakes to selling tickets for a tournament..... or from memberships in a chess club http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/grandmaster-looks-to-rebrand-chess-with-high-stakes-tournament/article21115832/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree